help with speaker configuation. What Hz? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an onkyo receiver that will do the set up for me, but never seems quite right to me. I have the onkyo Tx NR808, emotiva xpa 3, Paradigm Monitor 9's up front, monitor cc-290 (soon to be 390 center), adp 390 rears and ultracube 12 sub. crossovers are currently set as follows: center is at 80hz (thx), fronts are 50hz, and rears are set at 90hz. Does this seem right? I'm trying to dial in the best possible sound and curious what you guys think. Mostly set up for movies. Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-category/floorstanding/paradigm/monitor-series-7/monitor-9

The Monitor 9's play down to 46hz so that seems to be right on target.

I'll let you check the center and surrounds.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 13
I cant speak for your speakers, but usually non full range speakers (Def Techs are full range) tend to roll of at around 80hz or even higher very quickly and dramatically. Even though they specify the frequency response is far lower. i have a some speakers that specify a low end of 43hz, yet i still set the crossover to 70 and let my mid bass sub handle that audio, the sound is much better. Heres what i suggest throw on this song: Teisto the storm, it has a great disparity between highs and lows with alot of mid bass so its a good test, and run your speakers without subs one channel at a time. and see how the low end sounds while changing the crossover. Then pulg in the subs and listen again. Really its your choice, but i wouldnt set any speaker below 70hz unless i am sure it will do work at that level.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrjnky View Post

I have an onkyo receiver that will do the set up for me, but never seems quite right to me. I have the onkyo Tx NR808, emotiva xpa 3, Paradigm Monitor 9's up front, monitor cc-290 (soon to be 390 center), adp 390 rears and ultracube 12 sub. crossovers are currently set as follows: center is at 80hz (thx), fronts are 50hz, and rears are set at 90hz. Does this seem right? I'm trying to dial in the best possible sound and curious what you guys think. Mostly set up for movies. Thanks in advance.
Ryan

I think you should be more specific about your system's weakness. You are only saying "never seems quite right". Try to state what you are missing.
You are using a sub, so I would set all speakers to "small" and crossover to all speakers to 80HZ. This will redirect bass from 80HZ and below to the sub. Of course all speaker levels as well as speaker delays need to be set properly for a balanced sound at the seating area.

Espo77
post #5 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Operator View Post

I cant speak for your speakers, but usually non full range speakers (Def Techs are full range) tend to roll of at around 80hz or even higher very quickly and dramatically. Even though they specify the frequency response is far lower. i have a some speakers that specify a low end of 43hz, yet i still set the crossover to 70 and let my mid bass sub handle that audio, the sound is much better. Heres what i suggest throw on this song: Teisto the storm, it has a great disparity between highs and lows with alot of mid bass so its a good test, and run your speakers without subs one channel at a time. and see how the low end sounds while changing the crossover. Then pulg in the subs and listen again. Really its your choice, but i wouldnt set any speaker below 70hz unless i am sure it will do work at that level.

His L/R speaker specs are:

Frequency Response:
On-Axis
30° Off-Axis
±2 dB from 46 Hz - 22 kHz
±2 dB from 46 Hz - 18 kHz

Meaning they roll off -2db at 46hz. They are not 'non-full range'. And with the XPA-3 driving them there should be no lack for power even with that low a crossover setting.

Since Audyssey allows you to set the crossover where you want it why not experiment?
Audyssey sets my mains at 50hz - center at 80hz - and the surrounds at 90hz. I use an external amp with 525wpc to drive the mains and could probably set the crossover for them at full range but this works for me.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1352
Quote:

I have an onkyo receiver that will do the set up for me, but never seems quite right to me. I have...ultracube 12 sub.
Only one? From an output standpoint you may find one twelve adequate, but from a room response standpoint it's very difficult to get a really good result with only one sub. You need at least two, one at the front of the room and one at the back, to smooth room modes.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I was just on the phone with paradigm tech. He told me to rerun my oddyssey to see what happens. It set my fronts to 40hz, my center to 50hz and my rears to 50hz. That's just crazy. Paradigm tech told me the center and fronts should be set at 80 and the rears to 90/100. I told him that I thought the fronts should be set around 50 due to the specs and he said I would be losing out on some sounds. He said that 80 would be best and that's what most of them set them at. That's how I have it now and we'll see. Hard to really tell with the wife home. she doesn't like it loud.

I would actually love to find another ultracube 12, but they are so expensive. The one I have, I found on craigslist a couple years back and got an amazing deal on it. Keeping my eye out for another!!smile.gif

post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I was just on the phone with paradigm tech. He told me to rerun my oddyssey to see what happens. It set my fronts to 40hz, my center to 50hz and my rears to 50hz. That's just crazy. Paradigm tech told me the center and fronts should be set at 80 and the rears to 90/100. I told him that I thought the fronts should be set around 50 due to the specs and he said I would be losing out on some sounds. He said that 80 would be best and that's what most of them set them at. That's how I have it now and we'll see. Hard to really tell with the wife home. she doesn't like it loud.

I would actually love to find another ultracube 12, but they are so expensive. The one I have, I found on craigslist a couple years back and got an amazing deal on it. Keeping my eye out for another!!smile.gif

I rest my case.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1352
Quote:

Paradigm tech told me the center and fronts should be set at 80 and the rears to 90/100.
If he was able to do that over the phone without seeing an RTA of your system his last name must be Kreskin. rolleyes.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page