OPINIONS NEEDED: Are in-ceiling speakers effective as back surrounds in this particular situation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Last night I notched out the walls for my Polk 65RTs (left and right surrounds). The plan is to run these speakers along with RTi A7's in front and CSiA6 as CC (all timbre-matched obviously) in a 5.1 or 5.2 format. I still am deciding whether or not to go with 1 or 2 subs up front but I've wired the room for both so I have the option. A couple of nights ago another forum member Carlos (who has graciously been helping me along) suggested that I think long and hard about adding BACK surrounds to the mix and go with 7.1 / 7.2. And, after some exploration, I determined that I can easily install two in the ceiling in the back area and fish the wires back to my bulkhead which is serving as my "conduit" to where I will have my equipment rack anyway.

I'd rather not spend another $300 on back surrounds (overkill in my book) so I am considering the Polk RCi80's. The RCi80's are generally priced at $99/pair and I'll only pay $62 when its all said and done. Although the RCi80's are not technically timbre-matched to the RTi series, I would think they should do just fine. The 70-RT, 90-RT and 620-RT in-ceiling Polks (which are timbre-matched to the RTi series) run $195, $297 and $127 respectively EACH! eek.gif

I am currently in the "rough-in" stages of wiring everything and building an equipment rack before any remodeling and painting occurs. Here is a look at my basement layout thru 2 panoramic views...pardon my workbench/table in the photo...

(the back area is on left in this photo)

(the back area is on right in this photo)

Here is a shot of the back section from the side (seating area would be on the other side of the bulkhead - off to the right of the photo)...

In the above pic, I have marked with red X's where the two back surround speakers could go (in between joists obviously).

First question: Do you all agree that I could get away withRCi80's as back surrounds in this scenario? How much different can they really sound?

Second question: If I went with the RCi80's...would it make sense to try to direct the swivel tweeters towards the back wall so they reflect back off the wall and under the bulkhead towards the seating area? Is that not a good thing acoustically?

I mounted the regular surrounds a little higher than norm because we will most likely be using all speakers for listening to music when we are down in the basement entertaining. If I do the back surrounds, they too could be used for listening to music. I should also note that putting the back surrounds on or in the back wall is not an option because we will putting in a bar/counter top, cabinets, refrigerator, etc. along most of that wall (floor to ceiling). Plus, getting the wires there would be virtually impossible without really tearing into the drywall. I've done extremely well at minimizing that up to this point.

So what would you do? Add the back surrounds or skip it???

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page