Need help connecting active speakers to a laptop. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
veegee92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, so I'm about to get a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 5s (has RCA and XLR) and I just wanted to know what would be the best way i could hook it up to my macbook pro so as to get the best audio quality out of them. Would I need an external sound card? Anything else? I'm pretty new to this so any help would be appreciated!
veegee92 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
PCMusicGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Easiest way would be to just use a 3.5mm stereo plug (headphone) to 2 RCA "y" cable (see example at link below). I would recommend trying that first and see how you like the sound. After that, you are looking at either a USB DAC or standalone DAC or Receiver with an optical input.

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2300
PCMusicGuy is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,717
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy View Post

Easiest way would be to just use a 3.5mm stereo plug (headphone) to 2 RCA "y" cable (see example at link below). I would recommend trying that first and see how you like the sound. After that, you are looking at either a USB DAC or standalone DAC or Receiver with an optical input.

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2300

Agreed. Try hooking it up without a DAC first. You might be satisfied without one.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
jevans64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have the Airmotiv 5's and currently have them connected directly to my computer using a $3 3.5mm to RCA adapter. I'm looking at either the Emotiva XDA-2 DAC or possibly the UMC-200 7.1 prepro so I can also use it as an HDMI+Audio switcher for several computers I have in my computer room. Emotiva has a couple more DACs/Processors coming down the pike that will probably have both analog and digital inputs, namely the Stealth DC-1 and Executive Pre-1. These two will be half-rack, 2U boxes instead of a full-rack box.

I'm getting absolutely NO background hum/noise on the Airmotiv 5's using the built-in Realtek ALC-889 chipset with an analog connection.

I'd consider the Emotiva XDA-2 because there are very few, if any, DACs in the $400 range that use the C-Media 6631 USB chipset that can stream 24/192 via USB. The only real negative is the lack of analog input on the XDA-2 for tape decks, turntables, etc.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
jevans64 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,717
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
That's some serious equipment you are thinking about, jevans smile.gif

But I think the OP could do very well without spending that much. For instance, I just bought the ODAC built by JDS Labs for $149. Would work great with your speakers. Nice thing about it for laptop use is that's tiny. Here it is next to my G400 mouse



Ever want to add a headphone amp to it, you'd have a nice portable setup to use with your laptop and good cans.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
jevans64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

That's some serious equipment you are thinking about, jevans smile.gif

But I think the OP could do very well without spending that much. For instance, I just bought the ODAC built by JDS Labs for $149. Would work great with your speakers. Nice thing about it for laptop use is that's tiny. Here it is next to my G400 mouse



Ever want to add a headphone amp to it, you'd have a nice portable setup to use with your laptop and good cans.

Yes. I actually took a look at this DIY design when I was researching DACs. That would be fine for a single source in using UAC1 but you'd still have the lack of 24/192 and 24/88 over USB. Any media in those formats would have to be down-sampled to 24/96 or 24/44. Getting the option for an analog input ( headphone amp ) would push the price to nearly $300 with the adapter. That is only $100 less than the XDA-2, which would be way more versatile and $300 less than the UMC-200, but we are talking about HUGE chassis compared to even the O2+ODAC. I'd probably opt for the Audioengine D1 at $170, which has the headphone input and supports all the proprietary SACD formats in a size that is about twice as thick as the ODAC... the differences between the AKM and ESS Sabre DAC not withstanding.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
jevans64 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,717
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Yes. I actually took a look at this DIY design when I was researching DACs. That would be fine for a single source in using UAC1 but you'd still have the lack of 24/192 and 24/88 over USB. Any media in those formats would have to be down-sampled to 24/96 or 24/44. Getting the option for an analog input ( headphone amp ) would push the price to nearly $300 with the adapter. That is only $100 less than the XDA-2, which would be way more versatile and $300 less than the UMC-200, but we are talking about HUGE chassis compared to even the O2+ODAC. I'd probably opt for the Audioengine D1 at $170, which has the headphone input and supports all the proprietary SACD formats in a size that is about twice as thick as the ODAC... the differences between the AKM and ESS Sabre DAC not withstanding.

A majority of people don't own any music at that sampling and bit rate since CDs are 16/44, and even most bluray is only 24/48. And even if they did, I suspect that most would find it difficult (if not impossible) to tell the difference between the downsampled version and the original with a $500 pair of studio monitors. Even the XLR connections on those speakers are probably more beneficial as a marketing gimmick for Emotiva than they are useful for producing better audible sound.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
UofAZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
If you find your getting a buzzing from your powered speakers just attach a ground loop isolator between the RCA connectors and speakers. Worked for me.
UofAZ1 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off