Hifi system for parents/Better solution than Bose Lifestyle 135? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I asked my parents to bring me an Access Point for their WLAN. What they came back with was a Bose advertisement and the plan to spend EUR 2,700 on a Bose Lifestyle 135 system. They say the sound in the local electronics store was awesome and they want to get rid of their old Marantz Hifi rack, get new speakers (which they really need), and get rid of the cables.

Now I don't really know much about the system, but the price seems pretty high for the fact that you basically get a speaker, a subwoofer, and a receiver and Apple dock. It seems you're paying a lot for brand and out-of-the-box convenience. I could be wrong though.

My question: Given the budget (or ideally less) are there better solutions? I was already thinking about building them an XBMC box, so I could combine everything and come up with a better solution if possible. They actually don't care so much about movies and home theater; what they basically want is a nice looking, easy-to-use Hifi system with a good sound and no cables that integrates TV, radio, DVD/CD/Bluray, and iPod/iPad with one universal remote. On the other hand, I never really showed them an XBMC cetup (I am still working on mine) but only talked about it, and I guess they could like it once they see it.

Any ideas? What would you do with the budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Well if you're able to convince them you can setup something better, of course you can beat bose sound quality

$145
Wireless transmitter/receiver for 2 speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Soundcast-SCS100-SurroundCast-System/dp/B003F7R7SI/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

Wireless transmitter/receiver for sub $170
http://www.amazon.com/Soundcast-SOU-SCK510-Wireless-Transmitter-Subwoofers/dp/B001UE8J4E/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359222793&sr=1-16&keywords=wireless+speaker+receiver+and+transmitter

Wirless HDMI transmitter/receiver $190
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-NAVS500-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B005H3AU1Y/ref=pd_sim_e_9

So for around $500 you can turn any AV receiver and 2.1 speaker/sub combo into a completely wireless setup, meaning all the AV equipment could be stashed in some random cabinet somewhere in the living room, with a pair of speakers, a sub, and the tv having no wires other then where you stash their individual wireless connections. I'm guessing you're in Europe, so you're going to have to find comparable products locally, and if you want receiver/speaker/sub recommendations letting us know what's available locally would help.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Liked: 19
Holy crap, did you say TWENTY SEVEN HUNDRED EUROS? THAT'S $3600 for a BOSE.

You better take away their credit card, don't ever let them spend that kind of money on Bose.

Are they opposed to a 2.1 system + receiver? Like Jay said, you could hide all the stuff away somewhere.
post #4 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM

I just bought the Bose Lifesytle 135 today for $2099. No tax and free shipping. That price is everywhere until Feb. 2. I can't wait to hear it with my new 55" VT50 plasma. My room is 14X12 and square so it should sound amazing!
post #5 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Arnold View Post

I just bought the Bose Lifesytle 135 today for $2099. No tax and free shipping. That price is everywhere until Feb. 2. I can't wait to hear it with my new 55" VT50 plasma. My room is 14X12 and square so it should sound amazing!
Sorry, but using a Bose Lifestyle with a 55" is akin to putting a tar paper roof on a mansion. mad.gif
You should have asked here first.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That $2100 price is about $1500 more then that system is really worth... Like Bill said you should have came here and asked. There are soundbar styled speakers that will demolish the bose, and then there's the sub...

For example

AT FS4000 $1100
http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Technology-FS-4000-GLB-Theater-Soundbar/dp/B000FECFE0

Pio 1122 $380
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117411

Wireless sub transmitter $170
http://www.amazon.com/Soundcast-SOU-SCK510-Wireless-Transmitter-Subwoofers/dp/B001UE8J4E/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359222793&sr=1-16&keywords=wireless+speaker+receiver+and+transmitter

Real subwoofer $350
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&Tpk=rw12d
post #7 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM

yea...to each there own!!
post #8 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I just bought the Bose Lifesytle 135 today for $2099...... My room is 14X12 and square so it should sound amazing!

Steeerike 1.....and 2 tongue.gif
post #9 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 AM

Liked: 12
Lol you guys or so mean, some people don't like paying attention to details and just like enjoying Bose smooth and bass oriented sound, but for what you get (cheap cabinets, spring clip connectors) they are very expensive.

You should look at (and I would take anyday) the Pioneer SP-FS52's (or lowend polks or wharfedale or klipsch) over Bose, will save a lot of money but if your parents think the Bose sounds better and you have the $ why not make them happy? Bose has away of making every thing bass heavy and full sounding without being muddy bass heavy.
post #10 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Bass oriented!? the day bose has a subwoofer will be the first!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #11 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Bass oriented!? the day bose has a subwoofer will be the first!
You know what I mean that think mid bass that makes stuff sound full but really just mask detail

What do you mean by hi-fi? By hi-fi I think of a 2.0 system dedicated to music, but do they really just want a home theater or TV speaker?
post #12 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

wow... my room is also 12 x 14, but it's not square... it's a rectangle... 2 sides are longer that the other 2. or is that still a square like yours? Do you think that Bose Lifestyle 13... blah, blah. will be able to tell a difference between your 12 x 14 square and my 12 x 14 rectangle., or am I going out of bounds by asking if ANY bose system wouldn't automatically be able to detect and correct for my "out of square" 12 x 14 room.

Please help me understand what I've got wrong, because all I've heard from any sources that seem to know what they're talking about, is that Bose is overpriced for what they deliver, to say the least. Have you compared it to anything else, or are you just going by marketing schpiel ?

smile.gif please, help me understand where you're coming from, so I can help you go farther...

...what a long, strange trip its been.
post #13 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 02:35 AM

So I said it was square and was'nt being percise. I love how people on-line "try" to show if they are smart. It's just a freakin sound setup not the end of the world!! I can afford Bose easily and I like the way they sound. I'm sorry you don't. I can care less either way!!
post #14 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 AM

Liked: 21
Bose makes "cool" looking convienient compact systems that mostly appeal to women and inexperienced buyers fooled buy Bose marketing hype.

The systems would be more respected from audio enthusiasts if the cost were more inline with the quality! But if the buyers of the systems are happy and satisfied, that is what matters most anyway.
post #15 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

Bose makes "cool" looking convienant compact systems that mostly appeal to women and inexperienced buyers fooled buy Bose marketing hype.

The systems would be more respected from audio enthusiasts if the cost were more inline with the quality! But if the buyers of the systems are happy and satisfied, that is what matters most anyway.
Pretty good sum up

I would take them more seriously if they had binding post like every other speaker over $100
post #16 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I said it was square and was'nt being percise. I love how people on-line "try" to show if they are smart. It's just a freakin sound setup not the end of the world!! I can afford Bose easily and I like the way they sound. I'm sorry you don't. I can care less either way!!

I think that's really what you're caught on rolleyes.gif The point is you can get better for less.

FYI, the average person around here spends more the $2k on a sound system
post #17 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Bose systems...no subwoofer, no decent lows! Bose systems...no tweeters,no decent highs. Bose systems...small drivers, no big sound (not even Bose can defy physics!)
But what Bose does offer is mediocre sound that comes in a small package that is room friendly and easy to set up and use!

post #18 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

some people don't like paying attention to details and just like enjoying Bose smooth and bass oriented sound
What bass? rolleyes.gif
The phrase 'Got no highs, got no lows, must be Bose' was first coined forty odd years ago, referring to what's still their top of the line speaker, the 901. Well, top of their line, anyway. They haven't gotten any better.
rics17 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #19 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
It's really hard to tell when people are being serious or not in these Bose threads. I feel like Brent Arnold has got to be joking! Brent, if you're after good sound and want something small, look into some bookshelf speakers and an entry level receiver. You could spend $500 bucks and blow that Bose away. Those bookshelf speakers will produce more bass than a Bose "subwoofer". That said, you can take that leftover money and go buy another toy, or mail it to me, if throwing away money is your thing.

Although, it can sometimes seem like people are picking on a Bose buyer, we're usually just trying to tell a member that they can do a lot better.

To the OP, for the love of God, at that price, take your parents' money away and slap them. Then go buy them something else. Tell them you'll set it up and they can give you the leftover money as a fee for the fifteen minutes of labor you provided!
rics17 likes this.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #20 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 PM

K well this thread is obviously garbage and people care more about bashing bose and brent arnold than helping the OP so im done
post #21 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM

I remember making my Bose mistakes. I did not do any research and immediately headed to Best Buy and picked up the 3-2-1 system which is a 2.1 system for $899. At the time I thought it was the best sound out there so about a year later I headed to the Bose store and I picked up the Acoustimass 10 along with an Onkyo receiver for about $1000. I hooked it up and again I thought it was simply awesome.

I even visited this forum prior to the second purchase and completely ignored what mostly all said about the lack of quality of Bose. I just had the same attitude as Brent Arnold and said too each his own. Boy was I ever wrong!!!!!!!

I came upon this realization when I visited a friend and watched a movie and immediately noticed how impressive was his sound system. I asked him how much he paid and told me less than $500 (he has Energy Take 5.1 w/Yamaha 373C receiver). The second I got home I watched the same movie and then realized the mistakes I made with my purchases. I spent about $2000 on garbage whereas my friend saved $1500 and is very happy.

I then auditioned brands like Aperion, Klipsch and finally settled on Energy and am EXTREMELY happy with them. The difference is night and day. I now moved my Bose to my bedroom where I quickly grew tired of the noise generated by the Acoustimass Module and replaced my bedroom with some cheap Polks I got on sale at Best Buy. It is amazing how the $183 I spent on the Polks just destroys the Bose quality. It is just not funny and I understand as to why MrEastSide cannot even take these posts seriously lol!!

Brent, I really hope you do like them since I know how it feels like to overspend. I just dread the day you visit a friend and hear the difference then arrive home only to surf the web for replacement speakers.

To the OP.....avoid the Bose and get anything else. ANYTHING!!!
post #22 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

So...scaryfat, can you show us the tested measurements that show Bose can measure as well or better than other systems?
Can you show us the professional reviews where Bose was compared to other brands and scored well in sound quality!?
If the op and mr Arnold are happy with their choices, good for them! But don't expect a site with lots of audiophiles to pat them on the back for it!

post #23 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

K well this thread is obviously garbage and people care more about bashing bose and brent arnold than helping the OP so im done

You might not care for the manner in which it was done. But we did help the OP. We just saved his parents over $3,000 dollars on some plastic and paper.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #24 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

First of all, thank you all for your replies. Thanks in particular for the product recommendations. I will look through it and see if I can find them here in Germany.

I think it's helpful if I am more precise what my parents want and not want:

• They basically want to have a solution that plays back music (CD/DVD/BluRay, Radio, iPod) and TV sound. They don't really care about Home Theater and movies, but maybe they like it once I show them (I should hurry with my own system so I have something to show). They barely watch DVDs and don't have a BluRay; the main reason though seems to be that the DVD player is used as a CD player on their Marantz rack and they neither like to move it to the TV nor having a cable in the living room.
  • They want to have something wireless that is unobstrusive. That's also the main reason why they don't want to have a 5.1 or even 7.2 system: When they think of 5.1 systems they think of being surrounded by speakers and cables. I guess I could sell them on a 5.1 system if the speakers are small and wireless and you don't need a PhD to calculate the right angles to adjust them. A 2.1 or 3.1 system be preferred though I think.
  • They would probably prefer an AV receiver that has "all-in-one" rather than having a separate device for everything. The best probably would be an AV receiver with BluRay and Apple dock integrated. They already have the satellite receiver next to the plasma, and they don't want many more devices there.
  • They seem to like those soundbars, because for them they look simple, nice, and unobstrusive, but a 2.1 or 3.1 would work as well I think.
  • Indeed they are not on a shoestring, but I personally find EUR 2,700 way too much for a system that is supposed to play music every once in a while. I wouldn't mind if I could get them something for less than that and spend the rest for something else like a nice HTPC or even a new TV.
  • It should be a stable system. They admit they are willing to pay more just for the service that someone is coming to their place and setting up and fixing things when needed. However, since we are talking about a sound system here and not a self-built HTPC I believe you just plugin cables and it's good to go.
  • They have a Samsung plasma that is probably 4-5 years old, an old cheapish DVD player, Sony CD player, and a Technics cassette player on the old Marantz receiver

If you could point me to:
a) a general solution/setup/technology (ie. 2.1 vs 3.1 vs 5.1, soundbar vs no soundbar, what kind of devices, etc.)
b) specific products
would be appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

So for around $500 you can turn any AV receiver and 2.1 speaker/sub combo into a completely wireless setup, meaning all the AV equipment could be stashed in some random cabinet somewhere in the living room, with a pair of speakers, a sub, and the tv having no wires other then where you stash their individual wireless connections. I'm guessing you're in Europe, so you're going to have to find comparable products locally, and if you want receiver/speaker/sub recommendations letting us know what's available locally would help.
How stable is such setup ie. those wireless transmitters/receivers? Worst case would be if the sound is bad because the signal is too weak or if they have to fumble around with network things. And, yes, I am in Europe, Germany to be precise. So if you can recommend products available here would be great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Are they opposed to a 2.1 system + receiver?
No, I think a 2.1 or 3.1 system would be fine as long as the speakers are small and unobstrusive. I think what they don't want is a big 5.1/7.2 setup making them feel like sitting in a bunch of speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Holy crap, did you say TWENTY SEVEN HUNDRED EUROS? THAT'S $3600 for a BOSE.
Funny enough, on the Bose US website their price is only $2,100. That's a bit more than EUR 1,500 which sounds a bit more friendly. In fact, EUR 2,700 is the "official price" on the Bose website and the salesman in the local electronics store was willing to throw in any BluRay player they like for free and give EUR 100 discount for any old device in return. So it seems they are selling it for the original rather than the retail price and the margin is obvious.
Quote:

You should look at (and I would take anyday) the Pioneer SP-FS52's (or lowend polks or wharfedale or klipsch) over Bose
Thanks. Any recommendations for Polks/Wharfedale/Klipsch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Tell them you'll set it up and they can give you the leftover money as a fee for the fifteen minutes of labor you provided!
Haha, funny enough mom today mentioned that lol. No, really, I honestly think they should enjoy spending their money now after the kids are out of the house and they have their hard-earned money for themselves. They postponed their own desires their whole life to provide their kids a good life and education, so I actually feel a little bad being the party-pooper. On the other hand, I want them to get value for their money, and to enjoy what they buy. They are not the generation who knows they how to use the internet to ask people on forums what to buy. They are used to going to the local electronics store and let a salesman tell them stuff. I'm okay with that as long as they are not cheated, and in this case it feels like that a little; the price is just so high for a simple Bose system.
post #25 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 881
fwiw , i would seriously look at the monitor audio silver rx series book shelves and center

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #26 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays View Post

First of all, thank you all for your replies. Thanks in particular for the product recommendations. I will look through it and see if I can find them here in Germany.

• They basically want to have a solution that plays back music (CD/DVD/BluRay, Radio, iPod) and TV sound. They don't really care about Home Theater and movies, but maybe they like it once I show them (I should hurry with my own system so I have something to show). They barely watch DVDs and don't have a BluRay; the main reason though seems to be that the DVD player is used as a CD player on their Marantz rack and they neither like to move it to the TV nor having a cable in the living room.
  • They want to have something wireless that is unobstrusive. That's also the main reason why they don't want to have a 5.1 or even 7.2 system: When they think of 5.1 systems they think of being surrounded by speakers and cables. I guess I could sell them on a 5.1 system if the speakers are small and wireless and you don't need a PhD to calculate the right angles to adjust them. A 2.1 or 3.1 system be preferred though I think.
  • They would probably prefer an AV receiver that has "all-in-one" rather than having a separate device for everything. The best probably would be an AV receiver with BluRay and Apple dock integrated. They already have the satellite receiver next to the plasma, and they don't want many more devices there.
  • They seem to like those soundbars, because for them they look simple, nice, and unobstrusive, but a 2.1 or 3.1 would work as well I think.
  • Indeed they are not on a shoestring, but I personally find EUR 2,700 way too much for a system that is supposed to play music every once in a while. I wouldn't mind if I could get them something for less than that and spend the rest for something else like a nice HTPC or even a new TV.
  • It should be a stable system. They admit they are willing to pay more just for the service that someone is coming to their place and setting up and fixing things when needed. However, since we are talking about a sound system here and not a self-built HTPC I believe you just plugin cables and it's good to go.
  • They have a Samsung plasma that is probably 4-5 years old, an old cheapish DVD player, Sony CD player, and a Technics cassette player on the old Marantz receiver

a) a general solution/setup/technology (ie. 2.1 vs 3.1 vs 5.1, soundbar vs no soundbar, what kind of devices, etc.)
b) specific products
would be appreciated!
How stable is such setup ie. those wireless transmitters/receivers? Worst case would be if the sound is bad because the signal is too weak or if they have to fumble around with network things. And, yes, I am in Europe, Germany to be precise. So if you can recommend products available here would be great!
No, I think a 2.1 or 3.1 system would be fine as long as the speakers are small and unobstrusive. I think what they don't want is a big 5.1/7.2 setup making them feel like sitting in a bunch of speakers.
Funny enough, on the Bose US website their price is only $2,100. That's a bit more than EUR 1,500 which sounds a bit more friendly. In fact, EUR 2,700 is the "official price" on the Bose website and the salesman in the local electronics store was willing to throw in any BluRay player they like for free and give EUR 100 discount for any old device in return. So it seems they are selling it for the original rather than the retail price and the margin is obvious.
Haha, funny enough mom today mentioned that lol. No, really, I honestly think they should enjoy spending their money now after the kids are out of the house and they have their hard-earned money for themselves. They postponed their own desires their whole life to provide their kids a good life and education, so I actually feel a little bad being the party-pooper. On the other hand, I want them to get value for their money, and to enjoy what they buy. They are not the generation who knows they how to use the internet to ask people on forums what to buy. They are used to going to the local electronics store and let a salesman tell them stuff. I'm okay with that as long as they are not cheated, and in this case it feels like that a little; the price is just so high for a simple Bose system.

Odds are, your parents would really enjoy the simplicity of a Bose product. The problem is, it's soooo overpriced for what you get. I'm sure other members can chime in with some suggestions as I don't use a lot of wireless devices. But, do your best to find something other than Bose. They could go on a nice vacation with the saved money, for crying out loud!

Quote:
post #27 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays View Post

b) specific products
would be appreciated!

I'm not sure how well all of that wireless stuff works. In all honesty, if this setup is going to be place around the TV/entertainment center, hiding wires is very easy. Not sure if there's space for a sub up front, but the wireless sub transmitters do work pretty well. I'm not aware of any all-in-one blueray receivers. If they're okay with having a separate blueray player there are quite a few options, like this

http://www.denon.de/de/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=SpeakerDocks&SubId=NetworkMusicSystems&ProductId=CEOLPiccolo

Add a sub to that, and possibly different speakers if needed.
post #28 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM

The problem with wireless speakers is you still need a power outlet and a wire to the adapter ,so more wires they just don't run all across the room.

Actually the pioneers, Polks and Wharfedales will probably be to big unless you made the whole system out of there smallest book shelves (not a bad thing) my new suggestions would be something like the Energy take classic. To have small speakers to make them happy you going to want a sub woofer somewhere.

The only receivers that have build in DVD bluray players are junk so just force them to deal with 1 AV receiver and 1 bluray player and get them a universal remote.

Pioneer 1022-k from amazon=$250

Energy take classic=$400 (ill try to think of some similar options but anything small with wireless surround adapters will work, or 4 bookshelves and a center channel like the Wharfledale diamond 10.0/10.1 or polk TSi stuff)(you could use the 10sr in the back and the 10.1's in the front if they aren't to big otherwise the 10.0's but the 10.1's are better for the money)

$1-200 universal remote and wost case you spent $900 and you have over $1000 left over to pay someone to install it all and hid all the wires and set up you universal remote for them or go with in-wall speaker for the rears smile.gif
post #29 of 32 Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Alright I listened and got these:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk TL350 + PSW 111 (came free)
Around $1900.
My room is 14X12 so I dod'nt need a bigger sub.
post #30 of 32 Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Alright I listened and got these:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk TL350 + PSW 111 (came free)
Around $1900.
My room is 14X12 so I dod'nt need a bigger sub.

I think you will be very happy with your new setup. Take the time to run Audyssey in as many listening positions as you can and I think you will really appreciate what your new system can do.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page