Bookshelf Opinions Wanted - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Upgrading front 3 bookshelves in Home Theater room. Currently have SVS entry level and SVS PB10nsd sub. Room is 16 x 10 x 9 enclosed. Movies 60%, TV mostly sports 30% and Music 10%. So obviously movie performance is the primary priority.
My budget is 1000 to 1400 for the three. I have listened to most, and am considering:

AON 2 (loved the 3 but just out of reach)
Monitor Audio Silver XB1 (only heard on music, very good for price) How are they for Movies?
Paradigm Mini Monitors or SE series (Love the Studio 20s but they have gotten silly priced)
Ascend Sierra 1s or CMT-340 SE (Internet, so have not heard, but great reviews) anxious for opinions here
Axiom M22
B&W 685

What am I missing? ? ?

Kind of wondering if the 5.25 inch woofer models are up to the task of heavy movies (though the little SVS did a fine job)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I replaced some Axiom M22s with the Arx A1 bookshelf. 5.25" woofers can do quite good if they are of high quality like the Arx XBL2 woofer, the Sierra bookshelf is another with a top notch 5.25" woofer that puts to shame some 6.5" woofers.

The A1b is definitely worth a look. http://www.theaudioinsider.com/manufacturers.php?mPath=13

Out of the ones you mentioned the Sierra, Paradigm, and Monitor Silver would be the only ones I would really consider. The Axiom M22 is $500 and is out classed by most of your other choices, if you just gotta have Axiom then its there best bookshelf but agains the current competition theres better choices for less.

I've not been impressed with any of the Golden Ear speakers, but that was only in a show room i've never demo'd them in home. Never felt they were a very good value at all.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR5197 View Post

Monitor Audio Silver XB1 (only heard on music, very good for price) How are they for Movies?

Kind of wondering if the 5.25 inch woofer models are up to the task of heavy movies (though the little SVS did a fine job)

Monitor Audio Silver speakers, can handle music and home theater - and are nice

I do not run from 5.25 inch woofers - I own and have owned some speakers with
those size woofers, that out-classed some bigger size speakers.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I had seen the ARX and they looked very interesting. Just hadn't heard much about them. I guess I didn't think a $200 speaker would stand up well against a $400.
So, you thought they outperformed the M22s and the AON? What didn't you like about the AONs?
Have you heard the Sierra's? I'm kind of intrigued with them. Plus the CMTs seem like a heck of a deal, not unlike the ARX?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Have demo'd the AON only the GE towers and was unimpressed with the midrange (weak) and seemed bloated in the midbass. Axiom M22 had ZERO midbass or fullness and is very cheap in its build quality, sounded strained and unnatural at higher volumes, its woofers are actually 4.25" with the frame adding the extra 1" to 5.25". The two drivers together in the Axiom has the same surface area a 6" woofer. I've only listened to the Sierra for a short while at a co workers house who I told to look into Ascend for his new speakers. CMT 340 is a great deal and would outperform the Arx A1b, but the soon to be released A2b will be inline with the 340SE performance wise. The A1b holds it own and actually has better bass (according to one user) than the Ascend 170SE. The Arx A1b is $299 plus shipping so its no where near being outclassed by any of the ones you mentioned. Although you maybe prefer the sound of one over the other.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another alternative in your range are the psb Image B6 bookshelf speakers with the C5 center channel.

"Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone heard the Aon 2 or 3? Movie speaker recommendations (3 front) for 1000 to 1400?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page