Upgrade Thoughts? Onkyo STS-HK200 -> Klipsch Quintets -> ??? (New Fronts/Sub) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older speaker setup from my Onkyo S760 HTIB setup that I'm slowly replacing. I've replaced the receiver already, purely because of a deal on exactly what I wanted, and have been keeping my eyes out for speakers to enhance the system in the most important aspect. From the S760 I have the STS-HK200 set, a pretty basic 6.1 setup. Earlier today I saw, and grabbed based on the reviews I saw and limited knowledge I had at the time, a Klipsch Quintet 5.0 system for $160 - the most recent in the line I believe - on clearance.

Now, the Klipsch's are returnable so I'm trying to decide on what to do...(I still need to hook them up). From a spec perspective, the Onkyo speakers look 'better' (broader frequency range, specifically)...but I'm having trouble believing they are based on general reviews of Onkyo speakers I've read recently...(although the HTIB system did get stellar reviews when I bought it...can't see how speakers have gotten 'worse' smile.gif ).

Anyway, I'm wondering about replacing the HK200's w/the Quintets (except for my one rear channel), continuing to use the SKB-200 subwoofer, and then once I find a good deal, replace the left and right fronts w/something higher end and shift the system to a 7.1 setup w/the Quintets being used for the side and rear channels. Not sure what to do about the front yet...maybe replace that last and do dual centers or something like that (if it sounds good).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I see this as an evolving 'system' that I update over time - replacing the receiver was a bit of a 'great price' thing and getting tired of the older R510 receivers lack of inputs, limited ability to decode certain things, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 744
I would also bet that the Klipsch Quintets will be better than your Onkyo HTIB speakers, although it's only a guess. Certainly seems like you got a good price for them.

For your next upgrade, I would replace the sub. Those Klipsch depend on a good sub to provide the midbass since your crossover point will be 120hz or so.

That all being said, if you could spend just a little more, why not start with a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR and a Pioneer SP-C22 center. That would give you better full range speakers for your front sound stage right now, and use your Onkyos for the rear until you can replace them.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you consider the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system.

It should be a significant upgrade in many respects, and I have seen it for under $300 recently, which is a great price.

The main speakers in the other systems only go down to 120 Hz or so, and that is no way to run an HT system. The main drivers are just too small.

The MLT-2 system has larger front and satellite speakers, and a better sub.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your responses, I really appreciate it. While getting most other AV parts is a bit straightforward, speakers are definitely giving me stress (I'm in no way an audiophile, that being a big part of it...)

The MLT-2 (unless I'm looking at the wrong set somehow) seems to have small fronts/satellites...at least from the NewEgg and Amazon pictures. Are the drivers just bigger in the speakers themselves? Or are the pictures deceiving?

And the Pioneer's are actually on my list of speakers that I've been watching...I was about to grab them when they were on sale near Thanksgiving for 1/2 normal price, but missed it by a few hours unfortunately. One big thing I'm debating now - and what made me delay on the pioneers you mention - is floor standing front L/R vs bookshelves. My current home's basement, where my main viewing location is, is only 350-400sq ft (and its a townhouse) so the sound from smaller speakers fills it fairly well without neighbor complaints. When we move to a bigger house (date: unknown smile.gif ), bigger speakers will definitely be useful...so I'm debating just getting the bigger/better speakers now vs. the smaller Pioneers then upgrading.

All things equal - for $160 I can use the Quintets in my bedroom and I still made out on the deal IMHO, so it's not a loss...(unless they sound like complete crap, in which case I'll return them...).
post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, you could buy the Pioneer bookshelves and center now, and then later on get the towers if you think you need them and move the bookshelves to surround duty. Or just get another pair of bookshelves then.They do tend to go on sale, off and on over the year.

I'm sure the Klipsch would make very nice bedroom speakers.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hrm....bounced back and forth between the two sets (Onkyo and Klipsch) and ... this could be placebo ... but I can definitely hear more lows on the Onkyo's and much crisper, cleaner highs on the Klipsch's...to the extent that I can actually here some things on the high end I couldn't hear on the Onkyo's (background clapping during the opera/fight scene in Fifth Element when the scene moves out of the opera hall). The subwoofer is definitely doing a lot of the lows well (if I toggle it off, it's a noticeable difference) ... but it feels 'empty' at the bottom for some reason...not sure how else to describe it.

My wife noted it sounded really good...but...she also said '...and loud.' so...gotta take that with a grain of salt.

...I think I may just like a lot of bass and it's missing in this setup at this point.

I'm really interested in the Pioneer's now though...should have known this would happen. smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancyr View Post

Hrm....bounced back and forth between the two sets (Onkyo and Klipsch) and ... this could be placebo ... but I can definitely hear more lows on the Onkyo's and much crisper, cleaner highs on the Klipsch's...to the extent that I can actually here some things on the high end I couldn't hear on the Onkyo's (background clapping during the opera/fight scene in Fifth Element when the scene moves out of the opera hall). The subwoofer is definitely doing a lot of the lows well (if I toggle it off, it's a noticeable difference) ... but it feels 'empty' at the bottom for some reason...not sure how else to describe it.

My wife noted it sounded really good...but...she also said '...and loud.' so...gotta take that with a grain of salt.

...I think I may just like a lot of bass and it's missing in this setup at this point.

Not surprised by that. You need a very good sub to produce very good midbass to go with them. They probably need to be crossed over at 150hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancyr View Post

Cel - any thoughts on the 22's vs the 21's? Reading mixed things about the 22 center due to the reduced size...some think it killed the speaker, others thing the bass somehow improved despite the reduction in size.

I think the improved clarity of the midrange and treble would be the most help in dialogue, which to me is the big benefit of the center channel. Bass can be handled by the sub.

But if you are concerned, ask in the Pioneer owners thread. There are people with experience with each: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

Now that being said, as soon as they go off special at whatever place Amazon has decided to price match with (I think it might be Tiger Direct?), Amazon will raise their prices back up. Don't forget since you said you missed them being on sale before smile.gif

post #8 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize they were on sale now when I said that...I told my wife that I think I have my birthday present identified and am buying it tonight. Biggest decision point now is if the SKW-200 (sub) is worth replacing as well since the sub for this set also appears to be on sale...
(which is more of a 'is it on sale and should I get it now thing...since I have prime and ordered the damn R/L/C speakers already... smile.gif )

Biggest thing that's killing me on these is I'd LOVE to have some bigger fronts, but I just don't have room for floorstanders now...purely because of my entertainment center/ikea wall monstrosity that we regret buying. smile.gif (though it doubles as a bar nicely).

Also - thank you very much for the help Cel, I really appreciate it.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page