Speaker recommendation for rx-a3020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Denon 4300 crapped out last month so I've been reading up on newer receivers. The System hadn't gotten much use in a few years for several reasons, but mostly because it sounded like crap. I went to Best Buy just to look around and they had an open box Yamaha 3020. The salesman practically begged me to take it.

I can hear an improvement, but it's still not as good as it should/could be.

My system is in the family room, 17 x ~25 x 25. There really is no left wall. I have a 20' high entertainment center and the front 3 speakers are in the wooden entertainment center.

I have 3 matching Energy Veritas 2.2 bookshelf speakers up front and 2 of the same make surrounds in the back. Powered sub up front, also by Energy.

My biggest complaint has always been the echoey center channel. So muffled at times that speech isn't discernable. The sound stage is just ehhh. Turned up, it sounds decent, and even better now with the new receiver.

My question is, is there some set of speakers (at a reasonable price, <$2,000) that will get this setup to kick ass? should I bring in a pro to assess the situation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I would rate your receiver as a 7 or so on a scale of 1 to 10; pretty good stuff.

On the other hand, I would rate your speakers around a 2 on that scale; the receiver deserves a lot better. I would characterize them as having a brittle, harsh sound.

One review I read on them said to only use them with "warm" electronics, which pretty much says it all; they need to be toned down to sound decent; and that's not gonna happen with the receiver you have.

For a huge improvement (an 8 or so), my recommendation would be as follows:

1- A pair of PSB Image T6 speakers (around $1200) (If you don't want tower speakers, use the PSB Image B6 instead).

2 A pair of PSB Image B5 speakers (around $400)

3- A PSB Image C4 center speaker (around $300).

Those are good speakers with sonic characteristics that will match up really well with your receiver; they will make you smile.

There seem to be some people who think that using 3 identical speakers in the front is a good idea. It seldom works worth a damn, in my experience.

Speaker designers make center speakers that are configured the way they are for excellent reasons. Ignore those reasons at your peril (as you seem to be finding out).
post #3 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestion.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdar View Post

My Denon 4300 crapped out last month so I've been reading up on newer receivers. The System hadn't gotten much use in a few years for several reasons, but mostly because it sounded like crap. I went to Best Buy just to look around and they had an open box Yamaha 3020. The salesman practically begged me to take it.

I can hear an improvement, but it's still not as good as it should/could be.

My system is in the family room, 17 x ~25 x 25. There really is no left wall. I have a 20' high entertainment center and the front 3 speakers are in the wooden entertainment center.

I have 3 matching Energy Veritas 2.2 bookshelf speakers up front and 2 of the same make surrounds in the back. Powered sub up front, also by Energy.

My biggest complaint has always been the echoey center channel. So muffled at times that speech isn't discernable. The sound stage is just ehhh. Turned up, it sounds decent, and even better now with the new receiver.

My question is, is there some set of speakers (at a reasonable price, <$2,000) that will get this setup to kick ass? should I bring in a pro to assess the situation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bolded explains your problem... The speakers arent designed to be placed inside a cabinet, sorry. Pull the speakers out into the room, or get new speakers designed specifically for the kind of placement

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Pid=BT1%28BostonAcoustics%29&CatId=HomeAudio%28BostonAcoustics_US%29&SubCatId=BT%28BostonAcoustics_US%29

(the TM portion rotates for center channel use when laid on its side)
post #5 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

bolded explains your problem... The speakers arent designed to be placed inside a cabinet, sorry. Pull the speakers out into the room, or get new speakers designed specifically for the kind of placement

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Pid=BT1%28BostonAcoustics%29&CatId=HomeAudio%28BostonAcoustics_US%29&SubCatId=BT%28BostonAcoustics_US%29

(the TM portion rotates for center channel use when laid on its side)

+1

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page