Is upgrading this set up worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I have Energy speakers from 1997. 3 RVS for the front , 2 RVSS for the rear (up to 125 watts) along with 2 white "EFX" Energy speakers . I also have 2 large Energy subs. They all look great and are quite heavy. I have not used them for nearly 7 years. But did pay quite a bit for the entire set back in the day. They're all made in Canada (not China) and had great reviews back then. I paid about $300 for each RVS and even compared them side by side with $1k B&W's I remember and could not tell the difference. The depth was incredible I remember. They now sell for pennies. But anyways, I'm wanting to set up a small home theater now. The only issue I remember was that the dialogue in movies was too quiet and effects blasting my ear drums. I always wondered if I bought a different center speaker, if it would make a difference. I was just under the assumption this is how the sound was engineered for certain movies. I also have an older Denon 3802 all in one receiver.

For this dialogue issue I have, should I maybe upgrade only the center channel? And would it really make a world of a difference upgrading all my speakers since they are from 1997?

Thanks in advance!

Rear white surrounds....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
The only issue I remember was that the dialogue in movies was too quiet and effects blasting my ear drums. I always wondered if I bought a different center speaker, if it would make a difference. I was just under the assumption this is how the sound was engineered for certain movies. I also have an older Denon 3802 all in one receiver.

The problem is your receiver, not the speakers. The Denon 3802 doesn't have Audyssey MultEQ, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume like the newer Denon receivers. Replace the receiver and you'll be fine.

the speakers don't have anything to do with being soft on dialog and loud on explosions, its the receiver plus the way the soundtrack was engineered.

I have a couple of RVSS surrounds in my office, they're fine surround speakers.

Afro GT
post #3 of 14 Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The problem is your receiver, not the speakers. The Denon 3802 doesn't have Audyssey MultEQ, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume like the newer Denon receivers. Replace the receiver and you'll be fine.

the speakers don't have anything to do with being soft on dialog and loud on explosions, its the receiver plus the way the soundtrack was engineered.

I have a couple of RVSS surrounds in my office, they're fine surround speakers.
afrogt.... is quite right..those speakers..doh the have some age..are great speakers..very good..get a modern.. avr..and start enjoying your speakers again....

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #4 of 14 Old 01-27-2013, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Which receiver would you recommend?
post #5 of 14 Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by babka View Post

Which receiver would you recommend?

What is your budget?

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #6 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

I would like best bang for the buck. But to include these features mentioned above.smile.gif I don't know the exact wattage capability of the RVS speakers and could not find any info on google. But I'm assuming a max of 125 watts similar to the RVSS surrounds.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like best bang for the buck. But to include these features mentioned above.smile.gif

Take a look at the onkyo 818 or the older 809. Fantastic bang for the buck avr's with a butt-ton of features. (the 818 does have a video processing bug that onkyo is in the beta firmware stage of correcting)

There are also some fantastic denon avr's. I would look at the 33xx series or higher.

LOL!
post #8 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Take a look at the onkyo 818 or the older 809. Fantastic bang for the buck avr's with a butt-ton of features. (the 818 does have a video processing bug that onkyo is in the beta firmware stage of correcting)

There are also some fantastic denon avr's. I would look at the 33xx series or higher.

Sorry for sounding like a newbie...but why worry about this bug if one simply connects an HDMI cable from the blu-ray player to the projector?
post #9 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

if that is how you set up your gear then it shouldnt affect you. Not everyone's set up is the same....i was just giving you an fyi about it in case you didnt know about it.

LOL!
post #10 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm also seeing the 818 is better than the 809 if I have 2 subwoofers. In a nutshell, may I ask why? And if I went for another Denon, I would be paying even more from what I see?
post #11 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I'm also seeing the 818 is better than the 809 if I have 2 subwoofers. In a nutshell, may I ask why? And if I went for another Denon, I would be paying even more from what I see?

The only thing that makes the 818 better for dual subs over the 809 is the inclusion of audyssey xt32 in the 818 over audyssey xt in the 809. Both versions can do wonders for a sub, but the 818 can do it just a bit better.

Denon vs onkyo...onkyo routinely packs in more features for a given price then denon does. onkyo does seem to have more failures then denon does though, however both are very good brands with a ton of options and features at varying price points/models. If i were going more entry level I would choose a denon because they come with better room correction then entry level onks. mid level is onkyo for the more feature laden units at a lower price then comparable denons. high end....is a toss up, and a "must have" feature in one over the other would be the deciding factor for me.

fwiw, I own both a denon and an onkyo.

LOL!
post #12 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jason. If I was wanting to spend roughly $1000, which would you buy?

Also, as a side note, I'm seeing all sorts of new speakers like a package with Klipsch RF-7II speakers and a Denon AVR-4311. Would upgrading my Energy speakers make a world of a difference? I'm only going to use for movie watching.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

For around $1000 to spend, I would look real hard at the 818, even with the bug (which hopefully will be fixed soon). Or I would see if I could get a nice close out price on one of the remaining older denon 4311's.

also better speakers usually results in better sound. however in your case with your current old avr lacking in modern features and room correction upgrading to a newer one should result in a noticeable positive difference.

LOL!
post #14 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice my friend! I'll try to seek the 818 or 4311. Perhaps someone here will have one for sale.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page