A new 3.1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
moonbeam13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My set right now is Panasonic GT50 55", Denon 2112CI, OPPO 103 Blu-Ray player, 2 older Polk floor speakers, older Polk center speaker, and Klispch 10" subwoofer. My room is about 12x15 and we sit about 10' from TV. With the configuration of the room the TV has to sit at an angle next to the fireplace with the 2 floor speakers on each side. I don't want a 5.1 system, but I am trying to figure what might be some options to update my 3.1 system. I am thinking of some tower speakers, but I don't want them too ultra tall. Also, is it best to also get a new subwoofer?? I don't want to go over $500 for the system. Am looking for the best quality audio at that price point. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
moonbeam13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,284
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Exactly what model speakers do you have?

For $500, you may not be able to do much of an upgrade.

Maybe the best upgrade at this point would be a Polk PSW505 sub.
commsysman is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
moonbeam13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The model of the 2 Polk speakers is S8.

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
moonbeam13 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,284
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Well, perhaps a pair of Polk R300 speakers and a Polk CS20 would be a step up; you could do that for under $400.

Polk describes the S8 as a bookshelf speaker on their website (although it is 3-way and a bit larger than most).
commsysman is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
moonbeam13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The S8's are 25" tall and 9" deep and they sit on the floor on each side of the TV. The center is a Polk C150. Are Polk the best I can go for that price range?? I could push my limit to about $700, but that would be it.

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
moonbeam13 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,725
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 536
At $700, you might go for a set of Infinity Primus, specifically the p363 towers and a c351 center. I think that would be a very tangible upgrade over your current speakers.
shadyJ is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam13 View Post

The S8's are 25" tall and 9" deep and they sit on the floor on each side of the TV. The center is a Polk C150. Are Polk the best I can go for that price range?? I could push my limit to about $700, but that would be it.
Polk or Pioneer's speakers are the best in your price range

BTW's the Polk R300 and CS20 center don't match and aren't even sonicly close so I don't know why the person above is recommending them rolleyes.gif

Here is one sugggestion from me:
-Polk Monitor 25c center, $150 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290274)
-Polk Monitor 75t towers, $220 each with discount code 'EMCXWVL65' until 2/4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290272)

Another suggestion:
-Pair of Polk RTi8's for $400, http://www.ebay.com/itm/EA-RTi8-BLACK-Floorstanding-Tower-Speaker-Polk-Audio-/230882604738?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item35c1acf6c2
-Polk CSi5 Center for $225, http://www.ebay.com/itm/CSi5-BLACK-Center-Channel-Polk-Audio-RTi-Series-Speaker-/360504632120?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item53efc02338
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,757
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
I would recommend waiting on the sub. If you have a 10" sub like the Klipsch SUB-10, you'll probably need to spend $300 or more to get a significant upgrade over it. You'd be better to put your money towards speakers and wait and get a new sub later on.

The Infinity Primus and Polks mentioned are both good choices. Also look at these Boston Acoustics:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSA360WHA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-A360-3-Way-Dual-6.5in-Tower-Speaker-Each-White/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSA225CGBA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-A225C-2-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-Black/1.html

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
moonbeam13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Polk or Pioneer's speakers are the best in your price range

BTW's the Polk R300 and CS20 center don't match and aren't even sonicly close so I don't know why the person above is recommending them rolleyes.gif

Here is one sugggestion from me:
-Polk Monitor 25c center, $150 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290274)
-Polk Monitor 75t towers, $220 each with discount code 'EMCXWVL65' until 2/4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290272)

Another suggestion:
-Pair of Polk RTi8's for $400, http://www.ebay.com/itm/EA-RTi8-BLACK-Floorstanding-Tower-Speaker-Polk-Audio-/230882604738?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item35c1acf6c2
-Polk CSi5 Center for $225, http://www.ebay.com/itm/CSi5-BLACK-Center-Channel-Polk-Audio-RTi-Series-Speaker-/360504632120?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item53efc02338

Thanks for the suggestions.......would I also need to replace the Klipsch subwoofer?? I bought the Klipsch only 2 years ago and it seems to fit in well with my current setup.

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
moonbeam13 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam13 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions.......would I also need to replace the Klipsch subwoofer?? I bought the Klipsch only 2 years ago and it seems to fit in well with my current setup.
With your budget I wouldn't.

You need at least $300 on a subwoofer for any improvement but once you get to $500 you'll be able to make a huge step up. If the Klipsch 10" is meeting your needs I would keep it
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,757
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

With your budget I wouldn't.

You need at least $300 on a subwoofer for any improvement but once you get to $500 you'll be able to make a huge step up. If the Klipsch 10" is meeting your needs I would keep it

+1

For $300, you could catch the Klipsch RW-12d on sale at Newegg if you watch for it. If you have the Klipsch SUB-10 I previously mentioned or the RW-10d, the 12" would give you more output for HT usage and a little bit deeper bass, but the more significant upgrades come from spending $500 or more where you get better SQ as well.

However, there is one option. If you can find the exact same Klipsch sub model, dual subs would smooth the bass frequency response in your room. Does sound better. But generally, it's best not to mismatch subs in a dual sub setup.

Which Klipsch do you have? Newegg has the SUB-10 on special for $169 through tomorrow (promo code EMCXWVS95). That would be a wortwhile upgrade for that amount. But otherwise, wait until you can spend more.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off