Dialing in my new Paradigm speakers (Do I have enough power?, any tips or suggestions?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

So I'm new to this site and spent some time checking out the forums and I'm looking for a little help on dialing in my recent Paradigm speaker purchase.

I recently got a great deal on some slightly used Paradigm Studio speakers from a local A/V dealer. The previous owner bought them from the dealer, but shortly after decided on a different set. Here's what I got:

Fronts: Paradigm Studio 60 v5
Center: Paradigm Studio CC-490 v5
Rears: Paradigm Studio ADP 390
Sub: Paradigm DSP-3200

Current A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-1912.

I just finished setting up my system and when I hooked up the front speakers, I decided to Bi-Amp them using the surround back/amp assign on my receiver (and setting it to Bi-amp during Audyssey setup). According to Denon specs, each channel (7 total) features equal 90w power amps, with all channels rated at .08% THD. what are your opinions on this? I figured that it couldn't hurt and might get a slightly better sound quality.

According to the Paradigm reps, they say you should ideally have 200 Watts per channel to get optimum results however, my dad currently owns Paradigm signature S6 v2 speakers and he's powering them with a Denon 3808CI which has 130 W per channel (7 channels at .05% THD and they sound amazing! The difference between power of his receiver and mine is only 40W, would this make a huge difference? Am I under powering my speakers?

Next question: I used Audyssey setup and per their recommendations, I set my fronts to small but I'm wondering if I should modify the crossover settings that the system measured my speakers at: Front: 40HZ, Center: 40HZ, Rears: 90HZ. i guess people recommend setting crossovers for the speakers at 80HZ but what would the point be of using a program to help setup and adjust my speakers if I'm then told to go in and change the crossovers to 80 HZ? Any suggestions?

2 ch/direct setup: In Audyssey I can also manage settings for 2 ch/direct audio. Does anyone have recommendations to what I should use? In this case, would I want to set my speakers to large and select the subwoofer to yes (maybe even use LFE + Main). I'd like to get as much out of these speakers since they seem like they are pretty capable. Kinda seems like a shame to only use them for mid & high freq and have my sub handle the rest. I'd be paying for speakers that I'm only using 50% of. Any suggestion on crossover settings for 2CH as well?

I'd like to finish up by saying that my current setup kicked ass during movies but for music they seemed a bit more bright than they did in the store. In the store they used a 2ch setup without a sub and powered them by Marantz with I think 80/85 watts.

Just looking for input smile.gif I apologize that this was a long post. Just looking for advice from more experienced people.

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You will get a lot of different opinions on using amps. In my opinion, it depends on many factors. How loud do you listen to your music/movies? How big is the room you are trying to fill? What is your crossover set at (below 80hz the receiver needs more juice to power the speaker's bass output verses your sub doing the work it was designed to do.)? That being said, I read a lot of people say getting amps improve the sound by making it sound fuller with more head room, even at lower levels. I will be getting a 3 channel amp at some point for the front 3 and have the receiver run the remaining 6.

I set my speakers at 60 Hz for the Studio 100s (L&R) and 690 (center). The Studio 20 wides and side rear and Mirage OMD-5 side back I set to 80 Hz. For movies, there is no reason to have the mains do the work that the sub was designed to do and do it better. Now for music, it depends on how you listen to your music, but normally people will listen to floorstanders without subs.

As far as bright, it is the room that can make great speakers sound like crap. They sounded different at the store, probably because the room is designed with sound control.They say the sound of your system is 50% the equipment and 50% the room. I know the studios like to not be up against a wall so make sure you have some space between. Also, your room acoustically maybe the problem.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
I recently got a great deal on some slightly used Paradigm Studio speakers from a local A/V dealer.
Congrats on the new gear! smile.gif One small point: The ADP-390s are from the Monitor series - the ADP-590s are the Studio equivalents.
Quote:
... I decided to Bi-Amp them using the surround back/amp assign on my receiver ... I figured that it couldn't hurt and might get a slightly better sound quality.
You're right, it can't hurt, and it can be un-done if desired. But if you like how it sounds, enjoy. smile.gif
Quote:
According to the Paradigm reps, they say you should ideally have 200 Watts per channel to get optimum results ... Am I under powering my speakers?
IMO, no, and you probably wouldn't notice a difference in performance vs. having a separate power amp unless you were driving the speakers to very loud levels.
Quote:
Next question: I used Audyssey setup and per their recommendations, I set my fronts to small but I'm wondering if I should modify the crossover settings that the system measured my speakers at: Front: 40HZ, Center: 40HZ, Rears: 90HZ. ... Any suggestions?
Set the front three to 80Hz. The ADPs are rated to ~80Hz @ -2dB (PDF), so a 90Hz crossover makes sense.
Quote:
2 ch/direct setup: In Audyssey I can also manage settings for 2 ch/direct audio. Does anyone have recommendations to what I should use? In this case, would I want to set my speakers to large and select the subwoofer to yes (maybe even use LFE + Main). I'd like to get as much out of these speakers since they seem like they are pretty capable. Kinda seems like a shame to only use them for mid & high freq and have my sub handle the rest. I'd be paying for speakers that I'm only using 50% of. Any suggestion on crossover settings for 2CH as well?
Try out the various options and go with the one that sounds best to you. smile.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have 100s and 690 up front. I did my share of messing around. I did notice a difference between using a yammie rx-a800 and 3000. I think you may benefit from a little more real power. See if you can demo something and judge for yourself. Enjoy the 'digms.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the insight everyone!

eljaycanuck, your right, the ADP-390's are from the monitor line. I forgot about that. As far as volume, from what I can remember I'm at about -35/-30 db when watching movies and around -25db for cable (with dynamic volume set to Evening). Music tends to be around the -19 to -15 db (before the gf starts secretly turning down the knob wink.gif. Nothing sounds distorted but I'm cautious to push it because I don't want to damage my speakers. All this reading on the internet about not having enough 'clean' power for the speakers at high levels and sound clipping has me worried about turning it up too much. Although I would say that 90W seems like enough power to me esp since I'm not currently hearing anything odd coming from the speakers.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to de-brighten my front speakers? Acoustically, I'm sure my room isn't ideal but you gotta play the hand you're dealt with. I have a cathedral/ sloped ceiling and wood floors. I attached a diagram of my room & speaker layout. The front speakers are toed in a bit so that when I used a laser beam, the intersection point would be about 2 ft behind the listening area (which technically would be outside of the window). LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

The sound is very clear but I think it would be better if it was a bit deeper if you know what i mean.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page