Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi All,

My first post on AVS Forum!

To set the context: I am looking for small speakers for my secondary viewing area, downstairs family room. I have just replaced the receiver with a new Denon AVR-1613. Now looking to replace the 5.1 speakers hanging from the ceiling (Bose AM3 + AM5 from eons ago). I need small speakers, and based on all my reading, Energy Take Classic 5-pack with a 10-12" sub seems to be what I am narrowing down to. I do understand that the sound is going to be better than what I have, though won't be close to my Klipsch Reference matched system I have upstairs (waiting for a good sale to replace my Yamaha RX-V800 with a Denon AVR-2113).

The question is this. The price on the Energy Take isn't high, so it wouldn't quite kill me to replace them. But, still, I'd hate to waste hard earned money. I see that Energy Takes are listed as Discontinued at NewEgg (not just Out of Stock), though Amazon has them in stock. Is a new ET version on the immediate horizon, that anybody knows of, that I'd kick myself for not waiting for?

Thanks,
Shash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM

Liked: 15
I would say that it is doubtful that a new system is coming. The Energy brand seems to be on the way out. They have discontinued the majority of their other speakers as well, especially since Audiovox purchased Klipsch, which owned Energy. The only new things they seem to be producing are sound bars.

Energy RC-70s (2) | Energy RC-LCR | Energy CB-5s (4) | SVS PB-2000 | Pioneer VSX-1020K | Samsung UN65F8000 | PS3 | PS4 | Apple TV (2nd gen) | DirecTV HR34 HMC | Harmony Ultimate
post #3 of 37 Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Sounds bars and low quality subwoofers that only reach down to 40hz and weigh 15lbs.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/subwoofers/?sku=POWER-SUB-10

Afro GT
post #4 of 37 Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and ordered from Amazon, at least these have enough history and good reviews to bank on.

On the sub, I went with the Klipsch RW-12D. On the Energy sub, I wonder if they are referring to the crossover control range? Even on the 12D, though the frequency response is rated 24-120Hz, the crossover control is from 40-120Hz.
post #5 of 37 Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
On the sub, I went with the Klipsch RW-12D. On the Energy sub, I wonder if they are referring to the crossover control range? Even on the 12D, though the frequency response is rated 24-120Hz, the crossover control is from 40-120Hz.

Nope, the Energy Power 10 has a 50 watt amp, weighs 15lbs and has a frequency response of 40hz to 150hz. The variable crossover is from 50hz to 150hz.

Not a good sub.

Afro GT
post #6 of 37 Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashchatter View Post

I went ahead and ordered from Amazon, at least these have enough history and good reviews to bank on.

Can you post your thoughts after you get them hooked up? I am thinking of using the Takes as my 4 rear/surrounds and would appreciate your thoughts.

Energy RC-70s (2) | Energy RC-LCR | Energy CB-5s (4) | SVS PB-2000 | Pioneer VSX-1020K | Samsung UN65F8000 | PS3 | PS4 | Apple TV (2nd gen) | DirecTV HR34 HMC | Harmony Ultimate
post #7 of 37 Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Hi All,

To set the context: I am looking for small speakers for my secondary viewing area, downstairs family room. I have just replaced the receiver with a new Denon AVR-1613. Now looking to replace the 5.1 speakers hanging from the ceiling (Bose AM3 + AM5 from eons ago). I need small speakers, and based on all my reading, Energy Take Classic 5-pack with a 10-12" sub seems to be what I am narrowing down to. I do understand that the sound is going to be better than what I have, though won't be close to my Klipsch Reference matched system I have upstairs (waiting for a good sale to replace my Yamaha RX-V800 with a Denon AVR-2113).

The question is this. The price on the Energy Take isn't high, so it wouldn't quite kill me to replace them. But, still, I'd hate to waste hard earned money. I see that Energy Takes are listed as Discontinued at NewEgg (not just Out of Stock), though Amazon has them in stock. Is a new ET version on the immediate horizon, that anybody knows of, that I'd kick myself for not waiting for?

Thanks,
Shash

I'm not sure how you feel about refurbished units, but I just got a 2113 for $420 here:
Accessories4less
post #8 of 37 Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

Can you post your thoughts after you get them hooked up? I am thinking of using the Takes as my 4 rear/surrounds and would appreciate your thoughts.

Hi Dustin,

Most certainly. I expect the speakers, plugs, SW will trickle in over the week, most likely I will install them next weekend. Will post on this thread after that.

Shash
post #9 of 37 Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

I'm not sure how you feel about refurbished units, but I just got a 2113 for $420 here:
Accessories4less

Thanks for the pointer. I have considered that, particularly since I am having a hard time forcing myself to wait :-), and succumbed to ordering the Takes and SW without waiting for a sale on either. Here's why I am still holding back. A few weeks back, Frys had in-store price of $399 on a NIB 2113, but I missed that. A couple weeks back, I was in the Frys store and almost pulled the trigger on a NIB 1913 for $299, but decided to hold out for 2113 or 2313. Basically, I think it is possible to get a NIB unit for less than a refurb. If not, the Accessories4Less route is always there.
post #10 of 37 Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Liked: 13
I use 4 Energy Takes as my surrounds and rears with full range matched fronts and center and the Klipsch Reference w12D sub and I am very happy. I also have the same full range speakers in a 2.1 system and tried them out as surrounds in my theater - the takes are fine after Audessey equalized them and matched the output there wasn't enough difference for me to go to the pain of fitting the full size speakers into my viewing area permanently. So I am a fan that actually tried them and compared to much higher end speakers in sides and rear and feel good about the Take Classics in surround and rear positions in my room.

post #11 of 37 Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc View Post

I use 4 Energy Takes as my surrounds and rears with full range matched fronts and center and the Klipsch Reference w12D sub and I am very happy. I also have the same full range speakers in a 2.1 system and tried them out as surrounds in my theater - the takes are fine after Audessey equalized them and matched the output there wasn't enough difference for me to go to the pain of fitting the full size speakers into my viewing area permanently. So I am a fan that actually tried them and compared to much higher end speakers in sides and rear and feel good about the Take Classics in surround and rear positions in my room.

Thanks! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I am going to use Energy CF-70s and a CC-10 up front. I was also thinking about the RW12D as a sub (are you pleased with that btw?). I was originally going to do the CB-5s as my 4 rear, but they are too large to hang from the ceiling. Then I was going to do V-Minis, but they don't have threaded inserts for ceiling mounts. So I am back to the Takes now. Just scared to pull the trigger because they only go down to 120 Hz and everyone says you need to go to 80...

post #12 of 37 Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM

I thought the Take 5.1 satellites went to 110hz? Could be wrong audessey for some reason tries to set cross over around 80 on them I always bump it back to 110? I'll have to check that out could be remembering wrong. As far as the Klipsch RW12D sub there has been hundreds of posts on here about that. My opinion after hearing a couple really high end subs (in different rooms) The RW12D is probably the best sub you can get for $400, holds its own up to 6-700 but only average at that level. If you want or can spend $700+ get something else. At the commonly found price of 299 you absolutely are getting the most bang for you buck it will rock you. I really like it but I was not about to spend 700+ either.
Oh yea and it is spec'ed to about 24hz I think. In my room I can hear/ feel 20 hz test tone sweeps very well I have not measured the +/- db but it really is there so I don't feel I am missing very much at all.

post #13 of 37 Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc View Post

I thought the Take 5.1 satellites went to 110hz? Could be wrong audessey for some reason tries to set cross over around 80 on them I always bump it back to 110? I'll have to check that out could be remembering wrong. As far as the Klipsch RW12D sub there has been hundreds of posts on here about that. My opinion after hearing a couple really high end subs (in different rooms) The RW12D is probably the best sub you can get for $400, holds its own up to 6-700 but only average at that level. If you want or can spend $700+ get something else. At the commonly found price of 299 you absolutely are getting the most bang for you buck it will rock you. I really like it but I was not about to spend 700+ either.
Oh yea and it is spec'ed to about 24hz I think. In my room I can hear/ feel 20 hz test tone sweeps very well I have not measured the +/- db but it really is there so I don't feel I am missing very much at all.

According to this we were both wrong - 115Hz. I wasn't sure how much rear and side sound went down to 80Hz or less and if it would be noticeable with the Takes. Thanks for the feedback about the sub. My room is 21 x 15 x 8, so about 2,520 cubic feet. Batpig on here suggested I go with 2 of them for that much space. Thoughts?

post #14 of 37 Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:

According to this we were both wrong - 115Hz. I wasn't sure how much rear and side sound went down to 80Hz or less and if it would be noticeable with the Takes. Thanks for the feedback about the sub. My room is 21 x 15 x 8, so about 2,520 cubic feet. Batpig on here suggested I go with 2 of them for that much space. Thoughts?

Ha at least the 110hz was in the center which I no longer use. I have never gotten to hear dual subs, the arguments for that make allot of sense if you have room for them. As far as two RW12D's for $600 I would think would be awesome, two for $800 I would be researching and scratching my head on that one what one better sub for $800 would do and on and on and on... have fun

post #15 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Dustin,

I have 5.1 in this system, as I said before, so I only have 2 surrounds. So far, I have been hugely impressed with the sound, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the setup. As long as you have a good enough sub, I'd say go for it. Audyssey calibrated the crossover to 80Hz for front and center, and 90Hz for surround for me, despite the satellites being rated for 115Hz and the center for 110Hz. I haven't yet set the crossover to 110/120Hz, which I will try, now that i have read the Audyssey FAQ. Overall I am very satisfied with the mid-range and highs coming from the combo, I really like clarity and crispness in both music and movies. My wife and sons all are very happy with the sound.

The only part that I don't like so far is that when watching news through my FIOS IPTV STB, say on CNN, sometimes when reporters are on location, the background wind noise etc. can come out very boomy out of the subwoofer. I decided to take the new Klipsch RW-12D upstairs, and bring the Klipsch Synergy 10 downstairs to this setup. Even with this sub, I had to cut down the gain to somewhere less than 10 o'clock position, and ended up with a -0.5dB trim after calibration. I do have Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume turned on (medium), and I haven't had too much time to experiment with the various DSP sound modes, I am sure I'll eventually figure this out.

My listening area here is far from ideal. Large open area (sealed room, hah!!! :-)), wood floors (no reflections, baffles, hah!!! :-)), ceiling mounted speakers, you name it I have it. Even then, with calibration, this very modest Denon AVR 1613, Energy Take Classic 5 and Klipsch Synergy 10 sounds very, very nice to my ears.

Now the wait is painful for the 2113 to go on sale, so I can get a calibrated setup for my setup upstairs!

Shash
post #16 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi All,

Thanks,
Shash

Cancel your order and get these. They have been proven to be the exact same speakers for $200 less..
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=9774&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Then use promo code "INCENTIVE" for 20% off.
post #17 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunotheboxer View Post

Cancel your order and get these. They have been proven to be the exact same speakers for $200 less..
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=9774&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I did see those before I ordered. And, I had read posts on it at various sites, including one where I read that the included manual mentioned "Energy". However, I didn't want that sub. Minus the sub, the Take classic 5 pack was priced decently at Amazon. But I agree, Monoprice has a great price!
post #18 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 40
i got denon 1612,and takes 5 classic, after running the audyssey it says that front 90hz center 90hz and surround 110hz. should i adjust all of them to 80hz?

(2) Energy RC 70 towers(1) Energy Veritas 2.0C center(2) Energy Veritas 2.0R surrounds(2) Energy RC LCR back surrounds(1) Rythmik LV12R sub(1) Mirage Omni 12 sub(1) Denon 2112CI avr(1) LG 55" LM7600 tv
post #19 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

i got denon 1612,and takes 5 classic, after running the audyssey it says that front 90hz center 90hz and surround 110hz. should i adjust all of them to 80hz?
I have the take classic and Denon 1713.I set x-over to 120hz for all 5 despite the Audyssey room reinforced 80/90/80Hz calculation. The 3"drivers just don't handle anything below 120Hz well imo and in my room. Try 120Hz all around and see how it sounds to you
post #20 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post

I have the take classic and Denon 1713.I set x-over to 120hz for all 5 despite the Audyssey room reinforced 80/90/80Hz calculation. The 3"drivers just don't handle anything below 120Hz well imo and in my room. Try 120Hz all around and see how it sounds to you
should i adjust it manually? because i thought corssover needs to be 80hz? if you adjust all youre speakers to 120hz do you noticed any difference compra ro 80/90/80hz?

(2) Energy RC 70 towers(1) Energy Veritas 2.0C center(2) Energy Veritas 2.0R surrounds(2) Energy RC LCR back surrounds(1) Rythmik LV12R sub(1) Mirage Omni 12 sub(1) Denon 2112CI avr(1) LG 55" LM7600 tv
post #21 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

should i adjust it manually? because i thought corssover needs to be 80hz? if you adjust all youre speakers to 120hz do you noticed any difference compra ro 80/90/80hz?

First off, please read the Audyssey FAQ, you should never lower the frequency from what the calibration set at. It is OK to go higher, and 120Hz would be better since it is just above the 110-115Hz min of these speakers. 80Hz is a general guideline for larger speakers than the Takes that can typically handle lower frequencies on their own.
post #22 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

You should adjust your Takes up to 120hz. accross the board.... You could try 100hz but NO LOWER

Given that you have small speakers they don't have the ability to produce true audible sound at 80hz. That is why Energy recommends users use a 120hz crossover for the Take Classic
post #23 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks guys. i will adjust everything to 120hz. thumbs up.

post #24 of 37 Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I did see those before I ordered. And, I had read posts on it at various sites, including one where I read that the included manual mentioned "Energy". However, I didn't want that sub. Minus the sub, the Take classic 5 pack was priced decently at Amazon. But I agree, Monoprice has a great price!
You could sell the sub.
post #25 of 37 Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Dustin,

I have 5.1 in this system, as I said before, so I only have 2 surrounds. So far, I have been hugely impressed with the sound, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the setup. As long as you have a good enough sub, I'd say go for it. Audyssey calibrated the crossover to 80Hz for front and center, and 90Hz for surround for me, despite the satellites being rated for 115Hz and the center for 110Hz. I haven't yet set the crossover to 110/120Hz, which I will try, now that i have read the Audyssey FAQ. Overall I am very satisfied with the mid-range and highs coming from the combo, I really like clarity and crispness in both music and movies. My wife and sons all are very happy with the sound.

The only part that I don't like so far is that when watching news through my FIOS IPTV STB, say on CNN, sometimes when reporters are on location, the background wind noise etc. can come out very boomy out of the subwoofer. I decided to take the new Klipsch RW-12D upstairs, and bring the Klipsch Synergy 10 downstairs to this setup. Even with this sub, I had to cut down the gain to somewhere less than 10 o'clock position, and ended up with a -0.5dB trim after calibration. I do have Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume turned on (medium), and I haven't had too much time to experiment with the various DSP sound modes, I am sure I'll eventually figure this out.

My listening area here is far from ideal. Large open area (sealed room, hah!!! :-)), wood floors (no reflections, baffles, hah!!! :-)), ceiling mounted speakers, you name it I have it. Even then, with calibration, this very modest Denon AVR 1613, Energy Take Classic 5 and Klipsch Synergy 10 sounds very, very nice to my ears.

Now the wait is painful for the 2113 to go on sale, so I can get a calibrated setup for my setup upstairs!

Shash

Thanks for the review. Somehow I missed this until today. So you feel there is enough lower end from the surrounds when you hear them?

post #26 of 37 Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So you feel there is enough lower end from the surrounds when you hear them?

Short answer, no. I have set the speakers to small, crossovers at 120Hz. I turned the subwoofer off, and as expected, the satellites sounded puny, as would be expected of 3" "woofers" :-). But, turn the subwoofer on, and it "seems" like the bass comes from the Takes. Together, with AVR doing the bass management, Audyssey doing the EQ, as a package the sub/satellites sound great.
post #27 of 37 Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Short answer, no. I have set the speakers to small, crossovers at 120Hz. I turned the subwoofer off, and as expected, the satellites sounded puny, as would be expected of 3" "woofers" :-). But, turn the subwoofer on, and it "seems" like the bass comes from the Takes. Together, with AVR doing the bass management, Audyssey doing the EQ, as a package the sub/satellites sound great.

Thanks!

post #28 of 37 Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunotheboxer View Post

Since the monoprice are no longer an option, are these good prices for the Energy?

$200 for the 5.0 at Crutchfield

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vI9jU9R8MCd/p_732TAKE50/Energy-Take-Classic-5-0.html

$300 for the 5.1 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=8HRu1MFcEeK2n7Z5T1_aaglk82_axCZ3_yIN_0_0
post #29 of 37 Old 05-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Yes, those prices are about the lowest average price for both models. The $300 on Amazon is the lowest price for that set for the past several months. I get the feeling that these are being discontinued as well, since both have become harder to find lately. If you are leaning toward the purchase I would jump on it now before they are gone, IMHO.

post #30 of 37 Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Yes, those prices are about the lowest average price for both models. The $300 on Amazon is the lowest price for that set for the past several months. I get the feeling that these are being discontinued as well, since both have become harder to find lately. If you are leaning toward the purchase I would jump on it now before they are gone, IMHO.

I just don't know if I should buy the 5.1 version and just be happy with it and stop looking around, or if I should go with the 5.0 version, find another subwoofer to play with it, and then get an itch to upgrade individual speakers again...... yikes.....

I currently have a HTIB from Yamaha from 10 years ago. It works fine, but I definitely wanted something more.....
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page