toslink-tv to powered speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I connect my tv to a pair of powered speakers via optical cable can I control the volume with the tv volume? If the speakers have a volume knob then that would that serve as a "gain" control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongr View Post

If I connect my tv to a pair of powered speakers via optical cable can I control the volume with the tv volume? If the speakers have a volume knob then that would that serve as a "gain" control?

Most TV's made in the last 10 years have the option of having static or variable volume control on the audio outputs. It is going to be an audio option in the TV's settings. You would turn any volume control on the speakers all the way up and set the TV to output variable volume.

I don't know of too many powered speakers that have an optical input unless they are part of a HTiB. Those that do will have a built-in DAC, which you would need if you have speakers without digital inputs but want to use S/PDIF or TosLink. Cheap portable DACs usually run $40 to $60 with better ones with headphone output and higher resolution running $150 and up.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 4 Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you found speakers that connect by toslink cable? I have a bedroom TV and that's its only audio output. No room in the bedroom for an A/V receiver. All the soundbars and small speakers I've found require a headset jack, or RCA audio.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 765
You can always get an inexpensive DAC, such as the FiiO D3. It's tiny, and could be hidden away. Then you can plug whatever powered speakers you want into it.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page