2.1 stereo bi wiring cutting out frequencies? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this USB dragonfly from audio quest. It was expensive but it was just an audition. There was some improvement but not a lot, one more test is lossless over ps3, if still not good, in going to ship speakers back,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I think first I will head to frys and grab their Harmon kardon 3390 receiver that has higher wattage and compare that to my current receiver. Harder to ship back speakers than receivers lol
post #33 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I think first I will head to frys and grab their Harmon kardon 3390 receiver that has higher wattage and compare that to my current receiver. Harder to ship back speakers than receivers lol
post #34 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageman View Post

Alice in chains unplugged. Sounds amazing but it seems to cut out some of the back ground guitar solos... The ones that sound as if they are on a nylon string.
Certain frequencies are actually absent? I'm not sure how that's possible while simultaneously "sounding amazing".

Are all 4 drivers making noise? If you've got a non-existent connection on a bi-wire, or a driver is non-functional; that would do it.
Is your receiver in some mode other than "stereo"? It might be trying to pipe to non-existent speakers.

plug headphones into your source see if it sounds right. If it does, plug them into our AVR and see if it sounds right.

Where did you hear it not sound this way before? What equipment is the same from then and what has changed?
post #35 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Not absent, just sound like they are mixed down. On my headphones the end solo on nutshell has a clear guitar solo. On my stereo that guitar is far less prominent but the acoustic bass in the song is more prevalent. It's hard to explain. I just now it's not as loud and as prominent as it should be. Almost as if being drowned out by the bass tones (even when sub disconnected). Even when lowering bass knob. Some of you guys on here arre quite snobbish in your tone lol. Funny going into my local home stereo shop they had a similar "attitude". I'm here to discuss these issues and find a solution not deal with Internet egos.
post #36 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
If that Dragonfly didn't do it--which is a really good DAC--it's most likely the difference between the frequency response in your headphones and the speakers/how they are interacting with the room.

What headphones do you have? My Grado SR225i phones emphasize instrumentation quite differently from my Ultrasone HFI-780, and both are different my home audio speakers. Then my Energy RC-10 speakers on the same amp/source setup tend to emphasize the growl of a guitar a bit more than my Energy V5.1s, even though overall the latter are better.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #37 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some of you guys on here arre quite snobbish in your tone lol. Funny going into my local home stereo shop they had a similar "attitude".

Annoying right? Almost as annoying as when someone comes on asking for help and responds as a judgmental know-it-all to attempts at assistance.
post #38 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

And you base that opinion on what? ABX listening tests have shown that people often have a lot of trouble discerning the difference between lossless and high bit rate mp3s, if they can even tell the difference. His problem is almost definitely the motherboard audio.

I base that on having ripped my entire CD collection to FLACs which I use to listen to on my 2.1 living-room system...

...these have all been converted to MP3 to go on an iPod for my car. Most sound OK, some sound crappy in some parts. There will always be instances where compression algorithms don't work great.

And since the OP described a situation where most things sound OK but some parts of some songs don't, poor compression sounded like a good candidate.

Besides, unless you are loading an iPod or similar and need to conserve space, why wouldn't you go lossless - hard disk space is cheap.

I would have expected more widespread issues for a motherboard audio problem. Not to say that I wouldn't make sure it was digital out from the PC, going out to either a DAC/pre (like the Beresford Caiman i use in my computer setup) or to a receiver with an onboard DAC. I'd also make sure to be using an ASIO driver.

post #39 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

I base that on having ripped my entire CD collection to FLACs which I use to listen to on my 2.1 living-room system...

...these have all been converted to MP3 to go on an iPod for my car. Most sound OK, some sound crappy in some parts. There will always be instances where compression algorithms don't work great.

You sort of missed the point of what I said. Without ABX (not AB) testing, you cannot know for sure how much there is an audible difference. Too many people "think" they can easily hear one, but then have great difficulty discerning one in a proper testing situation. Most people that have done such ABX testing are not so quick to make statements such as "Garbage in - garbage out" as you did earlier.

That being said, I do like to use lossless, even for the minor difference. And I do think that a high end system would be more likely to show some difference than a lower one. So I'm not against the idea, but there is a lot of hype about the benefit of lossless over high bit rate compressed files.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #40 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Bought another 2.1 receiver. Higher wattage. If its not this then I'll get some other speakers. Any suggestions on decent towers? 1000 or under per pair.
post #41 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Bought another 2.1 receiver. Higher wattage. If its not this then I'll get some other speakers. Any suggestions on decent towers? 1000 or under per pair.

Don't go looking to receivers for power. You should look at "features" for deciding on receivers.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #42 of 48 Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

The second receiver I tried showcased the same issue. And personally, I think the Yamaha blew the Harmon away. Ahh shucks I gotta try some new speakers. Gunna try the klipsch out.
post #43 of 48 Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Holy mother of F!!! I solved by golly!

Traced it down to a crummy headphone to RCA splitter.

Now I'm really blown away this stereo sounds ****ing amazing. Boo ya!

I knew
post #44 of 48 Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's awesome, dude. It's always great when it's a very low cost solution that is the problem biggrin.gif

post #45 of 48 Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

The smallest, most least expensive component lol. Thanks everyone for the brainstorm.
post #46 of 48 Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Are all 4 drivers making noise? If you've got a non-existent connection on a bi-wire, or a driver is non-functional; that would do it.
Is your receiver in some mode other than "stereo"? It might be trying to pipe to non-existent speakers.

plug headphones into your source see if it sounds right. If it does, plug them into our AVR and see if it sounds right.

Where did you hear it not sound this way before? What equipment is the same from then and what has changed?
Quote:

Some of you guys on here arre quite snobbish in your tone lol. Funny going into my local home stereo shop they had a similar "attitude". I'm here to discuss these issues and find a solution not deal with Internet egos.
Quote:

Holy mother of F!!! I solved by golly!

Traced it down to a crummy headphone to RCA splitter.

So I was heading down the right path in starting troubleshooting of the source chain? It's nice to have a site with helpful people.
post #47 of 48 Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

You wont admit that some people in the audio realm are a bit snobbish? Especially those in the hifi stores. Even if helpful?
post #48 of 48 Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

And yea, you were close.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page