HT for Apartment - Low-Mid Volume -> MLT-2 5.1 or Energy Take Classic 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I am a total novice in this area and this is my first post in this forum. I've done good amount of reading in this forum and elsewhere too before raising this question.

I've bought a Harman/Kardon AVR 1700 receiver and am searching for a budget home theater speaker set under $400 and am considering MLT-2 5.1 or Energy Take Classic 5.1. Here are my requirements:

1. Usage : Priority is for music. Then comes movies streamed on Netflix; Occasional Blu Rays

2. Room info: I live in an apartment. My hall is around 15' X 20'

3. Music Genre : Pop music (not sure if this matters.. ) Sometimes classical too with lot of violin and piano

4. Volume: I would usually play the system in Low to Mid volume. Never in high volumes so I don't send across vibrations through the dry walls to my neighbors and downstair apartment units smile.gif

I have read a few threads comparing MLT-2 and Energy Take in this forum and elsewhere but I couldn't make a decision based on them. Any guidance would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
DLO

Liked: 12
If I were you I'd pass on the subwoofer and the surround and get a pair of really nice bookshelves. Since most Netflix movies aren't even streamed in surround, and virtually all music is recorded in stereo, your benefit from the 3 extra speakers will be minimal. The subwoofer in an apartment could also be a neighbor problem so I wouldn't even bother with it.

For $400 bucks you could get a nice pair of speakers for music that won't rattle the house. Also, if you have pre-outs on your receiver, you can get powered studio monitors instead of speakers, just for another option.

I'm actually in a similar situation to you which is why I'm replying. Only difference is I already have a 5.1 setup with decent bookshelves, and I'm thinking about downsizing to a higher-quality pair of stereo speakers and calling it a day.
Smart04 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The front speakers in the Energy Take system only go down to 120 Hz, which is totally inadequate for front speakers IMO. The main speakers are beyond small; they are TINY; ridiculously so! I would always recommend to any friend that they NOT consider that system (or any of the other systems from Polk or others that have front speakers with drivers that are SO inadequate).

Front speakers MUST go down to 80 Hz or so for minimally adequate sound IMO.

I would pay twice as much money for the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system as for the Energy Take system (but I confess that to me the Energy Take 5.1 system is so poor that I wouldn't really recommend it if it were $20...lol).

It has much more capable front and satellite speakers (with 4.5-inch drivers) and also a more capable subwoofer; larger (10-inch) and with more amplifier power. Everything about it is far superior to the Energy system IMO.

Oh; for what it's worth; I think the HK 1700 is much better than most of the similarly-priced receivers. Good choice!
Smart04 likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
DLO and commsysman,
Thank you both for your time. I actually did not realize until now that my thread has been replied to. Sorry for the delay.

Your inputs were very helpful. Right now, I am inclined to get a full 5.1 system - I plan to keep the bass low most of the time so as not to bother my neighbors :-)

I am impressed with what you have told about the MLT-5.1. I'd missed buying it on deal from newegg. I've decided to move on with something little cheaper for now.

I've bought the Onkyo AVX-290 from Best Buy for $150. It's a receiver with 5.1 speaker system. I thought it's a good deal, but it looks like the speakers may not be great.

So, now I am thinking to get the HK AVR 1700 along with the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1800BL-5-1-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B001AVRD62

Do you think this combination wouldn't make much difference when compared to AVR-290 ?
post #5 of 8 Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 765
There has been recent discussion on the Energy owners thread about the new Monoprice 5.1 HT system (conversation starts here). Best everyone can tell is that it looks exactly like a rebadged Energy Take 5.1 system but for $200 + shipping.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart04 View Post

DLO and commsysman,
Thank you both for your time. I actually did not realize until now that my thread has been replied to. Sorry for the delay.

Your inputs were very helpful. Right now, I am inclined to get a full 5.1 system - I plan to keep the bass low most of the time so as not to bother my neighbors :-)

I am impressed with what you have told about the MLT-5.1. I'd missed buying it on deal from newegg. I've decided to move on with something little cheaper for now.

I've bought the Onkyo AVX-290 from Best Buy for $150. It's a receiver with 5.1 speaker system. I thought it's a good deal, but it looks like the speakers may not be great.

So, now I am thinking to get the HK AVR 1700 along with the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1800BL-5-1-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B001AVRD62

Do you think this combination wouldn't make much difference when compared to AVR-290 ?
There is going to be no real improvement..... Smaller cheapo speaker system for another small cheapo speaker system
post #7 of 8 Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

There has been recent discussion on the Energy owners thread about the new Monoprice 5.1 HT system (conversation starts here). Best everyone can tell is that it looks exactly like a rebadged Energy Take 5.1 system but for $200 + shipping.

To follow up, someone just posted a 20% discount code ("INCENTIVE") on the Energy thread which would bring the set down to around $200 shipped. This would be my choice in your budget range.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #8 of 8 Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

To follow up, someone just posted a 20% discount code ("INCENTIVE") on the Energy thread which would bring the set down to around $200 shipped. This would be my choice in your budget range.
For Under $170 shipped you can get the Polk RM6750 5.1 set which was an amazing 5.1 speaker set I had when I was in my apartment
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page