Paradigm Speakers for HT -- SE Center and SE 3 or Studio 20v5 for LCR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All:

Going to audition these tomorrow and will report back on my impressions but I am hoping I can hear some reasoning of people who know these speakers. (Pun semi-intended)

I am building a 5.1HT and potentially a 7.1 or 7.2 system. I plan on doing 90 percent HT and 10 percent Music.

I have the ability to get a good deal locally (I think its a decent deal at least)

Paradigm SE Center - $380
Paradigm SE S3 Towers (Pair) - $980

They also have:

Paradigm Studio 10 v5 (pair) - $800
Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (pair) - $1040

In addition they have the Paradigm SE Subwoofer for $480

Going with SE Center and Towers (with Possible Sub)

Going with 3 Studio 20 v5 and using one as the "Center" (with Possible Sub)

Doing Studio 20's x 2 and getting a comparable center (not on special so would be paying more).

The sub I am currently really considering is the Rythmic FV15HP... I doubt the Paradigm SE can compare but it is 1/3 the cost too. Since I would be going all in with Paradigm ...I thought I may look at gettign the sub.

I could also do 2 Studio 20 v5 front, Buy a center, and go with Studio 10's as surrounds (the Studio 10 ro 20's as surrounds seems like overkill though?

Any help is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 475
If you can swing the money for the Studios, get the 20s for the front and the 10s for surrounds. For the center speaker, a third S20 would be perfect, but if you're going to go the dedicated-CC speaker route, strongly consider the CC-690. It's pricey and it's pretty massive, but it is an awesome CC speaker. cool.gif

As for the sub, get an ID sub (SVS, PSA, HSU, Rythmik, etc.). If the Rythmik FV15HP is too much money, the PSA XV-15 ($799, shipped) costs quite a bit less than the FV15HP and will easily outperform the SE Sub.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks! So you would support the Studio 20 center idea? Have you or anyone else heard the SE line?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The ideal front soundstage is three of the same speakers, so three S20s makes the most sense. Many (most?) people don't have space below their display for an upright bookshelf speaker or tower, so a matching CC speaker is the next-best thing.

I haven't heard the SE line, but I'm pretty sure others have. Try running a search in the Paradigm Owners Thread, or post a question in it. I'm pretty sure you'll get the info you need there. smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The idea that 3 identical speakers make a good setup for the front ignores a considerable body of information that pretty much shows that the idea is nonsense.

The function of a center speaker is different, and its design needs to be different.

I have never seen a single paper or article from a competent sound engineer recommending this idea.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The idea that 3 identical speakers make a good setup ... is nonsense.
. . .
I have never seen a single paper or article from a competent sound engineer recommending this idea.
From Dolby Laboratories:
Quote:
Speakers and amplifiers.
Three speakers are needed across the front to produce the left, center and right channels. Ideally, all three will be the same model for best acoustic matching. ...
But Dolby Labs is probably staffed with incompetent sound engineers...
post #7 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Thanks! So you would support the Studio 20 center idea? Have you or anyone else heard the SE line?

That would be a nice setup with 20's across the front. The SE line up is also very nice and the towers and matching center would also be great system. I would agree that you should look into subwoofers from SVS, Rythmik, PSA. Your setup deservers

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The idea that 3 identical speakers make a good setup for the front ignores a considerable body of information that pretty much shows that the idea is nonsense.

The function of a center speaker is different, and its design needs to be different.

Considerable body of information? Feel free to post all your educational information that shows 3 identical speakers across the front is nonsense.

The function of the center is no different than the rest of the system. Produce good quality sound, flat neutral response, good off axis, power handling, and low distortion.

I've never seen you present ANY evidence to any of your claims. If its your opinion that 3 centers hasn't worked out for you thats fine but its not nonsense, its just your only knowledgable in outdated theories from 20 yrs ago.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page