NHT Classic 3 or Absolute Tower? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

First post here, but lurking for quite some time...

Looking to turn a portion of my basement into a media room. Approximate size is 15 x 15. Will be used for 2.1 and 5.1 channel audio. Selecting the LR mains first and torn between the two choices above. I like the compactness and versatility of the 3s, but I've owned towers for the past 25 years. I'm not looking for extreme volume or foundation shaking bass, but I would like a quality setup. I can appreciate a rich, full sound spectrum. I do have a JBL sub (not sure of the model number) that I can add to the mix. I will eventually add the center and surrounds down the road (as budget permits). Like to take advantage of the NHT prices before they go up (2/6/13).

Thinking of driving this setup with the Marantz SR5007 (opinions are welcome, but that may be another topic for another thread). Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter...

ZB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
You'll find folks on both sides...

Personally, I prefer the Three. I had both in my home, though not at the same time.

Both image well and throw a big soundstage... but to me, the Three is a little more relaxed on the upper end, and a bit warmer down low. The Absolute Tower is more neutral on the low end... but to my ears, could be just a bit edgy in the highs. Others may say the AT is clearer or more detailed in the highs.

I prefer the look of the AT over the Three... but sound-wise, I like the Three a little better due to what I perceive as a smoother high end.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Well, the Classic Three is $399 each, Absolute Towers are $499. You have to factor in stands for the Classic Three so how much difference in price will it be?

The Absolute Tower frequency response is 58hz - 20khz
The Classic Three frequency response is 45hz - 20hz so even though this is a bookshelf speaker it plays deeper than the slim tower.

You should call NHT and see what they say.
800-648-9993

There is also a NHT forum on AVS where others can give you some more insight.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/575291/new-nht-classic-line-to-replace-super-audio

I've heard the Classic Three a few times and really like the sound, never heard the Absolute Tower which like was said above is a lower end product line than the Classic series.

Afro GT
post #4 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 13
http://www.nhthifi.com/

I think some other option you should consider in addition to the absolute tower are the Monitor rx6 and PSB towers.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

The focal 814 and the KEF Q series.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/SpeakersStands/Speakers-Stands/1.html
post #5 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The NHT Classic 3 is a very good speaker.

I would say that the PSB Image T5, which is the same price, is better-sounding than the Absolute Tower.

Another thing to consider is that the NHT Classic 3 is $800 per pair now, and that will buy you a pair of Gallo Classico CL-2 speakers, which are in another class altogether. They benefit from factory-direct pricing (they had originally been slated to cost $1299 from dealers).
post #6 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the input...I appreciate it. Planning to call NHT later today

Started to look into the Gallo Classico CL-2. What makes them "in another class altogether"? smile.gif Admitting my ignorance here smile.gif

SO many choices...can lead to a bit of analysis-paralysis (as I like to call it) !

ZB
post #7 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBirdMan View Post

Thanks so much for all the input...I appreciate it. Planning to call NHT later today

Started to look into the Gallo Classico CL-2. What makes them "in another class altogether"? smile.gif Admitting my ignorance here smile.gif

SO many choices...can lead to a bit of analysis-paralysis (as I like to call it) !

ZB

Might want to read the hometheater.com review on the Classico 2s first. While they are apparently a very nice sounding speaker they do have a significant "quirk" that may make them unsuitable for some.

As to the price increases. eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif Kind of out of line on some models. They're going to price themselves into bankruptcy. $800 for the 12" sub? $600 for the top of the line center? Too much of a jump.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The Absolute Sound did an excellent article on the CL-3, and the CL-2 shares the same excellent tweeter and much of the same technology in a bookshelf version. You can easily find it online and read it,

Reading that article will give you some insights, but the best way to know is to get them in your home for a FREE 60-day home trial.

They pay shipping both ways if you decide to return them, so a trial is an easy decision to make.

I doubt whether they spend much money on return shipping...lol.

Nobody gonna take my CL-3s from me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBirdMan View Post

ZB
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 AM

Liked: 24
Since reviews are being thrown about, read Robert Reina's Stereophile subjective reviews of them both where he preferred the Towers in a head to head match up with the Threes at the end of the Tower's review, and compare their apples to apples objective measurements at the end of each review.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 13
Don't forget to read about the review of the monitor RX6 as well.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-rx6-loudspeaker
post #11 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the review articles...more food for thought...and good reads!
Reply Speakers