Need advice on pre-wiring and in-ceiling speakers for WHA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a 2 story 3300SF house. My builder has a contract with a low voltage installer and would not allow me to get any other installer until closing. I am planning to eventually have a whole house audio, some basic automation (maybe control4) and a dedicated home theater in the basement. I do not want to do all this at once hence I asked for a quote for structured wiring, speaker wiring and in ceiling speaker installation for now. He has Speakercraft CRS6 ONE which are 6" speakers and 8" Speakercraft AIM8 ONE speakers. The pricing is for the latter. He would not let me buy my own speakers. Here's what he has offered me broken down by room.

Room Unit Price
Family Room
In ceiling speaker 8" x 2 1160
Volume Control x1
Cat6 for Keypad x1 120

Study
DVC in ceiling Speaker 8' x1 720
Volume Control x1

Kitchen
In ceiling speaker 8" x2 1160
Volume Control x1

Bonus Room
Volume Control x1

Master Bedroom
Volume Control x1
Cat6 for Keypad x1 120

Bathrooms x2
DVC in ceiling Speaker 8' x2 1440
Volume Control x2

Techtube Basement to Attic x1 280

Basement
Plate for ceiling speaker jacks x1 65

Wiring for Home theater
Speaker wire runs x9 1080
Subwoofer run and jack x1 155
2 port speaker jacks x5 325
4 port speaker jacks x2 130

I will appreciate any advice. My questions are following

1. Does it cover the essential things or am I missing something?
2. Is his pricing reasonable? Is pricing with builder contracted dealer negotiable and what's the room?
3. I have seen mixed reviews for speakercraft CRS8 ONE and AIM8 ONE speakers considering that they are entry level speakers in their series. Should I go for pre-wiring only and get in ceiling speakers installed later from a separate installer with me providing the speakers?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-02-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bump!!

Anyone???
post #3 of 5 Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post

I am building a 2 story 3300SF house. My builder has a contract with a low voltage installer and would not allow me to get any other installer until closing. I am planning to eventually have a whole house audio, some basic automation (maybe control4) and a dedicated home theater in the basement. I do not want to do all this at once hence I asked for a quote for structured wiring, speaker wiring and in ceiling speaker installation for now. He has Speakercraft CRS6 ONE which are 6" speakers and 8" Speakercraft AIM8 ONE speakers. The pricing is for the latter. He would not let me buy my own speakers. Here's what he has offered me broken down by room.

Room Unit Price
Family Room
In ceiling speaker 8" x 2 1160
Volume Control x1
Cat6 for Keypad x1 120

Study
DVC in ceiling Speaker 8' x1 720
Volume Control x1

Kitchen
Volume Control x1

Bonus Room
Volume Control x1

Master Bedroom
Volume Control x1
Cat6 for Keypad x1 120

Bathrooms x2
DVC in ceiling Speaker 8' x2 1440
Volume Control x2

Techtube Basement to Attic x1 280

Basement
Plate for ceiling speaker jacks x1 65

Wiring for Home theater
Speaker wire runs x9 1080
Subwoofer run and jack x1 155
2 port speaker jacks x5 325
4 port speaker jacks x2 130

I will appreciate any advice. My questions are following

1. Does it cover the essential things or am I missing something?
2. Is his pricing reasonable? Is pricing with builder contracted dealer negotiable and what's the room?
3. I have seen mixed reviews for speakercraft CRS8 ONE and AIM8 ONE speakers considering that they are entry level speakers in their series. Should I go for pre-wiring only and get in ceiling speakers installed later from a separate installer with me providing the speakers?

Thanks

Your builder has certain subcontractors set up to do work for him. Set up meaning proper license and insurances as well as a good working relationship. But as your post states " I am building", so If you haven't signed a contract yet you need to sit down with him and tell him what you want. The products need to be your choice...don't you think? If you are already under contract, then you have the right to what is called a change order addendum. This change may very well change the price, which may cause issues with the lender, if you have a lender. Of course you can pay cash for these changes. Hopefully construction hasn't started yet, or construction is not at the wiring stage yet.

Remind him that you are the customer, and that is it. Don't let the builder bully you. If there is a bank involved, you could contact them and explain the situation, asking them to get involved with any builder issues. You should have done some homework prior to getting started. Builders don't like to have to make changes after construction has started. You need to sit down with the wiring contractor and have a written plan that includes all of the details...wire type and size as well as the speakers and any components and their locations. You should sign off on a complete drawing of all of this. Without this, they can cut corners where they choose to. I am not a fan of Speakercraft...entry level quality from what I've seen. But I'm sure Speakercraft has different levels of quality that you should be able to choose from.

Espo77
post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Absolutely! Well Said Epso!! Guess what you are the Owner and The BOSS!! And believe it or not you are the CONTRACTOR!!! your Writing the Check!!! As Stated do a change order and if not needed to I would have them Pre Wire and get your own Speaks and install them your self!! If it too complicated with all the Controllers you can Hire a Low Voltage Contractor after the Fact or get the one you want NOW!!! The Aim 8 -1 is the Entry Speakercraft, you can buy those for $135-$200 Each!!!!! So be warned , do your Research and get Good Speakers .instead of Cheap Contractor grade..Contractors have there Prefernce cause they get at a certain cost,, he's Gonna make more $ off you from the Speakers than the Actual Labor!! Speakercraft makes good Speakers but they have a lot of different level Grade Speakers.. obvious you dont need hi end in the Bathroom or hallway but you also dont need Spend $1,440!! Really!!! I would really shop that around..
post #5 of 5 Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post

Should I go for pre-wiring only and get in ceiling speakers installed later from a separate installer with me providing the speakers?

Indeed this is the best way to go..many installers are out there that will do this for you or just install your self its not that Hard!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page