Help! WHA In-Ceiling Speaker help (MonoPrice Folks please enter) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

Been trolling for a while and tried to search through all the many threads that matched my criteria.. but could not find the exact answers I am looking for.

I am most likely going with the Nuvo GC unless someone can sway me for price/features to another system. I really like static KPs with the availability to have wireless control.... back on subject, this is more about speakers.

I am going to have 6 zones with 10' ceilings pretty much everywhere. I have ready hundreds and hundreds of posts about the monoprices and I really am leaning towards them. Problem is everyone seems to go with the 8" and I am really wanting to stay with a 6 1/2".

-For the bedrooms/bathrooms/kitchen going with the MP 4103s. My questions are will a pair of these per room do the job well? . Will these be crisp for music or tinny? Do these handle lows/ bass at all? I dont plan to crank these to max, but I would like some lows to be heard.

-Obviously I love the price of the 4103s, but I would not have problem going to 60 or 70 bucks a pair for my generic listening rooms.

-Onto my family room. Due to how I built the house everything will need to be in ceiling. I was thinking of running the MP 7604s in ceiling for L/C/R. Will that work? They do not have directional tweeters so I dont know if the will work well in a in-ceiling type of set up.

-For rears I was going to go with MP 7605s. This is my main living area, since the 7605s are directional will this work with music for entertaining or cranking up the music? Should I just go with the 4103s for rears instead?

-I plan on putting in the MP 4929 10" passive sub as well.

-For the garage I was thinking of doing the 4104s, ceilings are 14'... its 800 sqft. I dont plan to really turn this up so will 2 speakers be enough for the sqftage?

Exteriors I would go with the 7496 indoor/outdoor speakers.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I know the setup is not ideal, but I still think the products listed have the potential to sound great. If anyone has recommendations on something else please let me know. I am all ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Any MP folks??
post #3 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well double post.. dangit!
post #4 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 14
I bought the following for my budget home theater...

4100 - FL and FR
4103 - RL and RR
6317 - C

I think they are great for the price point. I went with the 6.5 for FL and FR because of stud constraints, otherwise I would have went with the 8's. I also wanted to keep everything 8 ohm's. I think the 7604/7605's you're looking at are 6ohm. Not a big deal, just going to take a little more power for your receiver to power them. But as long as you have a good receiver, it should be no problem.

I would say you're not going to hear a lot of bass from the 4103. I just use them as my surrounds and all my LF's are going to my sub. So they fit the bill for me.

I would also recommend testing them before installing them. One of my 4103 had terrible crackle at higher volume. I will give props to Monoprice on the exchange process. Had a new package of 4103's (they come as a pair) before I even sent my old ones back. Anyways the new ones were great, no crackle.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Appreciate the response. Did you mount those In- Ceiling? My layout just does not allow me to do In walls. I still think the setup should sound better than HTiB.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 14
My fronts are mounted in-wall and the rears are mounted in-ceiling.

Do you have an Audyssey type program with your receiver?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went to the house today and ruled out that front ceiling speakers are not going to work out. Thinking of going with a small form satelite speaker like Def Tech Mythos Gem or something similiar. They would be mounted on the ceiling pointed down. I would like to keep it under 250 for the pair.

I would also like some input on a small center channel.. I would like shallow depth and low height. Thinking of mounting it under the mantle.

My buddy has some Proficient Audio C640s that sound great in 6 1/2".. but it did seem you have to be under them to really hear the quality. Would a 8" spread that sound out better? I am willing to go to a 8"

Any others input is appreciated.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 AM

Liked: 13
Hello Zjolsen,

Came across your post and thought it wouldn't hurt to chime in where we could offer assistance on any technical aspects of the product and giving as much as an unbiased opinion as possible. Getting started with the 4103s as you mentioned you were considering; you won’t quite get as much lows or heavy bass as you may want but the mids to highs should be clean and clear. These should be sufficient for the 3 rooms you mentioned but if you want that extra volume and bass may want to consider the 8”. With the 7604s and 7605s as “highdefav1” mentioned they are 6ohms unlike the majority that are 8, but will still work in the ideal situation if you wanted, just will need a little extra power to drive them. They can work for your front three L,C,R or if you chose to go with a traditional center you can go with the 6317. If you want to still hear some lows and the occasional bass rather it be with music or movies you may want to stick with the double woofer 7605s for the rear. It doesn’t hurt mixing in a few 4929s as well for a 7.1 or if you just wanted additional lows, but nothing like a good powered sub-woofer I imagine you already have in place.

With the garage being a relatively small area and with you not really planning on driving the speakers in this arena very loudly, I see no reason the 4104s wouldn’t get the job done. As for the exterior speakers 7496 I’m afraid isn’t outdoor rated but have the advantage of being active. We do have some 5 ¼” indoor/outdoor speakers you may want to consider and they are also waterproof in 6971. We just thought we would share some feedback on the questions and concerns you had without any biased opinion and only giving our two cents. If you find yourself with any other queries please feel free to contact us at tech@monoprice.com or via our live chat.

Thank you,

Tjayi Malone
Monoprice Tech Support
Five28 likes this.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page