Need help regarding speaker system! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have samsung ES8000 (55 inch ) TV and bought a Blu ray player( Samsung BDP-S490)... now we are planning to buy a 5.1 speakers and I'm really confused between soundbar + AV receiver and HTIB.. Since we already have a Blu ray player, why cant we buy a soundbar alone and connect it to the bluray player or directly to TV?? Is it really necessary to buy AV Receiver?? and If im right, there is no need to buy HTIB since we already bought Bluray player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
some soundbars required an avr or amplifier to power it, some have built in amplifiers so you would not need a receiver.

a HTIB has nothing to do with a blu-ray player. a blu-ray player plays blurays to your tv, a HTIB plays sound.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

some soundbars required an avr or amplifier to power it, some have built in amplifiers so you would not need a receiver.

a HTIB has nothing to do with a blu-ray player. a blu-ray player plays blurays to your tv, a HTIB plays sound.
actually my qn is nowadays HTIB comes with a Blu ray player as a receiver but in my case i already have a bluray player so it is enough to buy sound bars for me if i m right???
also please suggest me sound bars under 400$ so that i can connect it to my bluray player and i can a buy a good AVR later after gaining enough knowledge in that field
post #4 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 262
You are going to want a receiver. It is actually simpler to do things with a receiver than without one, so don't concern yourself with that.

Trying to work around it with other solutions is awkward and gets complicated, and ends up being a major headache. It also ends up being money wasted, since that path is a dead end and leaves you with useless junk in the end.

I suggest that you get a pair of speakers and a receiver, which is easy to do for $400.

I suggest that you get the Onkyo TX-NR414 receiver from Amazon for $200. That is a very good receiver at a modest price.

You can get a pair of Polk R300 floorstanding speakers for under $200, or a pair of of Polk R150 bookshelf speakers for around $120.

That will give you MUCH better sound quality than any soundbar you can buy for the same money, and all you have to do to complete a 5.1 system is add matching speakers at a later date, which will not cost that much.

The Polk CSR center speaker is only $70.

The only soundbars that actually sound decent are quite expensive. A receiver is a much better way to go.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
actually my qn is nowadays HTIB comes with a Blu ray player as a receiver but in my case i already have a bluray player so it is enough to buy sound bars for me if i m right???
If you buy a soundbar this is self-powered - that is, it can take a signal from your TV or Blu-ray player and amplify it - you don't need an AVR (audio-video receiver).
post #6 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

If you buy a soundbar this is self-powered - that is, it can take a signal from your TV or Blu-ray player and amplify it - you don't need an AVR (audio-video receiver).

This is true, but if you have multiple audio sources (Blu ray and cable box or game system) you need to get the audio from each to the sound bar. Easier with a receiver. Other wise you need an audio out from your TV to the soundbar and have all audio go to your TV. In other words your TV is your receiver. This set up has limitations and varies by TV.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is true, but if you have multiple audio sources (Blu ray and cable box or game system) you need to get the audio from each to the sound bar. Easier with a receiver.
I agree. But the OP didn't say anything about multiple sources. He said: "Since we already have a Blu ray player, why cant we buy a soundbar alone and connect it to the bluray player or directly to TV??"

So, he wants to do one of two things:
- connect his BD player to his TV and his TV to a soundbar; or
- connect his BD player directly to a soundbar.

I just pointed out that as long as he gets a self-powered soundbar, he is correct to think that an AVR is not required to accomplish either of his hook-up scenarios.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I agree. But the OP didn't say anything about multiple sources. He said: "Since we already have a Blu ray player, why cant we buy a soundbar alone and connect it to the bluray player or directly to TV??"

So, he wants to do one of two things:
- connect his BD player to his TV and his TV to a soundbar; or
- connect his BD player directly to a soundbar.

I just pointed out that as long as he gets a self-powered soundbar, he is correct to think that an AVR is not required to accomplish either of his hook-up scenarios.

I completely agree with you. I was just trying to explain why and the impacts of going that direction. Based on the wording of the question I didn't want to assume he knew how to achieve what he's doing.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I completely agree with you.
So...we agree to agree. Cool. biggrin.gif
post #10 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I agree with commysman you should definitely get a receiver and some speakers rather than a soundbar if you have the room.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

You are going to want a receiver. It is actually simpler to do things with a receiver than without one, so don't concern yourself with that.

Trying to work around it with other solutions is awkward and gets complicated, and ends up being a major headache. It also ends up being money wasted, since that path is a dead end and leaves you with useless junk in the end.

I suggest that you get a pair of speakers and a receiver, which is easy to do for $400.

I suggest that you get the Onkyo TX-NR414 receiver from Amazon for $200. That is a very good receiver at a modest price.

You can get a pair of Polk R300 floorstanding speakers for under $200, or a pair of of Polk R150 bookshelf speakers for around $120.

That will give you MUCH better sound quality than any soundbar you can buy for the same money, and all you have to do to complete a 5.1 system is add matching speakers at a later date, which will not cost that much.

The Polk CSR center speaker is only $70.

The only soundbars that actually sound decent are quite expensive. A receiver is a much better way to go.

Now i understood soundbar vs speaker setup that soundbar are ineffective in surround sounding..Please suggest me even a bit costlier one if it is worth extending..Also availability is a big issue since i'm from Tamil Nadu, India, i can buy from ebay.in or flipkart or Reliance digital which is in chennai but have no access to amazon..the polk R300 is not available instead i saw these model: http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=polk&_sacat=0&_from=R40 but i dont ve any idea about its value. the receiver Onkyo suggested by u is available in ebay.in but cost around 400$ not 200$.. so please suggest me the place or website i can buy from and also better product by its value since i dont prefer to for mere brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

This is true, but if you have multiple audio sources (Blu ray and cable box or game system) you need to get the audio from each to the sound bar. Easier with a receiver. Other wise you need an audio out from your TV to the soundbar and have all audio go to your TV. In other words your TV is your receiver. This set up has limitations and varies by TV.
yes i understand, my sources are Bluray player, DTH box and cable box so i go for AVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

I
I completely agree with you. I was just trying to explain why and the impacts of going that direction. Based on the wording of the question I didn't want to assume he knew how to achieve what he's doing.
YES REALLY I'M A NEWBIE SO DONT TAKE MY WORDS GRANTED .IF THERE IS A BETTER SETUP AFFORDABLE FOR MY BUDGET FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page