Speaker Compatibilty Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My Setup:
Refinishing a basement. Have the frame up, no drywall yet. I'm looking to do a 5.1 system in the HT part of my basement. The theater will be 15' wide, 22' long and the ceilings will be 7'6". The room is mostly closed of, but not completely. If you are sitting looking at the screen in the front right there is a hallway up to the stairs with a door at the top. the last 8 feet on the back right is open to another room 8' x 20' orientated perpendicular to my HT.

What I need:
5.1 system that will be powered by my Denon 2113. My budget is $1,200 for the speakers and sub. Use will be 50%sports and tv, 30% movies, 20%music.

What I need from you:
Can you look at the following shortlist of setups I have come up with and comment if they are compatible with my reciever and room layout.

I have listened to some, but not all, of these systems and plan to do so before choosing. Can you comment if they are all in the same class of speakers. I am not neccessarily looking for preference of brand or dome vs ribbon vs horn, but just if they are of similar build quality and audio fidelity. I will develop my preference by listening to them.

Finally, can you just let me know if you think any of my centers are not a good match for my towers? I tried to match brands and lines, but am ignorant to timbre matching.

Short List

Refurbished Boston Acoustics.
(2) A360 towers
(1) A225 center
(2)A25 surrounds
(1) A250 powered sub
Cost:$900. Only concern is white towers and black everything else. If better than the rest I will do it. If all else is equal, might pick a matching set.

BIC Package
(2) PL67 towers
(1) PL26 center
(2) PL66 surrounds
(1) PL-200 powered sub
Cost $1175. Haven't listened to horn tweeters ever, so I would have to hear before buying.

Pioneers
(2) FS22 towers
(1) CS22 center
(2) BS22 surrounds
(1) HSU STF-1 powered sub
Cost $800. Seem like a great value. Quality on par with the others?

Polk
(2) Tsi300 towers
(1) CS10 center
(2) TSi200 surrounds
(1) HSU STF-1 powered sub
Cost $1150. Didnt like the sub that came with the package, so would have to buy piece by peice. Worth stepping up to the TSi400 and CS20 for another $150.

Thanks in advance with any advise you can lend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sounds like you have a plan... Towers with a sub are more for music than surround...

The HSU STF-1... Really is NOT a home theater sub. It does not go low enough to do you much good. I would hold off on a sub rather than get that one not ideal for HT. Not saying HSU dont make damn good products ...they do.

It is just that sub although in your budget would not add a ton to a 5.1 set up given the fact it can't go that low.

Another thing to consider is to go 3.0 today...and build slowly. That being said all the packages work IF you like them. All the packages listed have allot of give and take to get to that price point.

The very best thing to do is check out used speakers and audition, audition, audition.
jvh4 likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Sounds like you have a plan... Towers with a sub are more for music than surround...

The HSU STF-1... Really is NOT a home theater sub. It does not go low enough to do you much good. I would hold off on a sub rather than get that one not ideal for HT. Not saying HSU dont make damn good products ...they do.

It is just that sub although in your budget would not add a ton to a 5.1 set up given the fact it can't go that low.

Another thing to consider is to go 3.0 today...and build slowly. That being said all the packages work IF you like them. All the packages listed have allot of give and take to get to that price point.

The very best thing to do is check out used speakers and audition, audition, audition.

Great point on the HSU got so caught up in the reviews I didn't realize it only went down to 30 hz. The reason I was gonna add a sub was because the towers only go down to 30 hz. The PL 200 goes down to 22 hz if I remember correctly. Is there a better sub in the $300 - $350 range? I know it's entry level budget at this point.

I appreciate the suggestion of skipping the sub for now and spending the money else where and adding as funds come available. I'll think about that too.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Follow up question. If I did the towers AND a sub, I would run the sub channel just to the sub and the FR/FL to the respective tower right? When I run the Aud XT calibration, will the subs in each tower be used effectively? I assume I would end up with directional imaging for the subs in the front, which could be cool if I put the powered sub in the back of the room. Would this arrangement work?
post #5 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I've seen several people in a similar price range considering the Infinity Primus P363 and P163. Should I add them to my list to check out?
post #6 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

I went to BB last night to audition and they didn't have any of these exact speaker unfortunately. The guy said I should go Def Tech they will play nice with my receiver. I didn't see any in my price range. My question is, will that make a difference at my budget level? I could see it being noticeable at the high end, but since I'm middle of the road should I be targeting or avoiding brands because I have a Denon?
post #7 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you go with the Boston speakers; they sound very nice.

Amazon has the CS260 for $200 each and those will be a good basis for your system. You don't need the larger speakers with a subwoofer. These will actually be better IMO.

The CS225C is also $200, and the CS26 are $150 per pair. That will be a very nice matched system for $750.

For a subwoofer, I suggest either the Klipsch RW12D or the Polk PSW505. make sure you get a 12-inch sub with at least 200 watts of RMS (not peak) power, or it will not be enough for your room.

I would just go ahead and get the 5 speakers now and do a little research on subwoofers at the subwoofer forum.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you go with the Boston speakers; they sound very nice.

Amazon has the CS260 for $200 each and those will be a good basis for your system. You don't need the larger speakers with a subwoofer. These will actually be better IMO.

The CS225C is also $200, and the CS26 are $150 per pair. That will be a very nice matched system for $750.

For a subwoofer, I suggest either the Klipsch RW12D or the Polk PSW505. make sure you get a 12-inch sub with at least 200 watts of RMS (not peak) power, or it will not be enough for your room.

I would just go ahead and get the 5 speakers now and do a little research on subwoofers at the subwoofer forum.

Thanks. I think ill def take you advice on the sub. For education purposes do you mind explaining why the 260 towers will sound better than the 360 towers for my application?
post #9 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

Thanks. I think ill def take you advice on the sub. For education purposes do you mind explaining why the 260 towers will sound better than the 360 towers for my application?

I have owned both the PSW505 and the RW-12d and if your budget allows the extra cost of the Klipsch I would spring for that one. It is an excellent sub for the price.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #10 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I have owned both the PSW505 and the RW-12d and if your budget allows the extra cost of the Klipsch I would spring for that one. It is an excellent sub for the price.

Awesome. Thanks. I just read a bunch of great yhings about it in other threads and Newegg has it for 299. That seems like a great price for it, right?
post #11 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

So I found a place that will let me audition the BIC speakers tonight and Im calling around on the Boston Acoustics. Living 30 min from Boston I thought it would be easy. Hopefully they'll have the 250 and 360. Then my ears can decide

I'm still trying to figure out why the cs260s are a better match than the 360s. Spec wise the only thing I can see is that the 250s are 2 way. Is the idea that since I will be adding a sub its better to have all the power committed to the high and mid rather than split to 3 drivers? IT seems like the mid driver is the one thats missing though?
post #12 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

So they didn't have BIC after all. The Boston Acoustics were only satellites, not the towers or bookshelves. So I just listened to everything I could. My favorites by far were the MartinLogans motion 40s. But we're obviously out of my price range. I also listened to some Def Tech 8060s and 8020s towers. Their bass sounded better but didn't have the same crisp vocals (especially on the blurays)I loved out of the Logan's. also listened to some aluminum dome Energy, but didn't like them as much. Sounded ok overall but didn't do anything better than the other two I mentioned. The B&W I listened to sounded like a warmer Def Tech to me.

The nice thing is I got to listen to them through my receiver. My take away is that I should really try to listen to some BIC cause I might like the horn tweeters based on the Logan's I like.

Does that make sense? Would any of those sound similar to the Boston Acoustics?
post #13 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for you input. I'm pretty close to making a decision.

Last question.

Will a particular system work better below reference volumes? I've read a ton about speaker sensitivity and distortion at high volume, but less about the effects of operating at low volume.

If I am often listening at lower volumes, but need the dialogue to be clear, will different systems work better under those conditions?
post #14 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

Thanks everyone for you input. I'm pretty close to making a decision.

Last question.

Will a particular system work better below reference volumes? I've read a ton about speaker sensitivity and distortion at high volume, but less about the effects of operating at low volume.

If I am often listening at lower volumes, but need the dialogue to be clear, will different systems work better under those conditions?

I found a guy locally who is selling gently used BIC pl76 5.1 set up, and he's going to let me listen to it tonight. If its the right set then I will have finally made a decision.

The only hiccup is he's giving me a much better price if I buy the whole thing vs only taking the 5 speakers. He has the H100 sub.

If it becomes an issue am I better off trying to unload it and get the Klipsch rw-12d as planned or do I add another H100 or even a Pl200 for a dual sub set up?
post #15 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

You are all a bunch of no-good, dirty, rotten scoundrels!! I bite my thumb at you all!!!!!

Haha. Who am I kidding. I love you guys. But I did notice that the guy who yells at posters for having the audacity to recommend white speakers, the guy who wins things on eBay then refuses to buy them (coincidentally he's the only guy who still calls people jerk-offs), and the flocks of people asking the same vague questions without giving any specifics to their environment or searching the forum for the answer 1st, all got more responses than me.

So, I thought I'd put down the honey and pick up the vinegar. Y'all [radio edit] best watch out!

Respect.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page