Failed Tweeters, Replacement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some WHARFEDALE Diamond speakers here but all of their tweeters are dead, I am thinking if I could replace the tweeters? or maybe switch them with any smaller speakers? I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Birdman74 View Post

I have some WHARFEDALE WH1.1 8ohm speakers here but all of their tweeters are dead, I am thinking if I could replace the tweeters? or maybe switch them with any smaller speakers? I have some Cambridge Computer speakers given to me by a friend and they have small speakers in them? they are 4ohm and 10w, but can they be used as tweeter replacements? otherwise anywhere I could get proper replacements for my speakers? cant spend alot fixing them but is anybody here have any spare tweeters that may work and I could have then let me know. I will be more then happy to pay as well. But need about 3 working tweeters.

Here are some web sites that sell lots of different kinds of tweeters:

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-components/4

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/tweeters/

http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SC&Category_Code=D

Often manufacturers are very happy to sell you exact replacements for reasonble prices. Contact Wharfdale first!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Arny, I contacted Wharfdale, maybe they will respond after the weekend.
Anyway I see these tweeters can get quite expensive. Maybe I better look for new speakers altogether and sell these for what I can get. Any recommendations?

Is there anyway to fix my existing ones though? Or anybody here got any extra ones laying around?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

also could I use any tweeters from any other cheap speakers or something? does the ohm or watts matter? I found some used Japanese Tweeters for sale I may be able to get 3 for $10 - $20.. So was wondering if they will be a good enough replacement or if there is something I should watch out.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
It's not likely to break anything (though possible), but it's also not likely to sound good using random tweeters. They may not be stable to the crossover, they may have a different efficiency than the mid driver, etc.