I Thought The Thrill Was Gone - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About three years ago I received a gift of a vintage 1964 Fischer all tube receiver. To my surprise after swapping out my Conrad Johnson PV 10B (tube) preamp and Parasound HTC 115 wpc amp combo for the new unit, the Fischer not only worked, but it sounded good. It sounded so good that after replacing the output tubes, it has remained in my system providing wonderful tubey bliss ever since. Well, recently the right channel started developing a crackling noise. I wasn't sure if it was the receiver or the speakers. So, got the CJ/Parasound combo out of the closet, and hooked it back up. It's the receiver...oh well. The new sound was good, but I had gotten used to the vintage tubes. My speakers are Cambridge Soundworks Newton T500 towers. They have a tweeter , mid, and mid-bass in the front and powered sub and passive radiator on the side. I decided to try to run my speaker cables from the Parasound to the mid/tweets etc. and instead run interconnects from the preamp out on the CJ to the sub in on the powered subs. Interesting results. Now that the small speakers didn"t have to share current with the subs, there was a noticeable difference in familiar recordings. Instruments were more solid with greater separation. Notes had longer sustain and decay. Solo instruments weren't diminished by the dynamic increase of bass, trap drums, percussion, or piano. Instruments were able to express themselves more fully along side one another. It seems that now that the subs aren't demanding any of the Parasounds power, there's plenty of power for voices and instruments to share. Well, with one kid in college and one not far behind, I don't get many indulgences these days. I thought there was no more "wow" left in audio for me, and best of all the wow was free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thats cool. Free is always good.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page