Klipsch Center with Paradigm Monitor 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a complete Paradigm system. Monitor 7`s ,Center 3 ,Subs 10 & Mini Monitors. Last night a neighbor brought over his Klipsch RC-62 II Center. We took out the Center 3 & put it in & ran Audyessy. It really sounded good to both of us. Actually it sounded better than the Center3.
This is not supposed to happen. I hope I do not get flamed to bad for this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
This is not supposed to happen.
Evidently it did. wink.gif

No-one ever said that a CC speaker from one manufacturer couldn't sound good with a pair of mains from a different manufacturer. It's just less likely that such a combination will result in good timbre-matching across the front soundstage, which is why mixing-and-matching is not a recommended approach.

But, hey, if it works, it works... smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

The biggest difference we heard was dialogue seemed clearer. Of course we are both old coots whose hearing wasn't what it used to be.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Clearer dialogue is a good thing. It's one of the reasons I love my Paradigm CC-690. cool.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
On a couple of occasions, when people were having problems with unclear dialogue, I recommended the Cambridge S50 center speaker.

It seems to work extremely well with a wide variety of front speakers.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

The Paradigm CC-690 would not fit size wise in my setup or I would consider it. I see Crutchfield has the Cambridge. I will do some checking on it.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

The biggest difference we heard was dialogue seemed clearer. Of course we are both old coots whose hearing wasn't what it used to be.

There is a mantra here...there is no right and wrong..."if sounds good to you then it is good." For most people having mix and matched front sound stage would sound bad. If it sounds good to you...go for it! Klipsch may be an excellent choice for you as it tends to be, in polite terms, bright. So may be good to you.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

Of course we are both old coots whose hearing wasn't what it used to be.

This is probably the best explanation. The Klipsch with their brighter, more dynamic sound is just easier for you to hear, even though it may not be producing a good timbre match across the front soundstage. smile.gif

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 16 Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

^ ^ ^ ^
That makes sense to me. The Dialogue sounds better to me with Klipsch. When I listen to his setup at his place the Music background in movies sounds better with my Paradigm`s.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

You "should" be able to adjust your center with equalizer settings to give it a similar tone to a Klipsch via the AVR menu...depending on your model etc. May be the best of both worlds for you.

Basically you would want to increase the volume of the center probably +5 db and then increase the upper end via an equalizer setting.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 392
It is said that horns are best for HT. I think that you just heard if for yourself.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #12 of 16 Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

It is said that horns are best for HT. I think that you just heard if for yourself.

Well..you made me laugh. It is said that Horns are effiecent ..so can be played loud. Now if you read Klipsch marketing materials of course they may say that and Klipsch is used in MANY theaters (most widely used) but that is mostly because they can be driven easily to quite loud volumes which is required for a movie theater.

Just pointing out... I have NEVER seen it said by people that know...that horns are best for Home Theater. Horns are generally characterized as "bright, dynamic and are effiecent so easy to drive loud" ...that does not necessarily equate to best for Home Theater though.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Well..you made me laugh. It is said that Horns are effiecent ..so can be played loud. Now if you read Klipsch marketing materials of course they may say that and Klipsch is used in MANY theaters (most widely used) but that is mostly because they can be driven easily to quite loud volumes which is required for a movie theater.

Just pointing out... I have NEVER seen it said by people that know...that horns are best for Home Theater. Horns are generally characterized as "bright, dynamic and are effiecent so easy to drive loud" ...that does not necessarily equate to best for Home Theater though.
I did not say it, I am repeating what I have heard, certainly not my thought. Paint it anyway you want, most of the home theater guys will say that horns are better for home theater. It is only an opinion just like anyone else's.. Chase SHO 10's and the Klpsch Reference series are two mentioned that are good speakers for HT.
Link
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1351664/horn-tweeters-in-the-home-theater-advantages-and-disadvantages

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #14 of 16 Old 02-03-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

You "should" be able to adjust your center with equalizer settings to give it a similar tone to a Klipsch via the AVR menu...depending on your model etc. May be the best of both worlds for you.

Basically you would want to increase the volume of the center probably +5 db and then increase the upper end via an equalizer setting.

I have a Onkyo 3009. I have increased the volume 4db higher that what Audyssy set it at & it helped. Where would be the best to start with the equalizer?
post #15 of 16 Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

I think the 3009 allows you to adjust per speaker vs global. If you go to recievers forum and explain your problem ...I am sure someone who knows your reciever can help you! Best of all it would be free.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

I can adjust each speaker individually but I have to turn off Audyssey. Thanks for trying to help.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page