New HT from scratch -Paradigm Studio 100 vs B&W CM9 vs Aperion Grand Verus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright guys, I need some advice here. The more research I do, the more confused I get. I am building a dedicated HT in basement (12 x 16). Movie/TV/Music % will be 60/20/20 approx. I have short listed Hsu VTF-15H Subwoofer ($ 1000) and a pair of Axiom QS8 ($600 pair) for surround. I am still on fence with the front three. I have shortlisted these.

Paradigm Studio 100 and CC690 - $4600
B&W CM9GB and BW CMC2 - $4250
Aperion Grand Verus trio - $2800

I have auditioned Paradigms and B&W but not at the same place/time. I liked them both. I have never heard Aperions but they have received glowing reviews. Paradigms 100 on the other hand, despite mixed reviews, have a large and loyal following. I am ready to spend more if its worth it.

Thoughts?? Recommendations?? Especially from people who actually listened to these ina HT setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well since the Aperion are about 60% the cost of your other options. I would at least give them a shot.

I auditioned the Paradigm Stupid 100, 60 and 20's...Alot. I didn't care for them at all. (personal preferance here)

I like "some" B&W but do not love B&W. Not to say some of their stuff isn't outstanding... There are just aspects to their speakers that I don't like. I have heard everything from the cheap line to the 12k a speaker line.

I have yet to hear the Aperion..but plan on ordering next week to try out a pair.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Well since the Aperion are about 60% the cost of your other options. I would at least give them a shot.

I auditioned the Paradigm Stupid 100, 60 and 20's...Alot. I didn't care for them at all. (personal preferance here)

I like "some" B&W but do not love B&W. Not to say some of their stuff isn't outstanding... There are just aspects to their speakers that I don't like. I have heard everything from the cheap line to the 12k a speaker line.

I have yet to hear the Aperion..but plan on ordering next week to try out a pair.

Thanks for reply. What would you recommend for front three in this price range for HT?
post #4 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well if it were me..... oh it was me....
While I like all your options,
I'd give the Aperion Grand Verus trio a try.
I just received the GVC, waiting for the GV Towers.
Based on the Center speaker alone I'm very happy with my decision,
the build quality is excellent, as is the Cherry finish,
not to mention it's the best sounding center speaker I've ever owned.
Besides what do you have to lose,
Aperion ships both ways for free....

StayThristyMyFriends
post #5 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would audition the Aperion if it were me. Free 30 day in home trial with free shipping to and from if you choose not to like it. I use all B&W and I really enjoy them, but I would love to try the Aperion Verus grand speakers.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Since it is basically free give the Aperion a shot.

From what I personally have auditioned so far I liked the Klipsch RF-7II ... fairly ugly and HUGE but nice sound.

I loved the Sonas Fiber Venere 2.5 and the 3.0 is coming out in next couple weeks. The sound stage was AMAZING. They 2.5 are not cheap though 2.5k for the pair and the center another 700. 3.0 are around 3500 I think.

I tried the RF-52 - 82 and found them a tad harsh. I stepped up to the RF-7II and found it nice. I plan to give it one more shot.

Again... I can't stress this enough and it took a good two months of research to get this through my head...

You bring in a pair of 400 dollar speakers and a pair of 40k speakers and have 100 people listen to them.

You are going to get a percentage that just perfer the sound of the 400 dollar speakers over the 40k. And the percentage who actually perfer the 400 may suprise you.

Audition, audition and audition some more .... then make absolutely sure whoever you buy from will accept returns. What you hear at their place...may not be what you hear at home because there are 20x other moving pieces that can affect what you hear.

Audition the Aperion in your house...then make the call. If you are not smiling at the end of a couple songs and a movie or two... Ship them back. Its that simple. You will KNOW when you fall in love with your speakers.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post

I would audition the Aperion if it were me. Free 30 day in home trial with free shipping to and from if you choose not to like it. I use all B&W and I really enjoy them, but I would love to try the Aperion Verus grand speakers.

Thanks. Can I ask you what AV cabinet/rack are you using for your gear. Looks nice!
post #8 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post

Thanks. Can I ask you what AV cabinet/rack are you using for your gear. Looks nice!

It is a flexi rack I custom made for my gear. I didn't have any entertainment centers that I liked which would house my center channel. So I went with this style using 3/4" threaded rod and 3/4" plywood. I wish I would have read about the Aperion Verus grand before building this because the Verus center is considerable wider than my HTM7. I am pleased with my setup though so I feel I will just hold off on looking into the Aperion for now, even though I think they would be a great addition to my HT.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

KEF 900 system would also fit in budget and I read good reviews. I have added them to my 'to audition' list.

Any thoughts?
post #10 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 AM

Hey nonstopdoc1,

Did you make a decision yet? I'm looking at the same three and any feedback would be great.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post

Hey nonstopdoc1,

Did you make a decision yet? I'm looking at the same three and any feedback would be great.

Not yet mate. I am looking for a new house. Speakers come later smile.gif But I think I am going to give Aperions a try and if I dont like them than go with Paradigms.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page