Help me build a $1000 garage system that will rock - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I'm mostly a lurker and have been reading up on some speakers to build a garage system. I dont really have a budget but my conscience is holding me back to $1000 on speakers(and possibly amp) that will go in a detached 1200sqft garage with 12 ft ceilings. I've been scouring Craigslist for the past month and reading up on various speakers that will rumble the garage. Here are my requirements:

-looking for used on Craigslist so must be somewhat common
-clarity and punchy a must
-excellent bass response it will be used as HT eventually
-very loud (yes I still love loud hard rock at 45)
-soundstage and perfectly accurate not as important
-source is my ipod through Pioneer SC05 Elite (and CD/DVD)

Here's what I've seen on CL in the past month that has me in a state of analysis paralysis. Klipsh 5.5--$800, Heresy 3 $800, Epic CF3-$800, Bose 901 V-$450, JBL (various vintage and newer), CVega Dx9, RE38's, PSB Image 7pt $525, Realistic Mach II-$100 refoamed. I've also looked at BIC america RTR-15EV's.

My current receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC05 I found on CL and will be adding an amp for fronts and let the receiver run center and rears if needed.

So my $1000 has to cover the speakers and amp (if necessary). I'm clueless as to how these other speakers sound. I previously had some Infinity SM155's but they didnt have the bass I wanted. Maybe I needed an amp to make them sound the way I wanted but they are already sold.

Need some help from some folks that have gone through this! I'm open to any brand really they just have to come up on CL for me at some point. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
... I dont really have a budget but my conscience is holding me back to $1000 on speakers(and possibly amp) that will go in a detached 1200sqft garage with 12 ft ceilings.
. . .
-clarity and punchy a must
-excellent bass response it will be used as HT eventually
-very loud (yes I still love loud hard rock at 45)
-soundstage and perfectly accurate not as important
. . .
So my $1000 has to cover the speakers and amp (if necessary).
Given that your space is a cavernous 14,400 cu.ft., IMO $1,000 will get you a good pair of towers for mains -or- one good sub, but not both and not everything you're looking for.

IMO, something like this would be a minimum requirement:
- a pair of SHO-10 speakers (or equivalent); and
- dual PSA XV-15 ($799/ea., shipped).
post #3 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Eljay those products look like they'd get the job done. I'd like to stick with used so resale wont take a hit if I swap out components as I'm experimenting with the sound. I've been reading up on the PSA subs--they look like a fantastic deal for the $$.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Those PSA subwoofers are awesome value. I would stay far far away from any CHT products, too shady and unpredictable with past issues (company closing, not closing, now its closing, owner has had enough with gov't BS, now staying open, now closing again).

I would pick up a set of refurb/used Polk RTi12s/A9 towers. Dual midrange and 3 7" woofers add a nice receiver/stereo amp and you'll be doing pretty good.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
I would stay far far away from any CHT products, too shady and unpredictable with past issues ...
As things currently stand, I would agree, which is why I specifically added "or equivalent". The SHO-10s throw a huge soundstage, and they can play very loud very cleanly; if there are other similar - and similarly-priced - speakers out there, the OP should definitely consider buying them.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
post #7 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Considering this is going in a GARAGE I would go with those Bic RTR's

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-RTR-EV15-Eviction-Bi-Ampable-High-Efficiency/dp/B003H3L76I/ref=pd_cp_e_2

And if you feel the need for a beefier amp, something like this QSC would do the trick

http://www.amazon.com/QSC-GX3-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B0018D63KO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1359843699&sr=1-1&keywords=gx3

Plus two on the qsc amp.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd buy new if the right deal came my way but I'm looking for used that I can resell easily and lose very little. As I said my budget is more self imposed and if the right equipment came up on CL and was worthwhile I'd pull the trigger. Anyone have experience with the BIC horn speakers? I'm probably over thinking whats going in my garage but its fun looking!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I think you'd be better off using a pair of powered PA speakers. A lot of volume and power without having to get an external power amp.
There are lots available at Guitar Center.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 654
When you get ready for a sub, look at the Premier Acoustics PA-150 available through Acoustic Sound Design. They ask for offers, so try $350. That sub is not as popular as some others for home audio usage because it doesn't have much output below 30hz. What it does have is massive output above there. Your room is so big, that I'd go for two of those.

Here are measurements for it (see the link at the bottom): http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=48

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page