JBL L890 (L880) with Yamaha RX-V573 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to the topic, but in the past week I did a lot of research on various floor speakers and receivers and I think I settled on the JBL L890 (or L880) and the Yamaha RX-V573.

There are really a lot of options out there in terms of speakers, but I found these ones as a good combination of looks and sound quality (although neither of these were assessed in person, but just from photos and online reviews and forums). I also considered pretty seriously the Polk TSi500, Klipsch WF-35, Polk RTI A7 or Yamaha NS777, but in the end I kind of settled on the JBLs (I may still change my mind, but probably not).

Anyway, the second choice is that of the receiver and here I excluded Onkyo (seem like they have reliability issues), Pioneer (seem like their networking is not very good and I do plan to play a lot of music from my PC or internet radio) and in the end settled for the Yamaha since it seemed like the better value out of the rest (Denon, HK, Sony). I only plan to buy two fronts and maybe later a sub and a center, but I chose the RX-V573 rather than RX-V474 because of the higher power and the bi-amp feature.

Do you think that the two would work well together? I've read that the JBL L890s need a lot of power and thus as I said above, I chose the RX-V573 (which can also bi-amp), but I'm still not sure whether that's enough and since I read somewhere here that not enough power for a given speaker can lead to pretty disappointing outcomes, I wanted to be sure that the two would work out well together.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions of any kind, I would appreciate them. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The impedance of those speakers (and pretty much every dual woofer speaker) does get down to 4ohms below 300hz, so yes a strong receiver will make the speaker sound better. A weak receiver is going to strain when the volume is turned up, and this even even more of an issue if you're running the speakers full range without a sub. I would definitely go with one of the Pioneer receivers featuring class D amps that can handle 4 ohm loads without issue

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Receivers-_-N82E16882117412&gclid=COvLtqDZmLUCFe5xQgodW0kALQ
post #3 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am looking now over that Pioneer receiver and I may get that one in the end. I do wonder a little bit though if the RX-V573 would be good enough for a few years (3-4). The thing is that I expect that within the next few years, the network connectivity and user interface will be much better for all receivers and at some point I may want to upgrade to a receiver that allows for a smoother overall experience when using them to play music from a PC or internet. So I'm a little bit weary of investing too much in a receiver right now, even if on certain dimensions it would be a perfect choice.

So basically I wonder whether that Yamaha would be a decent option for a few years, meaning that the sound quality would be good enough and the receiver won't die too fast.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It's hard to say how it will do specifically with those speakers. Chances are if you're only powering the 2 speakers it will work out okay, start adding more speakers to the mix and things might get worse. The yamaha is only $350, so I can see why its appealing.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Hey, what system did you get?
I really like the looks and specs of those JBL's although I have not heard them. I spoke with the owner of a stereo shop and he said JBL speakers tend to sound very bright. But I like rock/metal music and those are good for that.
I have heard the Yamaha's and they sounded really good to me, especially for HT system.
Just wondering what you decided on.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

The sad thing is that I still have not yet purchased anything because I'm not sure what to do about neither the speakers nor the receiver. I actually also like rock/metal music so what you say about the JBLs is good news for me, although from what I've read here it seems like everyone sees the brightness of the speakers to be something negative. I personally don't even know what they are talking about, but if something is almost a consensus, there may be some truth to it. On the other hand, if the brightness is indeed good for metal, then I guess it should be fine. But I do wonder though whether you can trust a salesman. In general I don't, but sometimes they may be honest. Anyway, about the receiver, I still contemplate whether to get the Yamaha or the Pioneer SC 1222 which is almost continuously on sale at newegg for $529.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 AM

Liked: 56
Home Theater reviewed the 573 and the measurement for power output was 20.8 watts for five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads 0.1% distortion. I think the argument that it's a "better quality" 20 watts is ridiculous.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/yamaha-rx-v473-and-rx-v573-av-receivers-ht-labs-measures

Check the JBL speaker thread for comments on the L890, looks like owners are happy.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/866797/the-official-jbl-owners-thread/13650#post_23032242

You could also consider the Klipsch reference series.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi, I have both the L890s and L880s as fronts in 2 differrent surround systems and a pair of L890s as a stereo system.
The L880s are easily driven by an HK 50wpc (all channels 20 to 20Khz).
The L890 system is driven by an HK 75wpc (all channels 20 to 20Khz).
And the L890s in stereo have a 250w power amp.
Unless you have a very large room to fill the multi channel amps are plenty and of course the power amp will make bass you can feel on your chest with the L890s.

I would not trust an AVR whose power is measured @ 1Khz.
Bass and mid bass which require the power from the amp are 20 to 300hz. Even with a sub/ 80hz crossover you still need to make power up to and beyond 300hz. That is why rating an amp @ 1Khz is meaningless.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Liked: 56
The Pioneer SC-1222 and Elite SC-61 are said to have the same amp section, you can see measurements from the SC-61 here:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures
Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx V573 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V573 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page