In expencive "large" book shelves with matching relativly small center? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So my mom has been wanting a dvd player on are upstairs TV and some "TV speakers" and well sense a sound bar was to long, I convinced her to get a Yamaha RX-373 and a separate LG bluray player over some crappy HTIAB thing but the SP-BS22's were $129 and the frequently go on same for $89 so I told her to wait and id look around for speakers.

The Yamaha is really nice I looked up the 473 and it has the same power ratings it just has networking which just confused her when I tried to tell her about it so I went with the 373.

I have the pioneer 51 5.0 so I wanted to get her the BS22's but I told her for movies that adding a center channel would really help (she doesn't want wires for the rears ran every where) but there is no way that the huge Pioneer center is going to work. She doesn't want a sub so I want to get her the largest book shelves she can stand which would be about like the pioneers or maybe the polk 5.25" book shelves, which are about the same size, but we would need a matching center that is pretty small.

I saw the Klipsch quintet was on sale for $275 at best buy but then the front speakers are tiny and it comes with rears and I wouldn't run that system with out a sub. Any Ideas? Budgets about $300 and I don't need to get the center right away I just need to know that there is a center to go with that is only like 4-6" tall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

I could get the Polk T15's but then the matching CSR center channel is 7" tall and the tiny blackstone center goes with the tiny blackstone satellites...

Only thing I have thought of are Wharfedale 10.1's with the CC center but thats a little more than I was hoping to spend.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Get a pair of Polk R150 speakers, which are $110 per pair, and a Polk TL2 Center speaker, which also runs about $110.

The TL2 is only 4 1/4 inches tall.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Will they sound good together? What are the T15's vs the R150's and the M10's? The T15's MSRP is higher but they all are $100 street price. Polks upside down speakers sorta bug me?

I also found the Cambridge audio S30's and S50?
post #5 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

Will they sound good together? What are the T15's vs the R150's and the M10's? The T15's MSRP is higher but they all are $100 street price. Polks upside down speakers sorta bug me?

regarding the polks, all 3 speaker models are very similar, and given that they are all part of what polk calls the R/T/M series they are made to work together and likely do not have a huge difference in sound. i am fairly certain they all use the same driver and tweeter materials. The slight cabinet differences and the port location differences could add up to small differences in sound. Personally I like the look of the T-15 the best out of the three, and as it has the highest msrp out of the 3 it is possible that it might have a slightly better build quality...granted it still is a cheap speaker.tongue.gif

I would not pair any of these with the TL2 center, as the TL2 is made to work with polks blackstone series and would be timber matched to that series. Also of note, the TL2 only goes down to 125hz which is too high. The CSR and CSM are rated to about 60hz which would work out perfect for the often recommended 80hz crossover when using a sub....even when not using a sub i find it best to use speakers that have the fullest range possible given size and cost constraints. also consider that the center is not just for voices/dialog, every sound that is anchored to the screen comes out of the center, to include music and a ton of effect sounds.

the recommended center to use with the R/T/M series is the CSR or CSM...with the CSR being the better looking of the two in my opinion....although if space is an issue, the CSM is slightly smaller then the CSR. Also consider using an additional bookshelf speaker of whichever model you ultimately decide on running as a center.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

^ Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking but the CSM is to big at 6.5" tall.

Do you think there is any issue using the Wharfedale diamond 10 CC with the 10.1's? (It is supposedly best with the 10.0's that are square and have matching 4" drivers)

The CC is under 5" tall where the 5" driver (10.1 matching) CS is over 7" tall and wont fit under the TV and then I mite as well go with the Pioneer 3.0
post #7 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:

^ Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking but the CSM is to big at 6.5" tall.

Do you think there is any issue using the Wharfedale diamond 10 CC with the 10.1's? (It is supposedly best with the 10.0's that are square and have matching 4" drivers)

The CC is under 5" tall where the 5" driver (10.1 matching) CS is over 7" tall and wont fit under the TV and then I mite as well go with the Pioneer 3.0

I am not the one to ask and I am not very familiar at all in regards to wharfdale speakers....but I did briefly look them up and if I had to guess i would say you'd be all right running them together...but not an expert on this one.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:

The Cambridge Audiio is on another/higher level, compared to the Polk set.
The Cambridge is a good option, for movies and music.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page