Speakers for garage and patio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a newbie whose been researching some speakers/receivers for while now. But I have a couple questions before I make my purchases.

My house is under construction and had been pre-wired to have a 4 speakers in living room, 2 in garage (22x30) & 2 on the back patio (18x10). To keep the wife happy, I'm going to put in-ceiling speakers. I will be using an ONKYO TX-NR515 (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88VI) w/ a speaker selector (http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSS4-4-Channel-Speaker-Selector/dp/B000NJHAFQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359914472&sr=1-2&keywords=pyle+speaker+selector) so that I can turn off garage and outside speakers while watching tv when I would like.

For the garage, I was looking at using OSD ACE800 (http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/acneinar8pai.html) as I've read some really good things about them. Has anyone had any experience with using these & would they be good fit in my large garage? My only concern is if these will hold up in garage down here Louisiana. I would really like to only spend no more than $200/pair for the garage.

For the back patio, I was thinking something needs to be more durable with the weather and possibility of getting wet. I was looking at the OSD ICE600TTWRS (http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/weather-resistant-in-ceiling-speakers.html). What are your thoughts on these? Would they be a good fit for my patio? For the patio, I'm not looking to spend more than $200/pair.

Still have no decided on living room speakers, so these 2 areas are what I'm focusing on for now.

Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything with the Pyle pro name. Just cheap crap!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
See, that's the type info I'm looking for! I'm new so I don't know much about this stuff. I'll look into another speaker selector.

Any other opinions on the speakers themselves or suggestions on what I should look into?
post #4 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was in the same boat a few months ago. We recently built a house as well. I decided as soon as our old place sells I'm going with the SONOS wireless setup. SQ will be adequate and you can move speakers around or put speakers in every room with ease.

If I'm doing critical listening I'm doing it in my theater/game room. So I decided to forgo the dynaudio's I originally planned to buy (XEO). I'll get the SONOS system, build it in phases and have easy portability from the master, kitchen, garage, back patio, etc.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I bought a house a few yrs ago and needed some speakers for the screen porch. After trying a few that were just too large for the space (wanted good bass) I ended up with these polks. The sats looks nice, can be mounted on a pole in the ground, hung as pendants or mounted on a wall (what I did). They wire up as 2ch and sound GREAT. Mids and highs are well balanced and the sub really thumps nicely. The sub looks like a tera cotta stand and you could even put a plant on it and would blend right in. I've been very very happy with the set and run it off the zone 2 of my living room receiver. I know what the retail price is but I found a pair of the sats and the sub for $400 at Frys so there are good prices out there. To get the level of bass I wanted, it was either a large speaker (~1x1.5-2') or a sub. I definitely made the right choice. Sounds like your wife would probably not mind the looks of them either, mine doesn't. I will add that it sounds best with the sub placed between the sats due to the higher crossover point that's built into it.
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-news/speaker-systems-news/polk-audio-announces-outdoor-atrium-sat-30-and-sub-10-speakers.html[IMG]
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page