New HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

So were a group of college students that own a company called Static Entertainment LLC. We currently operate in Sioux City, Iowa with plans to branch throughout Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Currently our companies basic operation is we throw large "night club events" 18+ one night every 3 to 4 months. We have explored the idea of throwing underage events in between our 18+ events as well, using our equipment to do weddings, corporate events, and other events as well. We are looking to buy a system to make this happen. We currently have 10k budgeted. We have the ability to get lights at a discounted rate, therefore that isnt as much of an issues. Our current budget is 4k for lights, (we can get alot of great stuff for the price) 5k for sound and 1k for misc things such as cables. My reason for posting is I have very little knowledge only as much as I can read on speakers and etc. Therefore I'm looking for help to make all of this a reality. Our current event space is 10k sq feet. We have on average 500 people at an event. Any suggestions, in regards to speaker and sub brand, model, type, etc. Also, what type of lights would be best, lasers, intelligent lighting, etc. (There is one brand for lighting we can get so the suggestion for lighting should be the type not brand)

I have attached an event setup visualization for everyone to see.

Please let me know

I have linked our company website and Facebook page:

www.static-entertainment.com

http://www.facebook.com/StaticEntertainment

I really appreciate any responses, any suggestions, any help. We just want to make this possible.

Thank You,
Blake Anderson
admin@static-entertainment.com
Static Entertainment LLC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Liked: 13
This is more of a home theater forum guys, you may be better off posting in forums that focus more on concert/band equipment. But with that i will try and help as best as i can.

This forum is for people who are typically filling small to medium sized house rooms with quality sound; loudness usually takes a back seat to quality as the rooms are small (compared to a hall banquet hall) and most speakers will typically be output plent of sound for our sized rooms. This is not the case for you. But a simple rule of thumb that most people base their speaker decision on is as fallows:
First decide how much power or room filling sound you require, you need ALOT; alot alot because your trying to fill very large rooms with sound (try calculating your average square foot of your venues, this will help you estimate what you will need for sound level output), then once you figure out that buy the highest quality sounding speakers you can, that meet your sound level requirements, and budget requirements. Seems obvious but thats what you will need to follow.

Danley Sound offers whats called the Labs DTS-10 kit, its an incredibly powerful well performing subwoofer more designed for concert type equipment. they send you all the prefabbed peices to build the box (enclosure) and the drivers/subs. You build it and save alot, and you get ALOT in return. Then you would rely on rack amps to power it all. this can be had for under $1000 and take care of ALL of your your low end bass. Call them they will help, and trust me its very easy to build, dont be discouraged, it has directions. Best value here. heres what the specs and kit look like:

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=4

as for speakers I do not know enough about concert equipment to make recommendations, but i would say try to score a deal at guitar center or craigslist for some nice stuff on the cheap. Its okay to buy used, nothing wrong with that, and for self starters like yourselves, you can save alot of cash, get BETTER equipment, and do larger events which means more $$$! My $.02.

Power: you will likely need rack amps on a portable tower (roller tower) to power all speakers. Amps DEF buy used, (again guitar center, Craigslist) they are typically pretty rugged, and you can save you boat load of cash.

For efficiency please do take note of the speakers sensitivity rating, This will be how efficient the speakers are at converting raw power into sound energy. The more efficient the more you will save on needing powerful amps to get the same amount of sound. try to shoot for somewhere between 92-100db @ 1watt @ 1 meter, less and youll spend alot on amps to get the same volume, any more youll spend alot on speakers which is not ideal for you case. i believe 3db is noticeably louder. every 6db will translate into the audience perceiving the sound to be twice as loud.

Make sure you match the amps to the speakers properly with not only wattage or power output but also by there impedance or load- 6ohm 8ohm ect.

Finally my last piece of advice, if your on a budget, it may be wise to get full range loud speakers. These as you are probably aware, these speakers output bass aswell as midrange and high end. Typically require amps. At your budget constraints, with the amount of sound you will require, this will more than likely be your best option.

Again i cannot recommend anything because i have not done enough research for these types of (concert)speakers to offer an opinion/ recommendation.

I hope this helps with my limited knowledge, but i think your barking up the wrong tree here. Im sure there will be plenty of members that can make recommendations aside for myself, but i think more could be had elsewhere in different forums for bands/DJ & concert equipment.

GL,
KO
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
check prosoundweb

but no matter what, DO NOT GET the DTS-10 KIT, you don't need something that goes that low when it comes to prosound, because it won't work in for your venue. And they are next to impossible to move anywhere, i know because i have 2 at home.

5k budgeted for sound will get your some pretty crappy sound, unless you are willing to do a bit of diy.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Oh also, please do not spend a huge amound to money on cables. Granted your cables will likely get far more use than our application (plugging/unplugging, walking over, moving constantly) but dont get drawn in to an expensive cable sham. Just get the AWG you need (look it up on wiki) length and nothing more. Look at it this way, if they suck and are not rugged enough, just get better stuff down the line and worry about it then. hope this helps.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

check prosoundweb

but no matter what, DO NOT GET the DTS-10 KIT, you don't need something that goes that low when it comes to prosound, because it won't work in for your venue. And they are next to impossible to move anywhere, i know because i have 2 at home.

5k budgeted for sound will get your some pretty crappy sound, unless you are willing to do a bit of diy.

You have two?? where did you put them, they are huge- seriously!? was looking at them but they need amps which means they will cost more than double that frown.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Operator View Post

You have two?? where did you put them, they are huge- seriously!? was looking at them but they need amps which means they will cost more than double that frown.gif

most people in the diy forum purchased 2. and everything in the diy forums requires separate amps. take a look into the behringer ep4000, lots of bang for your buck, especially with it being $275 at walmart and amazon.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM

thanks for the tip. i will!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Operator View Post

This is more of a home theater forum guys, you may be better off posting in forums that focus more on concert/band equipment. But with that i will try and help as best as i can.

This forum is for people who are typically filling small to medium sized house rooms with quality sound; loudness usually takes a back seat to quality as the rooms are small (compared to a hall banquet hall) and most speakers will typically be output plent of sound for our sized rooms. This is not the case for you. But a simple rule of thumb that most people base their speaker decision on is as fallows:
First decide how much power or room filling sound you require, you need ALOT; alot alot because your trying to fill very large rooms with sound (try calculating your average square foot of your venues, this will help you estimate what you will need for sound level output), then once you figure out that buy the highest quality sounding speakers you can, that meet your sound level requirements, and budget requirements. Seems obvious but thats what you will need to follow.

Danley Sound offers whats called the Labs DTS-10 kit, its an incredibly powerful well performing subwoofer more designed for concert type equipment. they send you all the prefabbed peices to build the box (enclosure) and the drivers/subs. You build it and save alot, and you get ALOT in return. Then you would rely on rack amps to power it all. this can be had for under $1000 and take care of ALL of your your low end bass. Call them they will help, and trust me its very easy to build, dont be discouraged, it has directions. Best value here. heres what the specs and kit look like:

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=4

as for speakers I do not know enough about concert equipment to make recommendations, but i would say try to score a deal at guitar center or craigslist for some nice stuff on the cheap. Its okay to buy used, nothing wrong with that, and for self starters like yourselves, you can save alot of cash, get BETTER equipment, and do larger events which means more $$$! My $.02.

Power: you will likely need rack amps on a portable tower (roller tower) to power all speakers. Amps DEF buy used, (again guitar center, Craigslist) they are typically pretty rugged, and you can save you boat load of cash.

For efficiency please do take note of the speakers sensitivity rating, This will be how efficient the speakers are at converting raw power into sound energy. The more efficient the more you will save on needing powerful amps to get the same amount of sound. try to shoot for somewhere between 92-100db @ 1watt @ 1 meter, less and youll spend alot on amps to get the same volume, any more youll spend alot on speakers which is not ideal for you case. i believe 3db is noticeably louder. every 6db will translate into the audience perceiving the sound to be twice as loud.

Make sure you match the amps to the speakers properly with not only wattage or power output but also by there impedance or load- 6ohm 8ohm ect.

Finally my last piece of advice, if your on a budget, it may be wise to get full range loud speakers. These as you are probably aware, these speakers output bass aswell as midrange and high end. Typically require amps. At your budget constraints, with the amount of sound you will require, this will more than likely be your best option.

Again i cannot recommend anything because i have not done enough research for these types of (concert)speakers to offer an opinion/ recommendation.

I hope this helps with my limited knowledge, but i think your barking up the wrong tree here. Im sure there will be plenty of members that can make recommendations aside for myself, but i think more could be had elsewhere in different forums for bands/DJ & concert equipment.

GL,
KO

Where is the dj/concernt equip forum your speaking of? Knight can you simplify everything you wrote? I really appreciate it!
Thanks
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page