Sick of decisions....about to take the plunge on DV62si - AVS Forum
Speakers > Sick of decisions....about to take the plunge on DV62si
shishkabab's Avatar shishkabab 10:10 AM 02-04-2013
I've been in the market for bookshelf speakers for a couple weeks now and it's just so tough to make a decision. I'm new to all this and keep jumping back and forth. This will eventually be a 2.1 system....but I'd like to start getting the pieces together. My budget for the speakers are roughly 250 and I just came across these:

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV62si-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDI/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1300770174&sr=1-10

Looks like a deal for 113 for a pair. Anything else you guys/gals would recommend before I purchase?

Elihawk's Avatar Elihawk 10:42 AM 02-04-2013
If you can get the Def Tech SM350 for 170 dollars, like you could last week...that is one solid speaker. Nothing against the Bic pair, I haven't heard them- just take the plunge and enjoy!
Newbie01's Avatar Newbie01 10:44 AM 02-04-2013
Lets put it this way... You are the first person I ever heard goign for BIC in a 2.1 configuration. Most of the BIC are for HT in a 5.1 config. Not to say its wrong...but you can find MUCH better speakers off craig list for 250...my two cents.

Much better = Much better on Paper... Only your ears can tell you what is right for you.

HTD, Aperion, HSU and EMP have great options in that price range.
shishkabab's Avatar shishkabab 10:53 AM 02-04-2013
Thanks for the replies.....I wasn't aware this is more suited for a 5.1 system....shows just how much a noob I am smile.gif

I've also been looking at the Cambridge S30......I'm wondering....would these be fine if place about 3 feet apart on the entertainment center...I don't want to get stands for them.

Also.....would the S30 be better suited for a 2.1 system? Thanks for the help!
Louquid's Avatar Louquid 11:14 AM 02-04-2013
How can speakers be desgined or better suited towards HT or music? If speakers sound good, then they will sound good with either music or movies.
shishkabab's Avatar shishkabab 11:31 AM 02-04-2013
sooooooooooooo.....

I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Cambridge s30's for 219

or

Def Tech SM350 for 179

or

Def Tech SM450 for 299

....which would you buy for a 2.1?
Elihawk's Avatar Elihawk 11:40 AM 02-04-2013
No one can, or should tell you which one to choose!
I have both def tech speakers and currently use the sm450s with a Martin Logan dynamo sub. Mostly for music, but they are hooked up fir tv/ movie viewing as well.
A very balanced speaker. Hits low surprisingly well (maybe not as well as def tech claims), and is solid in the midrange and high freq! Gets loud and is pretty dynamic!
Directly compared these to the Polk m40s and pioneer bookshelves and felt these were by far the best of the three!
Dave1027's Avatar Dave1027 05:28 PM 02-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Lets put it this way... You are the first person I ever heard goign for BIC in a 2.1 configuration. Most of the BIC are for HT in a 5.1 config. Not to say its wrong...but you can find MUCH better speakers off craig list for 250...my two cents..
I use my BIC DV62si's in a 2.1 config and they are impressive to say the least. They are better than my old JBL 4311s. Try to find those JBLs on craigs list for $250. If you do they won't be working.
Dave1027's Avatar Dave1027 05:32 PM 02-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

How can speakers be desgined or better suited towards HT or music? If speakers sound good, then they will sound good with either music or movies.
What you have said for the most part is true but most people prefer a forward sounding speaker for HT. The BIC DV62si in their stock configuration are exactly that, forward sounding for HT suround purposes. Music is more a constant sound and forward sounding speakers would be fatiguing for most people.
Newbie01's Avatar Newbie01 06:32 PM 02-04-2013
Quote:

I would have to disagree with you there... Some speakers can do both equally as well. Some are better with movies and some are better with music... Let me break that down further even... Some speakers are better for Rock and Jazz (bass heavy) and some are better at Classical and other music. I am sure someone one with allot more knowledge than me can break it down...

But from what I gather HT / Rock / Pop has allot more to do with sound stage and bass than articulation of individual sounds (its the feeling as a whole) whereas some music empahsis on componet parts is very important.
Louquid's Avatar Louquid 07:12 AM 02-05-2013
I don't see how a forward sounding speaker can be preffered for HT. The front soundstage should blend well for both music and movies. It should create a space for listening rather than a seating position for listening. I feel that speakers that are better at imaging sound throughout a space are considered overall better speakers.
Darrel Drake's Avatar Darrel Drake 08:21 AM 02-05-2013
I own 2-pair of the BIC DV62si speakers, and well for the price I don't think you'll find better speakers.

Now if you are looking to spend a bit more I think you should have a look at Ascend Acoustics and their CBM-170 SE (basing this suggestion on reviews that the speaker receives)
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html
Dave1027's Avatar Dave1027 11:12 AM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Drake View Post

I own 2-pair of the BIC DV62si speakers, and well for the price I don't think you'll find better speakers.

Now if you are looking to spend a bit more I think you should have a look at Ascend Acoustics and their CBM-170 SE (basing this suggestion on reviews that the speaker receives)
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html
Agreed 100% with everything stated.
Dave1027's Avatar Dave1027 11:16 AM 02-05-2013
Quote:

I don't see how a forward sounding speaker can be preffered for HT. .
It mainly applies to surrounds and centers. For those you want the treble to stand out for dialog and effects distinction.
mcarbo's Avatar mcarbo 03:09 AM 02-06-2013
I have a set of DV62si with a PL200 sub and love them. I replaced a set of Klipsch book shelf speakers for the BIC and couldn't be happier. Movies and music sound better to me than my old Klipsch set. Every ear is different, but I'm very happy with my choice.
indio22's Avatar indio22 04:47 AM 02-06-2013
I am currently using this 2.1 setup in my small home office/workshop:

$85 Pioneer BS-41 speaker pair (NewEgg)
$80 Pioneer SW-8 subwoofer (NewEgg)
$90 Denon AVR-1612 receiver (Best Buy clearance)
----
$255 Total

For the price, I find the setup sounds great. Particularly with the Audyssey running, because among other things, it corrected a sub phase issue that my old reliable Technics receiver couldn't handle. In my opinion, listening to music is when Audyssey particularly shines, compared to my home theater and movies, where I don't notice it as much. So if you are able to swing a receiver that has some room correction for your 2.1 setup, might be worth it.

I listen sometimes for hours on end to music while working from home, and the non-fatiguing nature of the BS-41 speakers is a plus. Consider the highs of the BICs depending on how you will use them. My SW-8 sub is smallish and relatively low powered, at least compared to the BIC F12 in my home theater. But the SW-8 works fine in the home office where I don't actually want earth shaking bass all day. So for 2.1 music, you might prefer a bit more bass accuracy rather than boom, depending on room size and listening preferences.

Not sure if the BS-41s speakers are available anymore, but the $85 I spent on the pair turned out to be one of my better purchases.
Tags: Bic America Dv62si Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black With Mini Tool Box Fs
Up
Mobile  Desktop