post #31 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

By the way, I'll have the couch a little less than 3 feet from the back wall in room 2.
That will result in a cancellation mode centered around 90-95Hz. mad.gif
http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

That will result in a cancellation mode centered around 90-95Hz. mad.gif
http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm

But won't there always be some sort of cancellation no matter how well I try to place the speakers and/or the seating? confused.gif

What would you recommend for room 2?
post #33 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But won't there always be some sort of cancellation no matter how well I try to place the speakers and/or the seating? confused.gif
Cancellation will always occur, but some frequencies are much worse than others. Basically you want to avoid cancellations within the 20-150Hz range. To a great extent you can do so with seating placement, but the longer the wavelength the more difficult it is. That's where multiple subs come in. You may be in the null zone of one sub, but not in that of another at the same frequency.

post #34 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Cancellation will always occur, but some frequencies are much worse than others. Basically you want to avoid cancellations within the 20-150Hz range. To a great extent you can do so with seating placement, but the longer the wavelength the more difficult it is. That's where multiple subs come in. You may be in the null zone of one sub, but not in that of another at the same frequency.

Thanks.

By the way, even if the couch is about 3 feet from the back wall, the left/right surrounds will be placed a little higher (not at ear-height while sitting down) on the back wall and toed-in slight to the listening position. Wouldn't this make the distance from the couch to the left/right surrounds (placed on the back wall) around 4-5 feet? With this setup, the cancellation occurs between 55-70 Hz but by then the subwoofer would have taken over because I will be crossing the speakers at 80 Hz. Will this work?
post #35 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks.

By the way, even if the couch is about 3 feet from the back wall, the left/right surrounds will be placed a little higher (not at ear-height while sitting down) on the back wall and toed-in slight to the listening position. Wouldn't this make the distance from the couch to the left/right surrounds (placed on the back wall) around 4-5 feet? With this setup, the cancellation occurs between 55-70 Hz but by then the subwoofer would have taken over because I will be crossing the speakers at 80 Hz. Will this work?
Look at the angles. The surrounds aren't aimed at the back wall and then reflecting off it. The easiest way to compensate for the distance to the rear wall is to have a sub placed to the side and rear of the couch. But you then have to be aware of the reflection distances from that sub to the side walls and the LP.

post #36 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Mark is on record stating the 8C is actually much better suited for small spaces combined with the use of Audyssey, or other automated EQ'ing tools.

Do you know what his definition of small is?

I also like a big, full sound which is why I usually end up with B&W when I need new speakers, but I don't know if they will go the distance with HT. Is Mark still doing AD / DA with all of his speakers? I understand digital correction results in a net gain for his speakers, but would rather not use speakers with built in EQ since I will need to EQ for the room anyway. Still, I figure they're worth a look. Does Mark have a demo pair he loans out, or a reasonable return policy?

I also wonder what the significance of room volume is. Genelec has a speaker selector tool and it's based on both listening distance (which I understand) and total cubic meters of the room (which I don't). Does the ability to "fill the room with sound" make a difference in the big-ness of the sound?

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page