Bose LifeStyle V35 - 80" Sharp 3D HDTV - Basement Theater - $3500 Budget on Surround Sound - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Also, is it best to have the same brand/model subs for a dual sub setup? Or would it be ok to use the Polk sub and say an HSU sub together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 02-09-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbnc2012 View Post

crazyrob,

So far I've only purchased one of the Polk subs for $250 new. Haven't pulled the trigger on the 2nd one. I'm open to the Internet-Direct companies. I'd like to stay below a $1000 if possible, which I think rules out HSU's dual line. Unless it's just completely worth the money. I'm very interested in the SVS Dual 1000's. Suggestions on ported or sealed? It'll be placed on carpet and used mostly on Blu-ray movies/gaming.
Well thats not a bad price for $250 each though a Single quality subwoofer is still what I recommend. I had a Polk 8" subwoofer I used it with a larger higher-end polk subwoofer and notice little to know benefit so I just stuck with one subwoofer. However I at most would have 4 people over and almost every seat in the house was the best seat as I positioned my speakers correctly.
Quote:

Also, is it best to have the same brand/model subs for a dual sub setup? Or would it be ok to use the Polk sub and say an HSU sub together?
Its best to match the subwoofers together have brand and make and model.

Honestly dual subwoofers look great on paper but I personally would rather have one quality subwoofer. You don't really notice the true benefits of Dual subwoofers until you got two quality subwoofer together.

Maybe you should just start with one Polk DSW 550 and see how it goes. If you don't like it I wouldn't buy another as the improvement will be very little I would instead then look towards the ID companies for a one single like the HSU VTF-2 or VTF-3 or SVS PB1000 or PB12-NSD

Dual subwoofers only increase the bass output 3db which is really nothing. It does help to smooth out the bass response throughout the room but you haven't set-up your system yet so you don't know if its need.

One trick to get the best bass response is do the "subwoofer crawl" as that will give you the best possible bass from your subwoofer no matter which one you have. http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement
post #33 of 39 Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

crazyrob,

Excellent advice. I'll get it all setup, I'll go from there. I appreciate all your help! Take care, man!
post #34 of 39 Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM

Liked: 10
Sure ported if your mainly a gamer and movie watcher .
More oomph!

Axiom 375 sub is reasonable too along with what guys above suggested,

I'd buy some rocksawl insulation or acoustic ins.
To make a small enclosure behind each inwall or Inceiling if room allows it.(& back boxes are not used)

I like this wire but to each his own. At $2 per ft at least for front 3.
And mono price for Inceiling .
Ft4/cl2 rated.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/flx-slip-144

Take care.

theaudioguy.ca
post #35 of 39 Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Given the size of your room, you should go with the dual PB-1000 set. They will have a more output than the SB-1000.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #36 of 39 Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Don't spend $2 per foot on wire. Monoprice 12 gauge is cheap and still overkill for what you need.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #37 of 39 Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Update ~

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you all a quick update since the Bose days...

I'm in the early stages of building my home theater. I've got most of my a/v equipment ready to install. It's as follows:

110" Seymour Center Stage XD AT projection screen (it's been a month; still waiting on delivery, as expected)
3x Definitive Technology UIW RLS III's for fronts/center mounted vertically behind the screen
4x Definitive Technology UIW RSS III's for side surrounds (in-ceiling) and rear surrounds (in-wall)
1x Polk Audio DSW Pro 550wi sub (probably need a better sub and will upgrade when possible)
Pioneer Elite SC-65 Receiver
BenQ W7000 1080P Projector

Thanks to you guys and your suggestions, I got a whole lot more oomph and a COMPLETE home theater setup for less than I would've paid for the Bose V35 and Sharp 80" alone...

I greatly appreciate all your input and assistance and will load pictures of the final product upon completion.

Hopefully this thing will be as jam up as I'm expecting...

ZT
post #38 of 39 Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Update ~

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you all a quick update since the Bose days...

I'm in the early stages of building my home theater. I've got most of my a/v equipment ready to install. It's as follows:

110" Seymour Center Stage XD AT projection screen (it's been a month; still waiting on delivery, as expected)
3x Definitive Technology UIW RLS III's for fronts/center mounted vertically behind the screen
4x Definitive Technology UIW RSS III's for side surrounds (in-ceiling) and rear surrounds (in-wall)
1x Polk Audio DSW Pro 550wi sub (probably need a better sub and will upgrade when possible)
Pioneer Elite SC-65 Receiver
BenQ W7000 1080P Projector

Thanks to you guys and your suggestions, I got a whole lot more oomph and a COMPLETE home theater setup for less than I would've paid for the Bose V35 and Sharp 80" alone...

I greatly appreciate all your input and assistance and will load pictures of the final product upon completion.

Hopefully this thing will be as jam up as I'm expecting...

ZT

I'll look forward to the pics...smile.gif...congrats on the setup!...I'm a definitive fan myself and own the 8060-st setup...want to hear what you think once your setup...smile.gif...congrats again on the home theater...smile.gif....JAM ON!

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #39 of 39 Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Good to hear! You're gonna love it!

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page