Do diamond domes sound different than beryllium domes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not been a big fan of metal used in cones and domes. Metal domes are getting better, but I could not listen to even a beryllium dome for long without fatigue. To me the sound is still hard and clinical. Are diamond domes any different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

Are diamond domes any different?
Not really. They do give the seller something to talk about in advertising to justify a higher price. As to the sound of different materials, they do sound very different...if you hit them with a stick. In the only valid way of testing them, with your eyes closed so that your judgement isn't influenced by what you see, it's nearly impossible to tell the material used. Whatever the material is some will sound good, some won't, as it's not so much what you make it out of that matters, it's how you make it.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have yet to listen to a metal dome I could actually enjoy, be they employed by B&W, Vandersteen, or whoever. They are impressive, but I find them anti-musical. Listening to a speaker with a beryllium dome and a metal cone woofer was like looking at an X-ray of the music. Sure, there was allot of detail, but did it sound like music? Not really.

B&W and ADS use to make some very good plastic domes, and there are many good fabric dome tweeters by Scanspeak and others. I just find the sound of hard domes to be,...hard.
post #4 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yeah, silk domes are the only tweeters I can listen to for an extended period of time...

Except I've never heard the ring radiator tweeters longer than a couple of songs... I think they might not be so fatiguing.

Metal domes, I hate more and more, even expensive ones, almost as bad as horns.
post #5 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How about a horn loaded metal dome. UGH! smile.gif
post #6 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:

Are diamond domes any different?
Not really. They do give the seller something to talk about in advertising to justify a higher price. As to the sound of different materials, they do sound very different...if you hit them with a stick. In the only valid way of testing them, with your eyes closed so that your judgement isn't influenced by what you see, it's nearly impossible to tell the material used. Whatever the material is some will sound good, some won't, as it's not so much what you make it out of that matters, it's how you make it.

This, with a few exceptions. (Some older metal domes - I'm thinking the late 1980s/early 1990s MB Quart ones in particular - did have resonances that seemed to cause listening fatigue.)

There's an awful lot of listening with the eyes in this thread...

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
I think it has more to do with crossover design and the designers goal more than material type (soft dome silk, fabric vs hard metal, diamond ect) I've heard silk domes that sound very "ssss" and fatiquing and i've heard metal domes that sound the same. Although in both examples the crossovers was low quality parts and half designed and comprimised xovers. I've not had a chance to listen to a high end expensive metal dome system.

Blind tests really don't help much either. Mostly because a brighter speakers will sound nicer at first and may even be prefered over the laid back to neutral speaker. Only over time does the fatique set in. And that once prefered speaker now sounds horrible and unenjoyable.
post #8 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

This, with a few exceptions. (Some older metal domes - I'm thinking the late 1980s/early 1990s MB Quart ones in particular - did have resonances that seemed to cause listening fatigue.)

There's an awful lot of listening with the eyes in this thread...
+1. If there was a decided superiority or inferiority of some materials manufacturers would certainly be aware of it, and drivers would be made and chosen accordingly. I've heard both good and bad drivers made with just about every cone/diaphragm material there is, so I don't sweat the material, only the results.

post #9 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

+1. If there was a decided superiority or inferiority of some materials manufacturers would certainly be aware of it, and drivers would be made and chosen accordingly. I've heard both good and bad drivers made with just about every cone/diaphragm material there is, so I don't sweat the material, only the results.

I think it is more a matter of individual ear construction. We are all different and we all hear differently. I don't think inferior or superior fits this situation. Whatever pleases you is just fine. Some of us seem to be sensitive to metal domes for some reason.
post #10 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Absolute majority of metal twitters have strong resonance between 20 and 30 kHz. That can be a problem with vinyl and SACD sources which have some energy at that region. Ceramic twitters like diamond domes in B&W have little or no resonance.
post #11 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Absolute majority of metal twitters have strong resonance between 20 and 30 kHz.

Although that is correct, the absolute majority of humans cannot hear that range.

Quote:

That can be a problem with vinyl and SACD sources which have some energy at that region. Ceramic twitters like diamond domes in B&W have little or no resonance.

There's a big problem with statements like that. Few if any recording microphones went that high back in the days when vinyl records were the standard, not to mention tweeters.

Today there may be microphones that can record that high, I wouldn't know for certain. But I am certain that most people cannot hear that high despite what they may believe.
post #12 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

I think it is more a matter of individual ear construction. We are all different and we all hear differently. I don't think inferior or superior fits this situation. Whatever pleases you is just fine. Some of us seem to be sensitive to metal domes for some reason.

More likely it's that we all think differently and have different subconscious biases.

You probably heard a speaker or two that had harsh treble, saw that they had metal dome tweeters, and made a connection between the two - even though it may have been purely coincidental.

Then, once that connection was established in your mind, you heard a harshness in every speaker that you noticed had a metal dome tweeter. You heard that harshness because your subconscious was telling you that it would be there, because you saw that the speaker had a metal dome tweeter.

It happens to everybody in some way or another.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #13 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

How about a horn loaded metal dome. UGH! smile.gif

A large proportion of all horn tweeters have had aluminum or titanium diaphragms for decades.

http://www.usspeaker.com/replacement%20dia-1.htm finds a large number of both aluminum and titanium replacement domes, mostly for waveguide (horn) tweeters.

However, the high frequency extension of a horn tweeter is most strongly dependent on internal dimensions insd ide the driver unit - the spacing between the diaphragm and the back plate as well as the design of the phasing plug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_driver
post #14 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I find Vandersteen speakers to be as MUSICAL as you can get. Experts say so year after year. They are repeatedly singled out as some of the very best speakers at every hi-fi show all over the world; over and over and over.

Calling Vandersteen speakers anti-musical is like calling the Pope an atheist. It is absolutely ridiculous.

I suspect you may have heard some Vandersteen speakers hooked up to some harsh-sounding electronics, and don't have enough experience to realize THAT was what was harsh-sounding. Garbage IN; garbage OUT.

I have had Vandersteen 3A speakers for 20 years, and with my Audio Research preamp and Bryston amplifier the sound is to die for. If you could listen to that system, you would change your opinion very quickly.

Furthermore, the whole idea of classifying tweeters by only the physical type of the diaphragm and attributing a particular sound to them shows a gross ignorance of the whole subject. There are good-sounding tweeters of almost every type, and bad ones too. It is the implementation that counts. The details of how they are engineered, and the type of other materials used are a large part of the sound quality.

There are speakers with beryllium-dome tweeters that you would LOVE the sound of. Of course I would have to lie to you about what it was, and then it would be fun to see your reaction when you find out...lol.

Quote:

I have yet to listen to a metal dome I could actually enjoy, be they employed by B&W, Vandersteen, or whoever. They are impressive, but I find them anti-musical. Listening to a speaker with a beryllium dome and a metal cone woofer was like looking at an X-ray of the music. Sure, there was allot of detail, but did it sound like music? Not really.

B&W and ADS use to make some very good plastic domes, and there are many good fabric dome tweeters by Scanspeak and others. I just find the sound of hard domes to be,...hard.
post #15 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
This might be a problem for your dog, but I'll bet YOU can't hear anything above 18 Khz.

Very few male humans can, even when they are under 16 years old, and certainly not when they are over 30.

If you go to an audiologist and have your hearing tested, I'll bet you will be shocked by what you can't hear.

The fact of the matter is that 99% of what is on any recording is below 5 Khz, and any discussion of anything that happens above 12 Khz is largely irrelevant.

Quote:

Absolute majority of metal twitters have strong resonance between 20 and 30 kHz. That can be a problem with vinyl and SACD sources which have some energy at that region. Ceramic twitters like diamond domes in B&W have little or no resonance.
post #16 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There may be other forces at work than resonances in the commonly measurable sense of the word.

I am kind of interested in the Boston Acoustics M 350. I have not heard it yet, but it has a well respected soft tweeter and no metal cones. It was designed by two Europeans, not Boston Acoustics.

http://www.bostona.eu/en/loudspeakers_floorstanding_m350.php

It's fairly cheap as well. Has anyone heard this speaker?

http://www.bostona.eu/en/loudspeakers_floorstanding_m350.php

"I find Vandersteen speakers to be as MUSICAL as you can get."

Vandersteen does not like metal cones in the midrange and coats their aluminum tweeters with ceramic in their higher end models. Their top model uses balsa wood tweeters.

PS I predict at some point in this century diamond tweeters will be dirt cheap and common.
post #17 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Vinyl has energy in the 20k plus region?

Don't think so.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #18 of 38 Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post

Few if any recording microphones went that high back in the days when vinyl records were the standard, not to mention tweeters.
Nor today either. This is the most favored mic ever made:
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Neumann/U-47

But the mic most heard on recordings? That would be the Shure SM-57.

post #19 of 38 Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Don't think so.

Pops and clicks have a lot of ultrsonic energy. Also it seems thatfor many people presense or absense of ultasonc energycangs perception of sond in normal freqency range. Also do not discount non-linear effects in diaphragm and interaction between regular and ultrasonic sound, which produces non-harmonic distortions.
post #20 of 38 Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

Quote:

Don't think so.

Pops and clicks have a lot of ultrasonic energy.

Not unless the cartridge is ringing up a storm in that frequency region which is not uncommon, especially with MC cartridges.

The defects themselves are usually large compared to the highest audio frequencies recorded on the disc -as a microscope will show.

Everything that happens in the cartridge has to get past the RIAA 12 dB/octave roll-off, anyway.

Besides this is getting a little strange - I want a system that exaggerates tics and pops as much as possible so I can get an alleged ultrasonic fix? ;-)
Quote:
Also it seems that for many people presense or absense of ultasonc energycangs perception of sond in normal freqency range. Also do not discount non-linear effects in diaphragm and interaction between regular and ultrasonic sound, which produces non-harmonic distortions.

Audiophile myth.

Please read this:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
post #21 of 38 Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Anybody remember quadraphonic records? If nothing else, proof that very HF information can be placed on a record, but really shouldn't be... smile.gif

There are many parameters of driver design, and cone material is just one. I am not sure whether the tweeter breaks up at 25 kHz or 60 kHz would influence my buying decision (actually, I am sure).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #22 of 38 Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of Neil Young, for quite a few years he refused to use digital tracking or mastering. He didn't like the extended frequency response, dynamic range and low THD of digital, and continued to do both his initial tracks and final masters on tape. In short, digital sounded 'too good'.

post #23 of 38 Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Liked: 34
I strongly suspect that if you were unaware of the tweeter material you were listening to, you'd be hard pressed to guess what it is.

Vandersteen has been mentioned a few times in this thread. ..I owned Vandersteen 3A sigs for many years and they were wonderful wonderful speakers. I didn't find them to be bright at all except of course when listening to bright music.

Because they were a bit ugly (look like coffins) I needed to replace them when I moved my system to our family/great room. My new speakers, Paradigm Signature S8 v2's feature a Beryllium tweeter and they sound just as smooth, natural, and non-fatiquing as my Vandersteens.

About all this bright talk..

What are you listening too that sounds so bright? ..And how lively is your listening room? ..Sometimes (and maybe most of the times) brightness is wrongly blamed on the speakers when in fact it's the room, or maybe your listening to music that is poorly recorded or is just inherently bright. Most people don't realize that REAL non-amplified instruments can begin to grate if you listen to them long enough or up close enough. Any speaker that NEVER sounds fatiguing no matter what you listening to, or how loud or how long is probably not very linear/accurate (ie., not a very good speaker). Personally, I prefer an accurate speaker that makes well recorded music sound its best, then make use of my treble/bass controls whenever I encounter a song that strikes me as bit too bright or bass-heavy. ..Yes, this may amount to mangling the original wave form, but who cares? ..If the original wave form is grating why not do this rather than not listen to the song?
post #24 of 38 Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

..Yes, this may amount to mangling the original wave form, but who cares?
The only thing it 'mangles' is the mangling of the original wave form done by the producer when the track was mixed, done so to suit his taste. If your taste differs there's no law to say that you can't alter it to suit. That's why restaurants put out salt and pepper dispensers. cool.gif

post #25 of 38 Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM

Interesting thread, I have a pristine pair of Yamaha NS-1000 Ebony speakers with a Yamaha M-80 power amp driving them. Yammys are criticized for sounding harsh but in reality, they are very accurate and will reveal a poor recording, conversely they are stunning with a clean recording much like the Vandersteen. Personal hearing characteristics and room acoustics play a huge role in getting your system to sound "right". Most of us spend way too many $$$$$ on equipment when it the room we should be concentrating on as well. I have a very nice setup and I think it sounds good to me, but my room isn't ideal for what I'd like to accomplish. Every one that has heard my system said it sounds very clear, and some of the ladies have said it is a touch crisp. So, Bin Jovi sounds good but grating on my ears and Mel Torme seems to be standing in my room singing. All this HiFi madness keeps us interested and the love of tweaking everything is part of the lunacy of this hobby. I personally love it. My .02 cents worth. Cheers! smile.gif
post #26 of 38 Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Look at the response curve for this very nice Scanspeak 1” textile dome tweeter.

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d3004-662000.pdf

Now look at the curve for Scanspeak’s 1” beryllium dome tweeter.

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d2908-714000.pdf

Which would you say is flatter? The beryllium tweeter costs over $600 each.
post #27 of 38 Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
But the use of different material isn't about getting a better FR.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #28 of 38 Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

But the use of different material isn't about getting a better FR.

It's about being able to charge $600 more per speaker for diamond dome tweeters, isn't it?
post #29 of 38 Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

It's about being able to charge $600 more per speaker for diamond dome tweeters, isn't it?
Yep. And if you look at how they're made the diamonds are literally a dust coating. There are better ways to make domes out of carbon, it's just a matter of time before they appear.

post #30 of 38 Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are hard domes even the preferred way to go?

Look at these two tweeters.

SILK DOME

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=275-070

RING RADIATOR

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1016

Polk is making cheap tweeters out of silk and plastic, which I have not heard yet, but which sounds like a great idea to me. They should last a long time,…longer than silk alone or fabric alone.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page