Infinity Primus or JBL ES? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all,
I have been thinking about buying a complete speaker system for when I move back to the States and the Infinity Primus Series and JBL ES series look really nice.

What do you guys think of those?

I can't audition them because neither are available in Japan where I currently live.
I'd just really like to hear your options on these two series...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledkaji View Post

Hello all,
I have been thinking about buying a complete speaker system for when I move back to the States and the Infinity Primus Series and JBL ES series look really nice.

What do you guys think of those?

I can't audition them because neither are available in Japan where I currently live.
I'd just really like to hear your options on these two series...

The following technical reveiw seems kinda lukewarm:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/jbl-es-series-home-theater-speaker-system?page=0,2

To put these test results into perspective, consider this test of a competitive system:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-bench-klipsch-rf-83-home-theater-speaker-system
post #3 of 18 Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Great response - but it doesn't compare the two that the OP asked about - Infinity Primus and JBL ES Series. - anyone?

I didn't find a comparable review for Primus frmo the Sound & Vision Magazine.

However the results did seem lackluster for JBL - but a whole 7.1 system (2 "4-way" floor standing, 12" subwoofer, and 4 surround speakers -ES20) can be had for $1400 on Amazon right now.

Is that good performance for $1400 or can I do much better for the price? Infinity costs about the same. Are they better than JBL for the price? Or just ditch them both?

I mean, the Klipsch are not even in the same price range. I think you'd be looking at much more for a 7.1 system, so this isn't exactly apples to apples is it?

-- So for ~$1500, which is better of the Primus and ES series? I think this would be good to know as both these are prevalent speakers on Amazon.com

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #4 of 18 Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Coming home in a few weeks (finally!) and I started inking about speakers again. Any new developments? Recommendations?
post #5 of 18 Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledkaji View Post
Coming home in a few weeks (finally!) and I started inking about speakers again. Any new developments? Recommendations?
IMO the speakers you are talking about are overpriced and don't stand up well to their competition; not good value for your dollar.

I don't think you are likely to be very satisfied with anything from Infinity, Energy, Klipsch, or JBL in that price range.

The critical reviews from experienced professionals are anything from lukewarm to very critical of most of those products.

Brands that consistently get get top reviews are Wharfedale, Focal, PSB, Monitor Audio, and KEF.

I would advise you to look at those brands and find some speakers that fit your budget and preferences.

I think you will much better satisfied with the result.

If you want specific recommendations, you need to state how many speakers you want, whether you want floor-standing or bookshelf front speakers, and the budget parameters.

If there are budget limitations, I suggest that you stick with a 5.1 system to start with and go for the best quality within that concept that you can afford.

Last edited by commsysman; 06-29-2014 at 10:04 AM.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 477
I think you should wait until you get back in the States to test for yourself. That's the best way to decide what speakers are best for you.

Where are you located in US? Do you have a Fry's nearby? I know they carry both speaker lines.

Also, what's your total budget?

Afro GT
post #7 of 18 Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
It would be nice to know your max budget

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 18 Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I think you should wait until you get back in the States to test for yourself. That's the best way to decide what speakers are best for you.

Where are you located in US? Do you have a Fry's nearby? I know they carry both speaker lines.

Also, what's your total budget?
I would go with afrogt.
you have not said what they were for (TV room or music) or how much budgeted funds you have.
if you own a ipod or smart phone. load it with your own music.
by connecting up your ipod or phone to their set up.
you should know what the instruments sound like, if not find a musician to take with you.
most places will let you listen to your music on their equipment and will even help you by
changing speakers.
do not use any equalization or tone adjustments during your testing, leave settings flat.
try this; Setting Up Your Home Theater 101
there are test tones that you can download and burn to cd or install on your ipod. I like the realtraps for low bass testing.
your ears will have to listen to what you buy, not mine but your choice.
good luck.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-30-2014, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

I don't have an exact budget, but I was hoping to keep it under $1000 US. I could go over that, but I don't want to break the bank...

I have an old Polk subwoofer that's pretty awesome, but that's all I have in the states. I figure that it would be pretty good to use though...

The speakers are for a home theater that I will set up in my basement. Pretty much movies only. The basement is huge and unfinished and I doubt that we will ever have it finished. I don't have the dimensions, but I'll be using the narrowest space which I imagine must be at least 10-15 meters from front to back with a very, very wide open space to the left. I don't know what kind of acoustics that will cause... All large brick walls, wooden ceiling, exposed wires and i-beams. The ceiling is about 3 meters high, I think. I could try to post some pictures that I took last time I was home... Would that help?

I don't need speakers that will rock the house through the unfinished ceiling, but I want speakers that sound good for movies and will be ok for the space that I described.

I was actually thinking about getting 4 floor standing Infinity P363 for fronts and surrounds since they are only $99 when on sale. Is that a good idea or are bookshelf surrounds better? Also, the Infinity PC351 center speaker looks nice. I'm sure they will be better than anything I've had before, but this is just my current idea...

I'm totally up to suggestions!
post #10 of 18 Old 06-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
IMO the speakers you are talking about are overpriced and don't stand up well to their competition; not good value for your dollar.

I don't think you are likely to be very satisfied with anything from Infinity, Energy, Klipsch, or JBL in that price range.

The critical reviews from experienced professionals are anything from lukewarm to very critical of most of those products.
Hasn't the the Infinity Primus series the op has mentioned received generally positive reviews from the audio press? I could very well be wrong but I thought it has.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Yep, the Infinity Primus speakers, the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers have both received positive reviews as good entry level/budget speakers. And when they're on sale it is an incredible bargain.

Which one is better? That's up to the listener.

Afro GT
post #12 of 18 Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofelves View Post
Hasn't the the Infinity Primus series the op has mentioned received generally positive reviews from the audio press? I could very well be wrong but I thought it has.
There are some pretty favorable reviews of several speakers in the Primus line on the Stereophile web site.

Some are older models, but there's no indication that the newer versions of them are any worse. There are some reports that the differences are mostly cosmetic.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-01-2014, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Think they'd be ok in the space that I described?
post #14 of 18 Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Yea, Commysman is wrong about the Infinity. You may not like the speaker and if not, you shouldn't buy it at any price...but at current pricing, NO ONE says the Infintiy Primus is overpriced!

And MANY people just love the Primus lines! I have heard them side by side with the Pioneer AJ and IMHO, they Primus line is a step up from the AJ series Pioneers.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #15 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Ok! The infinity speakers are still top of my list. I'll see if I can find a place in Michigan to listen to them before I buy though...

One more crazy question... About Dolby Atmos!

I was going to get a 7.1 Onkyo receiver anyways and it looks like they support Atmos on some models... Since my ceiling is unfinished, I suppose I could put two speakers up there since I was only going to run 5.1 anyways...

So, Would Infinity bookshelf speakers work ok for Atmos? Would either of the two models available be preferable? Do those ever go on sale?
post #16 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
COPY:The critical reviews from experienced professionals are anything from lukewarm to very critical of most of those products. Brands that consistently get get top reviews are Wharfedale, Focal, PSB, Monitor Audio, and KEF.[IMG]http://*******/Prn9DS[/IMG]
post #17 of 18 Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Check out buying direct from polk on ebay. I think its the best deal unless you go with used which I personally think is the way to go.

You can buy polk rti8 for 400, rti6 for 200ish, or rti4 for slightly less, the CSI3 or 5 center for 200-300, and add a sub of your choice from amazon.

That is a solid setup.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-15-2014, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was going to get a 7.1 Onkyo receiver anyways and it looks like they support Atmos on some models... Since my ceiling is unfinished, I suppose I could put two speakers up there since I was only going to run 5.1 anyways...

So, Would Infinity bookshelf speakers work ok for Atmos? Would either of the two models available be preferable? Do those ever go on sale?
Sorry! Had to quote myself... Just wanted to know if you guys think bookshelf speakers in my unfinished ceiling would work for Atmos?

Thanks for all of the comments so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page