question on second sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5.1 system with fronts Biamp. I am thinking of a second sub. I have a polk psw111 sub. I am looking at getting a better sub for my second sub.
Question is should I get the same exact sub for the seond sub, or should I get a better sub for the second?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I also am thinking of getting an amp. I can only afford 1. Either the amp or the second sub. I have an onkyo reciver puts out 135 watts at 8 ohms per channel.
I have polk rti12 fronts, csi5 center and rti6 pair of surround.
Please let me know which direcvtion I should go.
Thank you
post #3 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM

I think you want to have matching subs if you go with two. In your case I would get two HSU STF-2 subs for $658 or something similar.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Get as nice a sub as you can afford and later get a second sub. Use the Polk sub in a nearfield setup for now and sell it down the road. This will give you a little extra cash for getting identical subs or 2 subs very closely matched in their performance. A good sub will make a bigger impact than an amplifier at this point. The thing of using identical subs is over hyped imo.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul112233 View Post

I forgot to mention that I also am thinking of getting an amp. I can only afford 1. Either the amp or the second sub. I have an onkyo reciver puts out 135 watts at 8 ohms per channel.
I have polk rti12 fronts, csi5 center and rti6 pair of surround.
Please let me know which direcvtion I should go.
Thank you

Hi Paul, you do have your self a minor dilemma here.

Polk subs are not the best IMO unless you get into the DSW pro series. So a new more powerful sub would definitely do your set up some serious justice.

On the other hand, the RTi12's and CSi5 cry out for some serious power, and it sounds like your AVR is close to the same one I have; the 807. It does put out 135wpc but thats only with 2 channels driven, once you start adding more channels, it drops in power per channel and to be honest with you, bi-amping off the AVR is more advertising hype than actual function.

My set up is similar to yours, in addition to the AVR, I run RTiA9's, CSiA6 and FXiA6's. I was amping my A9's with 200wpc, when I upped the power to 300wpc, I got better performance from my mains for 2ch music.

So, my advice to you is; see if you can get someone with an amp to bring over to your place to demo and see what kind of difference it makes on your set up and then you'll know if you should first get an amp or upgrade your sub.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page