3k to buy L/C/R - Used with dual Subs - Floor or Bookshelf - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have seen this issue talked about... I read through allot of it. If I get the jist of it all. In a room my size 22Lx14Wx8ft tal...

It would be better to get bookshelfs and have them supported by my subs than to get towers. Sound clarity and mid tones will be clearer with the bookshelf (Given I purchse the correct ones) vs the floor standers.

Right or Wrong?

If correct, what speakers should I be listening to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

I have seen this issue talked about... I read through allot of it. If I get the jist of it all. In a room my size 22Lx14Wx8ft tal...

It would be better to get bookshelfs and have them supported by my subs than to get towers. Sound clarity and mid tones will be clearer with the bookshelf (Given I purchse the correct ones) vs the floor standers.

Right or Wrong?

If correct, what speakers should I be listening to?

Yes, I think monitors + dual subs would be better than towers alone (no subs).

If you don't mind not having grilles, look at the KEF LS50 monitors x 3.

Or get the TAD 2201 monitors (has grilles) for $1691/pr delivered, so 4 speakers = $3382 from Music Direct.

Ask about the return policy on all speakers you buy just in case.

http://www.pioneer.my/data/my/imgCont/Cnt_907/TAD2011.pdf
post #3 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Your mains should be placed optimally according to symmetry, imaging and coverage. However, your subs should be placed according to optimal acoustic interface with the room. This is the huge benefit to a bass managed, subwoofer supported system. What's best for the LCRs, isn't necessarily best for the subs.

Whether your main LCRs are bookshelf style, or floorstanders, it doesn't matter. If they're properly set-up you'll be well served.

What's your room set-up like, ie, seating, cabinets, furniture, listening distance, etc?
Do you have measuring capability for sub placement?

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since this is for HT ... I will get a sub either way. In fact, I may get two subs either way depending on the price of the speakers. VTF-3 MK4 DualDrive Package

The room is 22' long 14' wide with 8 ft ceilings. There is a hall and an fairly open kitchen to one side (right) and a glass sliding door on the other side of the room (left). Couch is about 12' from the wall and 10' from the back wall.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I may be missing something here, but it seems to me that you would be better off buying one sub and spending any money you save by not getting the second sub on getting better quality L/C/R speakers. You can always go back and get a second sub later if you need one, and you will not have to upgrade your L/C/R speakers. I have a single SVS Ultra sub in my home theater and have never felt the need to get a second sub.

Just a thought.

Cal68

Cal68
post #6 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

I may be missing something here, but it seems to me that you would be better off buying one sub and spending any money you save by not getting the second sub on getting better quality L/C/R speakers. You can always go back and get a second sub later if you need one, and you will not have to upgrade your L/C/R speakers. I have a single SVS Ultra sub in my home theater and have never felt the need to get a second sub.

Just a thought.

Cal68

Well your sub costs what 2 of the HSUs would cost the OP.

Plus I think $3K is quite a lot for a front 3 and the OP should not have any trouble getting enough speaker for that amount. A pair of Versus Grand towers and matching center for example. Or some used or discounted Klipsch RF 7IIs and RC64 center would do nicely.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Two subs is always a good idea, and you are in the budget ballpark where two good ones is feasible. What is nice about two subs is it allows you to raise the crossover without a subwoofer localization penalty depending on the subs' placement, and this really negates the need for tower speakers, so yes, go for bookshelf speakers. Is the $3k for the front three speakers alone or for the front three with dual subs?
post #8 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Two subs is always a good idea, and you are in the budget ballpark where two good ones is feasible. What is nice about two subs is it allows you to raise the crossover without a subwoofer localization penalty depending on the subs' placement, and this really negates the need for tower speakers, so yes, go for bookshelf speakers. Is the $3k for the front three speakers alone or for the front three with dual subs?

+1

Two subs is an outstanding idea. The path to bass bliss includes a multiple sub approach. (and as much bass damping as one can aesthetically facilitate)

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #9 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Is the 3K for just the LCR trio?

Primarily HT or music listening? Or a mix of both?

Prefer average/medium listening volume or is loud volume a priority?
post #10 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My total budget is 5.5k.

So the 3k was just for L/R/C. Mix of HT and Music but at a 75/25 ratio. I am sure it will be close to 50/50 until the speaker amazingness wears off and I stop listening to CD's I have not busted out in 10 years.)

I was guessing 2kish for subs and 500 for misc. Stands etc.

Surrounds are going to be taken from my old system until I can get good ones... Surrounds are going to be a whole discussion in itself. (Should I really match surrounds to my front sound stage? Direct speakers or true surrounds? Etc etc...we can tackle that later smile.gif )

My thoughts were to go with one quality sub..but too many people said if you have 2k to spend on subs its better to get two 1k subs (generally) than one 2k sub. SVS, HSU, PSA and Rythmik are the ones I am looking at. I drool at the Seatons though.

First choice was probably the Rythmik 15HP or the PSA XS30 but after beign convinced to go for two subs it seemed that the HSU would be best cost / performance wise... (Again a whole different thread there too smile.gif )

I am really liking this hobby even if my car (miles driven) and my wallet (already anticipating the hurt I am going to bring to it) is not.

Edited this because I forgot to add...thanks for the help!
post #11 of 12 Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Do you need a standard horizontal center speaker, or can you use a regular bookshelf speakers for the center? Some brands I would look at in that price range are KEF and Ascend Acoustics. One that has caught my eye recently is Pi Speakers, those would certainly be more dynamic than conventional speakers. I would love to give some of those a try.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Center speaker is extremely important to me but when I was looking at the Paradigm Stuido 20's I thought about going with 3 of them...

I will give Pi a look.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page