AVS Forum banner

Uber stingy HT setup, Need 5.1 for ~$300

644 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  crazyrob425 
#1 ·
I know this isn't the most exciting thread ever, and I know with this type of budget there's a lot I can't accomplish. However, I need something in my living room so I'm not stuck with TV sound, until I can foot the bill for something more. I'm not very well versed on all the ins and outs of AV, but I can follow pretty well.

I am purchasing a refurb Denon 1612 (only need 5.1) from accessories4less $200. Could care less about networking and airplay, etc, but I DO want Audyssey MultEQ. My "theater" is positioned on the right side of my basement (so left wall is very open space, front wall to back wall is ~18-20', ceilings are 9ft high. My house has traditional insulation as well as Poly-Spray foam, so it's very "tight".

I recently picked up the Energy Take 5 Classics & the Energy EW-100 Sub for $300.

I know that's a pretty good deal on the group, but I'm wondering if there's anything that would perhaps be more suitable. I have a couple weeks before I can return the setup to Sears.

As for the subwoofer, I can return it and get a $150 refund. As alternatives I've looked at the:

Pioneer SW-8 - $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117402

and the

Polk PSW10 - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

I'm aware that the Energy Take 5 classics are small enough that they won't give you the "full" sound on the lower mids, if I understand correctly, the higher crossover of the EW-100 (120kHz) might not be the best pairing with the Energy 5's.

If this were you, would you pair the Energy 5's with a sub or go with a different 5.0 setup? Keep in mind if I go with the Pioneer Sub, I would have $60-70 extra to spend on the 5.0

Thanks for any and all help. I know these budget-type threads can get old and annoying, so I really appreciate any feedback you're willing to offer.

See less See more
#2 ·
For $300 including subwoofer there really isn't much better than what you already have. The Energy subwoofer you have with the Takes will work perfectly. The Energy sub you currently have is better than your other two options

One possibility would be if you can keep your subwoofer or get the Pioneer subwoofer:

-2 pairs of Poineer SP-BS22-LRs , $180

- Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel , $80

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1457129/uber-stingy-ht-setup-need-5-1-for-300#post_22940989

For $300 including subwoofer there really isn't much better than what you already have. The Energy subwoofer you have with the Takes will work perfectly. The Energy sub you currently have is better than your other two options

One possibility would be if you can keep your subwoofer or get the Pioneer subwoofer:

+1

I think that would be the better choice.

However, if you do decide to stay with the Energy Takes, you should return them anyway. Monoprice is apparently now selling the Energy Take 5.1 set with their own label for $200 shipped after promo code INCENTIVE. Read the last week or so of the Energy Owners Thread starting here . Save a $100 and use it for something else.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1457129/uber-stingy-ht-setup-need-5-1-for-300#post_22940989

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1457129/uber-stingy-ht-setup-need-5-1-for-300#post_22941020

+1

I think that would be the better choice.

However, if you do decide to stay with the Energy Takes, you should return them anyway. Monoprice is apparently now selling the Energy Take 5.1 set with their own label for $200 shipped after promo code INCENTIVE. Read the last week or so of the Energy Owners Thread starting here . Save a $100 and use it for something else.

Thanks guys, I might have to order those right away before the price jumps back up. I have 20ish days to return the Energies, so that gives me some leeway.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Better than that, just get a pair of tower speakers. Get a pair of Infinity Primus p363 or Pioneer FS towers. Use a phantom center. This way you will at least get some bass. Or maybe a pair of heavy duty bookshelf speakers with decent bass, like some Behringer 3031p or some Hsu HB-1 mk2. Look on ebay or craigslist for a pair of tower speakers. Diluting $300 into anything other than a simple pair of speakers to too painful to think about.

#8 ·
That setup would be worlds better than anything else suggested here, and that is a good deal if it is in good shape, so if you can get it, I would urge you to do so. Maybe try to talk that guy down just a little if it is hard on your pocket book, but don't bargain too aggressively, that is already a good deal. Everything else recommended here would make movie and music watching tolerable, which is better than TV speakers, but a bunch of Infinity Alphas would make it music and movies a real pleasure, no joke. You can add a decent sub later if you really want to bring out that THX night at the movies feeling, which is what I would recommend. If and when you do, head on over to the subwoofer forum for recommendations on affordable but good subs.

#9 ·
Haha, I was afraid you'd say that...might have to chomp into my golfing budget!

Decisions, decisions.

I also was hoping to keep my speaker setup "above ground" for now, especially since these would be on the floor ~3-4 ft behind the couch. I could move the couch back, but we're watching a 55" LCD, and it would be a bit far for viewing.

Very much appreciate your feedback.

#10 ·
Well, if that guy will take $600 I may have to do that and get a sub later. As it stands, I don't have a "sub" with the late '90s BOSE Accoustimass system I'm using, that thing is almost non-existent.

Would the Denon 1612 be too severely outclassed for these?

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated on what I decide, in case you're interested.

#12 ·
Dude I wouldn't bother for $600, offer $400 cash if not then walk way. For $600 you are going to make sure he sets them up for you and gives you a demo. Think about having to move those speakers yourself. And the space they will eat up. Also your not buying new so no possibility of returning them

For $600 new here is what I would recommend:

-2x Pioneer SP-FS52 Towers , $250

-1x Pioneer SP-C22 Center , $80

-1 Pair Pioneer SP-BS22-LR , $80

- Bic F12 Subwoofer , $188

Another option would be Polks

- Pair of Polk Monitor 50's tower , $200

- Polk CS1 center , $80

- Polk Monitor 30's , $100

-Bic F12 subwoofer, $188

If you got a Best Buy near you, you can Demo the Poineers and the Polk TSi's (Sound virtually identical to the Monitors, just sold at a huge mark up)

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13  /t/1457129/uber-stingy-ht-setup-need-5-1-for-300#post_22942221

Great points, seriously reconsidering going after those speakers at all.

What about these woofers:
http://velodyne.com/vx-11.html

Very good choice if your goal is dual subwoofers for under $250. However, for the single sub price of the VX-11, you can do better.

#15 ·
Haha, my budget is quickly ballooning out of control. I've been getting advice from many different sources and trying to put it all together. thanks everyone for all of the good tips. I'll let you knoe what I eventually figure out.

I few notes. I'm leaning towards those dual subs b/c of the position of my setup in the room, dual-subs I think would give me a fuller bass experience.

Also, I'm leaning towards not having towers in the rear, I have small children that would knock them over, and higher couches that would muffle the sound (I'm assuming).

Anyways, thanks again for the help.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13  /t/1457129/uber-stingy-ht-setup-need-5-1-for-300#post_22942373

Haha, my budget is quickly ballooning out of control. I've been getting advice from many different sources and trying to put it all together. thanks everyone for all of the good tips. I'll let you knoe what I eventually figure out.

I few notes. I'm leaning towards those dual subs b/c of the position of my setup in the room, dual-subs I think would give me a fuller bass experience.

Also, I'm leaning towards not having towers in the rear, I have small children that would knock them over, and higher couches that would muffle the sound (I'm assuming).

Anyways, thanks again for the help.
You want dual subwoofers? How much is your budget for subwoofers alone. Cause one quality subwoofer can sound better two crappy subwoofers.

Best thing you can do is set a budget for yourself and we'll recommend the best set-up we can think of for your money.

FYI there is no shame in starting with small cheapo speakers and adding to your system as you go along.(I started with $450 total for 5.1 speaker set and 7.1 receiver). The next upgrade I am eyeing will run my 1,000 for new receiver and subwoofer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.