Need speakers for smallish 5.1 setup, overwhelmed by choices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my first home in November and I'm trying to finish my HT setup with new speakers. I have to admit I don't know much about good speakers which I guess is why I have put it off until the end. The room is smallish about 12 x 15 and my couch is up against the wall so I have to do 5.1. My inital thought was for in wall speakers, but after spending many hours reading this forum, it seems like their quality is not good, and thats what I'm going for quality over esthetics. I'm thinking now of getting floorstanding mains with a center channel on my mantle as long is its not too high as their isn't much room height-wise. The rear speakers, which I guess are the least important, I'm thinking ceiling mounted because of the tight space. My budget is flexible, but I'd like to be under $2k. I already have the receiver, it's a Denon AVR-2113CI. Any help greatly appreciated, TIA.

Hy(ness)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
It sounds like you may be better off just putting your money into two high-quality speakers.

If your couch is against the rear wall, you can't effectively use rear speakers, and it sounds like you might have to put the center speaker too high to work well.

If you can use a pair of floorstanding speakers, I recommend the PSB Image T6 speakers.

There are very few, if any, speakers that equal them at their $1300/pair price. They are simply excellent in every way.

If you do not want floorstanding speakers, then the Monitor Audio Silver RX-2 monitor speakers are excellent, for around $900/pair.

How is your TV mounted?

If you can use a stand, it can hold your gear and your center speaker. A PSB Image C5 would be good.

Mine is the Tech-Craft HBL60. Tech-Craft has many nice stands in sizes for all TVs and gear and they come in glass/steel or various wood furniture styles. Amazon carries a lot of them.

See the Tech-Craft website for the full range of types and sizes.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyness View Post

I'm thinking now of getting floorstanding mains with a center channel on my mantle as long is its not too high as their isn't much room height-wise. The rear speakers, which I guess are the least important, I'm thinking ceiling mounted because of the tight space. My budget is flexible, but I'd like to be under $2k.

For 2 grand you can build yourself a quality 5.1 setup. If you want towers for the front then perhaps the Premier Acoustics PA-6F might work. Add a PA-6C center and the PA-6B for surrounds. Another potential system would be the Arx A3, along with an A2b and A1b's.

To either of those you should add a potent subwoofer. A few nice options are the HSU VTF-15H, PowerSound Audio XS15 and the Rythmik FV15.

Choose one from column A and one from column B and you'll end up with some very nice sound in a room that size.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These suggestions are great guys. I'm going to see if I can find a place locally that has the all/any of the floorstanding speakers mentioned. Without listening to any yet, I'm leaning toward the PA-6F / PA-6C / VTF-15H combo, but they all seem to be very well regarded. The surrounds look great too, but they are too large for my space. I really need to get in ceiling surrounds. Any suggestions that will match the speakers mentioned?

Hy(ness)
post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 01:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Ascend Acoustics CMT series speakers for the front, then the HTM series for mounting in the rear.

Then a SVS PB12-NSD would be more than enough sub for that room. Here's a review: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:

These suggestions are great guys. I'm going to see if I can find a place locally that has the all/any of the floorstanding speakers mentioned.

I'm afraid you won't find any place like that. All the suggestions thus far have been for ID (Internet Direct) companies, and as their name implies they only sell over the internet. They do have 30 day in-home trials though, so if you decide on something you can audition them in your own HT.

Quote:

Without listening to any yet, I'm leaning toward the PA-6F / PA-6C / VTF-15H combo, but they all seem to be very well regarded. The surrounds look great too, but they are too large for my space. I really need to get in ceiling surrounds. Any suggestions that will match the speakers mentioned?

The surrounds play a minor role, so they don't necessarily have to be from the same company. However, in the case of Premier Acoustic they do make the PA-6.5C and the PA-8C.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Speakers