Ceiling surround speakers (L & R) used as a center speaker, crazy or used? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So For several years I've have an Infinity Modulus II 5.1 system and recently I added two 6" Polk ceiling speakers over the sofa making it a 7.1. I then upgraded the receiver to an Onkyo 717 and its Audyssey 2EQ detected an ERROR with the center speaker. I checked it and the tweeter on the center is gone. I emailed Infinity/Harman about a replacement tweeter, but no answer yet.

So for now I connected both ceiling speakers to the CENTER OUT on the receiver and all the other spakers to include the center (double through surround L/R) are connected as surround. I intend to fix the center speaker, but for now I'm liking this set up! Voices are nice and clear since they a over the sofa and the surround effect sounds good. Is this a format used by others? Am I missing a lot in having it hooked this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You should not use two speakers for the center because of comb filtering/timing mismatches. You will also suffer timbre mismatch using different voiced speakers. You would be better off (more accurate reproduction) using phantom center until your center is repaired/replaced.

Also what does this mean? "...all the other spakers to include the center (double through surround L/R) are connected as surround....
post #3 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Also what does this mean? "...all the other spakers to include the center (double through surround L/R) are connected as surround....

What I meant was the F/R, F/L, SBack/R, SBack/L are connected normally and the damaged center speaker is connect to both S/L and S/R out on the receiver. Sounds good, but if I get the center speaker to work properly for me to hear voices clearly I'll go back to regular connections.

I was just wondering if anyone else used the top or surround speakers for voice/center. Or if there's an audio setting that basically does that.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy View Post

...damaged center speaker is connect to both S/L and S/R out on the receiver....
You are going to damage your amp too. Never hook two outs to one in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy View Post

... if anyone else used the top or surround speakers for voice/center....

Another problem I failed to mention is disconnect. You need to have the center located as close as possible to the TV and as close to vertically aligned with the mains. Having the center (voices) coming from above the TV and mains fools your brain's processing and upsets proper imaging.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

You are going to damage your amp too. Never hook two outs to one in.
Another problem I failed to mention is disconnect. You need to have the center located as close as possible to the TV and as close to vertically aligned with the mains. Having the center (voices) coming from above the TV and mains fools your brain's processing and upsets proper imaging.

Connecting one speaker to two outs on the receiver can be damaging for the receiver? Done - The center speaker is connected to only one of the surround outs.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I called Harman (Infinity) and the tweeters for the Modulus MS-1 are still being sold so I was able to order three of them for $55 w/ shipping. I'll install the replacements and hopefully that will make it so that I can use the center speaker as its meant to be used. Although having voices come from the ceiling surround speakers has been nice when watching movies.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page