Ceiling Speakers or Shelf Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So heres my situation. I live in an apartment now and even before then when I was in a house, I had a simple Onkyo HTIB system, 7.1. So I had my front speakers, center channel, rear surrounds and rear speakers. Everything sounded, ehh fine. It's tough in an apartment when the couch is against the back wall, it makes it a bit tricky to get that rear sound/surround sound, but it worked fine.

Anyway, I'm moving back into a house and plan to have a similar issue. Couch against the back wall, TV about 15' in front of me. OKAY. So its easy enough to duplicate my existing setup with my audio, but... i have a nice open attic and I have some extra ceiling speakers from my old office.

Soo my choice is... do I use the ceiling speakers and thus get rid of hte speaker stands/etc... and make it a bit more CLEAN looking. Or do I keep the speaker stands/speakers.

Now, I obviously understand that ceiling mounted speakers don't do as well, I get that. I do want some nice audio but it is what it is.

However, my the front speakers I have (I have 3 of these style) are angled at a 15 degree angle, so it will basically direct the audio a bit towards me. I have no problem using a center channel speaker (regular style under the TV) as my TV stand has a nice placement for one...

but should I install the ceiling mounted speakers? If so, should i do a center channel or use my existing center channel... also what should I do about my rears if using ceiling speakers. Do I do a typical 5.1 system or can I actually do 7.1 with ceiling speakers, and if so, how would I lay out the back speakers... keeping in mind my couch is against the wall...

Let me know, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dont do in ceiling if you can avoid it. most people who do prefer the clean look rather than performance. But do what YOU prefer. This is my opinion. i have a small room too and made bookshelves work for my surrounds. Went to IKEA and threw together 4 shelves capable of supporting 30lbs+ of speakers for 60 bucks all together!

8 of these:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/76696009/

4 of these:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70103622/

and toggles bolts from home cheapo.

Result: (4 rear channels)

Yes im aware im missing a door, and yes the other door needs to be painted and i have no ceiling, but at least i have my priorities straight.

My $.02
GL

KO
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page