Speaker advice on a budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to replace my current speakers which are bad... My budget is about 200 per speaker. The parts that I plan to keep between old and new setup is the average receiver (yamaha rx-v473) and the sub (Polk sw505).

The speakers have to be bookshelf with the possibility of being wall mounted. The wall mount is preferred but not a need. Biggest need is speakers that can handle 150 watts rms and a low end of 80hz.... My current sub will go higher than 80 but like to keep it around there with a high of 120hz limit...

Had in mind definitive tech 450s.... 3 pairs... So even using one for a center channel. Price is easily in budget. And would have one speaker left over to do whatever with.

Feedback or other options would be appreciated... Not a huge fan of Polk but not closed off to the idea either.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Operator View Post

On your budget, ive been looking into the same when i move out. Hands down the BIC Acoustech line are the best bang for you buck. They are also beautiful to look at especially for a family room- they have a piano type finish being 5 layers of rubbed black lacquer. They sound amazing for the price, and the build quality is fantastic. They are also very efficient at being able to produce high volumes with minimal power. Honestly, go with these. Buy for acoustic sound design and choose "name your price". buy all together for best deal.

I've had polks and bostons. My friends have klipsch, def tech, and bose(poop). All agree BIC are best value.

I own several BIC including there formula series and DV series. Best bang for you buck hands down. But the Acoustech line are even better, and are beautifully designed to complement a nice home.

oh also they have an 8 year warranty.

My recommendations:

Front LR: (2) PL 89
Center: (1) PL 28
Surrounds- (4) PL 66
Subs: (2) PL-200

Look here:
http://bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=1&type=1&spkrID=88

Buy here:
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1530&sc=32
Buy from acoustic sound design and choose "name your price". buy all together for best deal

i just posted this, but follow. best value
post #3 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 953
fwiw,just another suggestion
pair of kef Q300 's for lr $470 at accessories4less
Q200c $330
pair of boston acoustics a25's for rears $160

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #4 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Going to get out and see if I can locate these speakers locally to narrow things down. Had plans to do it this week but type a flu has decided to alter the plans. Guess that leaves more time for research.

post #5 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

With the pl89 the biggest issue is them being towers..... Have young children who can move mountains (it seems) when they are not paying attention.... Towers without a doubt would make me the happiest but they would probably last 3 months at max before they met no good end.

Current setup has TV wall mounted with all components across the room in a cabinet. Speakers are in the four corners of the room with center channel above the TV and the sub had to be moved from close to the TV to in a corner due to a freak child roll into the front of it.... (I mean seriously I couldn't pull this stuff of if I tried and they are doing it on accident)

post #6 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rans0m00 View Post

With the pl89 the biggest issue is them being towers..... Have young children who can move mountains (it seems) when they are not paying attention.... Towers without a doubt would make me the happiest but they would probably last 3 months at max before they met no good end.

Current setup has TV wall mounted with all components across the room in a cabinet. Speakers are in the four corners of the room with center channel above the TV and the sub had to be moved from close to the TV to in a corner due to a freak child roll into the front of it.... (I mean seriously I couldn't pull this stuff of if I tried and they are doing it on accident)

I wouldn't let that discourage you, we entertain a large family often, even weekly, and the kids (Up to 8 at once!) LOVE to hang in my theater room. I just set strict guidlines that they are not to horse around and if they do they are banned from the room. lol. But i like others to enjoy it as much s i do. So i allow it.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
You can get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers from Music Direct for $349.

I think they would be perfect for your setup. They are rated to go down to 48 hz, but 55 or so is probably more realistic.

They have received several very positive reviews and are quite nice for the price.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Operator View Post

I wouldn't let that discourage you, we entertain a large family often, even weekly, and the kids (Up to 8 at once!) LOVE to hang in my theater room. I just set strict guidlines that they are not to horse around and if they do they are banned from the room. lol. But i like others to enjoy it as much s i do. So i allow it.

This would be banning them from my living room... not so possible in my house. Would love a dedicated theater room but so far the best I have been able to get is a room with one entrance and four walls of about equal size. The "living room" has been claimed by the wife and it has imo nothing useful in it unless you are serving drinks and talking. All video entertainment happens in my living room. I am going to try to stick with the bookshelf speakers.... not ideal but a 1k budget is not too huge and later if I find the bookshelves just are not cutting it I can buy some towers.

I noticed no one agreed the definitive tech 450s would make a good setup. Can I ask why? I have not heard them in person yet but frequency range fits and so does the power handling. I know it comes down to how they sound so I can't throw a judgement one way or another yet.

After I get over being sick I am for sure going to have to run around to hear which sound right to me but Oklahoma is lacking in.... ummm... what is the word I am looking for.... oh yes... options.

The Wharfedales are very pretty but I doubt I will find anywhere to listen to them but I will check around. The price is also nice.... current setup I could get away with just replacing front l/c/r. Just keep the take 5 classics for surrounds till something better comes along.

Just to make things a little more complicated these speakers need to be able to handle music/movies/gaming. Mostly movies get played with gaming coming in second. So perfect detail is not a must (and in my budget probably impossible) but next time morgan freeman talks or a concussive grenade goes off I would really like the mid to lows coming from the direction they are supposed to be sounding from and not like the current setup.... deep voice... you hear it behind you but the lower end can easily be located from the sub (set at 120hz).
post #9 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Any other suggestions before I start locally browsing?

post #10 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Ascend Acousitcs CBM-170 SE for left/right, CMT-340 SE center, and the either the CBMs for the rear or the HTMs.

post #11 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Ascend Acousitcs CBM-170 SE for left/right, CMT-340 SE center, and the either the CBMs for the rear or the HTMs.

Agreed!! This set up makes for an awesome sounding system Especially for the dollars paid. I have had a couple different set ups using 340s and 170s, and enjoyed both of them very much. I have had a pair of 170s in my house for close to 10 years, in one set up or another...Considering the company they keep, they play a lot better then the money paid...

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
post #12 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Will add those to the hunting list. This is the first time I have put any planning into a system so this will be a drawn out process of hopefully good stuff.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page