Looking for TV/Blu-Ray Sound - Can't go 5.1 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 65 Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Okay, I found the crossover setting on my receiver. The Denon book recommends setting 80, but for small speakers to go higher. I put it at 90, it was preset at 40. Any issues with this do you think, or should I roll it back to 80?

Sounds MUCH better playing stereo music through my cable box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Okay, I found the crossover setting on my receiver. The Denon book recommends setting 80, but for small speakers to go higher. I put it at 90, it was preset at 40. Any issues with this do you think, or should I roll it back to 80?

Sounds MUCH better playing stereo music through my cable box.

Your Cambridge speakers should have no problem crossing over at 80hz if you want try setting it lower. Whatever sounds best to you smile.gif

post #63 of 65 Old 02-27-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Your Cambridge speakers should have no problem crossing over at 80hz if you want try setting it lower. Whatever sounds best to you smile.gif

They sound fantastic at 80. What would I get out of everything by setting it even lower? Would I get more bass going to the sub and less going to the Cambridges? I apologize for the newbie question, but I've never played around with crossover stuff w/ any of my gear.
post #64 of 65 Old 02-27-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 644
I believe that Cambridge only rates the S50 down to 80hz, so probably best not to go lower than that. The S30s are rated down to 55hz and so could probably work OK with a 60hz crossover. Basically, set it lower if it sounds better to you. A lot of people go for 80hz because (a) that passes off much of the low frequency work from the receiver to the sub amplifier (takes a little load off the receiver) and (b) no higher than 80hz because the sounds coming from the sub are more likely to become localizable. Still, whatever sounds best to you.

But don't to below the crossover settings that your receiver/Audyssey came up with initially. Below that, Audyssey won't set any filters for your speakers to improve the response.

post #65 of 65 Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Audyssey set up the crossover at 40 !!! That's probably why I wasn't hearing anything for regular stereo sound. I haven't tried this setup yet with true 5.1 sound. So .... did I screw something up? By lower I'm guessing you're saying if Audyssey set my speakers at 40, don't try for 20. Right?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page