Present for my dad - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TVMAN1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm building a 5 channel home theater for my father for his birthday. I want it to be a surprise. My ears and his ears are totally different, so I can't use the whole "what's best for me" type thing. He's not very picky though. I want to spend at or below 3K for all 5 channels. He has a sub and a receiver and amp already. I was thinking Klipsch reference, since it's 90% movies / 10% music.

Any ideas? I hear Aperion and Swan are good too?

Thanks
TVMAN1991 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
How big is the room?

How loud does he listen?

Are there size (bookshelf vs tower) or aesthetic (i.e. what does Mom think) constraints?

Where are you located?

$3K is a decent budget, you will be able to get a very nice present smile.gif

rick240 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Member
 
Obsidians's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I like Paradigm stuff personally, and the Monitor series would be right in that price range. Could be worth a look, good value.
Obsidians is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TVMAN1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It's like 14x18

He listens at moderate volumes, when his friends come over he tends to listen to it a bit louder. Were not talking like 90+ dB levels here though.

Towers are fine, but they can't be too wide. I think like 8-9 inches width is the max we can do there. Mom doesn't mind lookwise.

How about the Deftech like 8040s with an 8040 center and surrounds?
TVMAN1991 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TVMAN1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Also, keep in mind I can get a Klipsch RF62-ii, RC62-ii, and RS52-ii setup for around $1200 from someone local who never opened them.
TVMAN1991 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,554
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

Also, keep in mind I can get a Klipsch RF62-ii, RC62-ii, and RS52-ii setup for around $1200 from someone local who never opened them.

New factory sealed, that is a deal.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I'd go three identical Mackie824's across the front, that puts you at $2100, enough for some small Klipsch RB (or equivalent) for surrounds.

Nowhere are performance speakers more competively priced than the small studio monitor market. These are outstanding, active (powered), contoured/EQ'd in time and freq domain speakers, that would allow the rears to be powered by the receiver. This way there's plenty of power for accurate transients, which is very important for playback of both music and movies.

Oftentimes receivers or other amps can easily be starved when attempting to deliver the big effects across multiple channels. That's a lesser concern really, these are just ideally matched, eliminating other variables, with the onboard power, crossover, EQ etc.

These are 8.75" powered two ways, that would be ideal. This way you avoid the center channel silliness using often poorly designed, poorly executed sideways speakers, when the ideal is three identical speakers across the front. The center is absolutely vital in movies. These are availed to us at ~$699, a great value. I believe Ethan Winer utilizes the smaller 6.5" version, as LCR's across the front.

Best of luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,765
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

How about the Deftech like 8040s with an 8040 center and surrounds?

Just keep in mind the 8040s are not a substitute for buying a good sub. A good Internet direct sub from HSU, Outlaw Audio, Power Sound Audio, SVS, or Rythmik is worth getting in your budget range (if not 2).

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #9 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TVMAN1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes, I know it's some deal right!?

I understand about the sub. He has a sub, so that's no problem. Def Tech vs Klipsch, which one?
TVMAN1991 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,765
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

I understand about the sub. He has a sub, so that's no problem.

What sub does he have?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #11 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,388
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I'd go three identical Mackie824's across the front, that puts you at $2100, enough for some small Klipsch RB (or equivalent) for surrounds.

Nowhere are performance speakers more competively priced than the small studio monitor market. These are outstanding, active (powered), contoured/EQ'd in time and freq domain speakers, that would allow the rears to be powered by the receiver. This way there's plenty of power for accurate transients, which is very important for playback of both music and movies.

Oftentimes receivers or other amps can easily be starved when attempting to deliver the big effects across multiple channels. That's a lesser concern really, these are just ideally matched, eliminating other variables, with the onboard power, crossover, EQ etc.

These are 8.75" powered two ways, that would be ideal. This way you avoid the center channel silliness using often poorly designed, poorly executed sideways speakers, when the ideal is three identical speakers across the front. The center is absolutely vital in movies. These are availed to us at ~$699, a great value. I believe Ethan Winer utilizes the smaller 6.5" version, as LCR's across the front.

If you want the closest equivalents to HR824s at a reasonable price and good sound, please check out the Behringer B2031A.
arnyk is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:27 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

If you want the closest equivalents to HR824s at a reasonable price and good sound, please check out the Behringer B2031A.

smile.gif

Arny, I'm a fan of those, ... having recommended them yesterday.

I think the Mackies are a bit more suitable for typical distances found in HT.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TVMAN1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

What sub does he have?

Paradigm Sub 15
TVMAN1991 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,765
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

Paradigm Sub 15

I guess he doesn't need anything new. I'm surprised he doesn't have great speakers to match smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #15 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,474
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

Also, keep in mind I can get a Klipsch RF62-ii, RC62-ii, and RS52-ii setup for around $1200 from someone local who never opened them.

I would go with the Klipsch or HTD Level Three
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,388
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

I'm building a 5 channel home theater for my father for his birthday. I want it to be a surprise. My ears and his ears are totally different, so I can't use the whole "what's best for me" type thing. He's not very picky though. I want to spend at or below 3K for all 5 channels. He has a sub and a receiver and amp already. I was thinking Klipsch reference, since it's 90% movies / 10% music.

Any ideas? I hear Aperion and Swan are good too?

Thanks

Which receiver and amp?
arnyk is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TVMAN1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
He has an MRX anthem and an old acurus I got him. 200x3 for the fronts.
TVMAN1991 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off