Running speaker wire help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey, just starting my home theater and have a few questions.

I am adding a home theater to an existing finished basement, so it's making it a bit harder to run the wire like I wanted.

First right under my screen is a power outlet, so there is an electrical line running down the wall, just off center of my screen behind the wall. I am going to buy 12 gauge cl2 speaker wire, and am wondering how close can the speaker wire run to the electrical wire. Because the center channel of the speaker would be just to the left of the stud that the electrical wire is held. It'll be maybe 7-8 inches from the wire for a few feet and then 15 inches for 5 feet or so. Then when it comes through the top of the frame another electrical wire will cross it at a 90 degree angle.

Do I need to worry about interference?

If u look in the picture, the speaker wire will come up right there by the electrical.

u2yqe7uq.jpg

Then it'll run above all the joists and ill staple it to every other joist there.
uma5y8az.jpg

See any issues with either of this situations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 65
You should be OK as long as you aren't running parallel to the power conduit. I would still try to be at least 6 inches away from the power conduit when crossing over/under it.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I don't think I can be 6 inches away. I can't run the wires horizontal, b/c that'd require taking the drywall down to drill holes in the studs. Going vertical, I can only come through that board that already has the electric running over it. Right behind that 2x4 the electrical is running, is cement block.

Is there anything I can buy to shield the cable from the electrical for a few inches? Like a sleeve I can run over the speaker wire, or a piece of metal between the two?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo0485 View Post

Unfortunately I don't think I can be 6 inches away. I can't run the wires horizontal, b/c that'd require taking the drywall down to drill holes in the studs. Going vertical, I can only come through that board that already has the electric running over it. Right behind that 2x4 the electrical is running, is cement block.

Is there anything I can buy to shield the cable from the electrical for a few inches? Like a sleeve I can run over the speaker wire, or a piece of metal between the two?

Does anyone know if monoprices specific "in wall" speaker wire would help him? I would imagine crossing 120v is quite common. I know the extra casing is designed for code requirements not necessarily interference.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I have never really worried about interference much myself, but why not run the monoprice wire through metal casing where it matters?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo0485 View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2

That's what i was planning on buying, 200 ft of it

Nice. What I was hoping someone could weigh in on was if this would help.

The extra sheathing is for insulation for code purposes, not shielding for interference purposes. What I am speculating is that interference should be subject to resistance and the extra sheathing is resistance. I just don't know real world what it all boils down to.

If there a way to DIY shield that mono price wire, maybe a grounded wrap of some type? I don't know how that would impact the code compliance though.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

You should be OK as long as you aren't running parallel to the power conduit. I would still try to be at least 6 inches away from the power conduit when crossing over/under it.
Speaker cables are quite immune to RFI and EMI, so you don't need to go to great lengths to separate speaker cables from AC lines.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

I have never really worried about interference much myself, but why not run the monoprice wire through metal casing where it matters?

Good idea, hadn't thought of that yet. I should just need a few feet of that, and I'll run that just where it's going to intersect the electrical lines.