Originally Posted by Elihawk
First, IMHO, your budget is out of wack! You are proposing to spend almost as much on a rec as speakers! What is your room size? Movies, music, games, etc,
my suggested budget, give or take a few dollars.
Rec: 300 dollars. You can get a good 5.1 reciever with room correction, plenty of power and enought bells/whistles to do what you want. Do you need Airpolay? 3D? 7.1?
Sub: 300 dollars. The Klipsch 12 inch sub has been on sale about every other week at New Egg for 299.00, shipped! Spend alittle more and get a great sub from SVS or HSU...
Speakers: 800 dollars At this price, there is a VERY large selection. HSU sells a 5.1 package that could take care of both your speakers and sub and would cost around 999.00 dollars
Again, just a ton of speaker available in this price range...Def tech..Cambridge Audio, Polk monitors, Pionneer, infinity Primus, to name a few
Thanks for reaching out and your valuable time!
Yeah, I'd suspected that my budget was 'out of wack'
The ONLY reason I'd entertained spending that much on receiver:speakers is fear of receiver becoming obsolete.
Several years ago, before HDMI and full video switching
, I bought a Sony 5.1 125w (x5) receiver and NOW it's useless (I THINK) as far as using for modern HDMI switching 5.1/7.1
So now, I'm concerned with 1080p up-conversion and 4k future compatibility... Hence the higher budget allotment for receiver than speakers..
-My room size is approx: 16' viewing distance x 12' room width
and is a living room with carpeted floors.
- Couch will likely be up against far wall (opposite tv), so rear speakers will need to be smallish bookshelf or cube style.
- Room is offset w hallway (tv side) and entryway (opposite with couch on it) so actual 'centerable front sound stage' is reduced by the offset areas kinda
- May need rear speakers that are like onmipolar or the like, due to a recliner and loveseat that are not centered with main seating position, which is aforementioned centered couch (?)
- Will be playing a lot of games (xbox 360's and soon xbox 720)
- Plan to watch movies as well as comcast hd cable tv.
- Have a Panasonic 55" ST50 3D Plasma
- Would like receiver to have AT LEAST 6 HDMI inputs (unless hdmi switch selector can be used without screwing up ARC, ect?) Don't want to run short on HDMI inputs
? 1080p up conversion for SD Comcast Cable TV (even work for that?)
? Future proofing 4k up conversion/pass thru ** Worth the extra expense of higher end receiver taking from speaker budget????
- On screen GUI ect via HDMI would also be nice
Like the idea of Mirage omnipolar speaker package, BUT
included subs are only 65w and omni polar probably not best option for center channel!
Would like fairly deep strong sub as well as fronts and center channel....
> may create a new dedicated 'what should I buy thread', but would still love feedback here.
Still looking for review sources as per op...