Women telling men what speakers to buy are you nuts? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Metal Gay is fraudn.

He's restricted to a small corner in his attic where his so called "girl friend" lets him listen to a transistor radio with ear buds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 11
Well said, I have a friend who has a large room and he can't buy towers because his wife doesn't like the way they look. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Liked: 14
I have a wife who brings home more bacon than I do, 2 teenage girls, a live-in au pair and a female dog, who my wife adores. I am dead last in the pecking order. I am a third world citizen in my own home, even though I attempt to survive. Last year, I gained more control of my man cave space after many years of the space being a playroom. However, my wife needed to ok the expenditures. She didn't care about my selection of the Ascend Sierra towers, or projection system, just the expenses. Even my dog weighs in on my speakers. She howls when there's too much bass playing. I then turn down the sub. That's life.

The good news is my wife is on vacation this weekend with one of my daughters. Don't tell her that I plan to crank the sub in my man cave when playing The Dark Knight Rises.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Don't feed the trolls rolleyes.gif
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I haven't worked for four yrs

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Don't feed the trolls rolleyes.gif
Says the guy who only has one line to say which added nothing.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Says the guy who only has one line to say which added nothing.

"Fall on deaf ears" is a hackneyed phrase meaning to be totally ignored or disreguarded. As the cliche implies the person concerned does not wish to hear what is being said.

Very apropo in a speaker forum.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown View Post

I agree with the OP. Y'all wusses need to grow a pair.
biggrin.gif
The family room where my HT is, is my domain. The living room is my wife's domain.

End of story.

/\ This. I buy what I want as far as audio and firearms, and I have a perfectly happy (and intimate) marriage. If you find the right woman, you don't need to sacrifice in order to get laid. smile.gif
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGcollector View Post

If you find the right woman, you don't need to sacrifice in order to get laid. smile.gif
What's that got to do with it? Don't you know the two words you say when you want a woman to stop having sex with you? I do. cool.gif
If you really want to be happy, don't get married. Find a woman you don't like and buy her a house.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

What's that got to do with it?
Everything, apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Don't you know the two words you say when you want a woman to stop having sex with you? I do. cool.gif

Lol, my wife must have tuned out for a minute there. tongue.gif
Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
"A man in love is incomplete until he is married...then he's finished." ~ Zsa Zsa Gabor

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Liked: 10
]But she just doesn't squeal with excitement like I do when I get a new toy. She will however smile that I'm smiling and happy. At the same time though, she helps to keep my dreams in line and helps me make rational desicions. Because I can easily drain my savings on new gear every few months.

That is bang on, she talked me out of getting a second mortage for this nautilus.jpg 16k .jpg file

Yes it is a shared space, the whole house is. The main living room has a simple 2.1 system with speakers that have style points, which was important for me, she would have caved in for Halbreth, but I wanted something slightly cool looking.

Yes it is my right to hang out in the living room and listen to music. But how am I supposed to do that with her constant clattering in the kitchen, or yakking on the phone for hours on end? Enter the man-cave, an essential part of the home, where we can get away from all that noise, and just chill and listen to some tunes. Do really care about the colour of the walls, etc? Not really. Infact I left the car shopping to her, cause as far as I am concerned if it is not a Bently or a MacLaren, its just a car to get you to work and back, do not care

The funny this, when I start talking about upgrades, something not sounding quite right, or whatever latest audiophilitis malady I have been afflicted with. She says things like. "Oh Gawd, when are you going to be happy, this entire constant pi$$ing around, you are always fiddling with something or the other, YOUR HT set up sounds great.

And when her friends come over for movie night, I am banished to the main floor, cause frankly chances are its a chick flick....I have heard her on the phone.."Hey wanna come over and watch a flick on MY kick-a$$ HT? Her friends think SHE has a great HT :Dset-up.

It’s all good, relationships are give and take. Metelguy has a definite point, one that I can see, but by the grace of God will never experience.

I do not ask for permission either, but as a courtisy to the love of my life, I do tell her about my latest crush. Right now it is a 5 channel amp from Butler Audio, which I explained would mean getting new speakers, and a new processor, cause frankly its all about the 50% on speakers, 25% on the amp, and 25% on the processor. It is a scientific ratio, and I cannot do anything about it...and there is absolutely no wiggle room concerning the ratio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nautilus.jpg (15.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I don't consult my wife when buying HT gear. I just tell her "I'm planning to get this" at some point, usually months before I get it, to prepare her. That way, when it shows up, she's like "oh, you got it. God it's ugly" and that's usually the end of it. We got into a fight about speaker placement once, but after I told her she has 8 other rooms in the house to decorate exactly how she wants, and I only have the one I care about AND explained to her some of the science/physics behind proper speaker placement, she folded. Hopefully the issue is settled and we won't go through that again when we move next time.

I totally get the idea of a man-cave. It's a place in the house where you play/watch/do what you want with no distractions and hopefully few interruptions. That's simply not possible with a normal living room setup where the wife wants to entertain and the kids are always wanting to watch or play something. A man-cave relieves the pressure of having to share the general population living spaces. I would love to have a man-cave where I could watch what I want, when I want, as loud as I want (the main problem my wife and I have at the moment is that she doesn't like watching programming material very loud and she can't stand horror, so I compromise by turning down the volume when she's around and waiting till she's not around to watch horror. If Ihad a man-cave, I could retire to that to watch The Walking Dead and would do so very loudly, without disturbing my wife, so that is a win-win situation)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...