Women telling men what speakers to buy are you nuts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am just wondering, have all the men on this site turned to little girls? I see post after post now about how they can’t buy the speakers they want, cause the wife or gf thinks they are too big. Or the tv is so large it takes up the whole room they will say. Don’t any of you have the b a l l s to stand up to your women and put up what you want to? Its like the men on here have turned in to little boys and have to ask mom for permission to do anything in their own house. This is not directed at anyone in particular but it’s a horrible trend I am noticing here. Its like this whole man cave, what a horrible idea, why should the guy have to hide away for the stuff he likes and wants to do. Now its one thing if they want to get away from there woman, but another if he has been relegated their cause of her. Am I the only one who thinks this?
samsung84 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Are you married or single?

Maybe its called being considerate? And these men want some peaceful strife in the home.

The neanderthal days are long gone when you can say "this is how its gonna be and that's final!"..

Have you seen this commercial?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4CyF5BbqE&noredirect=1

Afro GT
post #3 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

No I am not single. And I just went through a big home theater and I was going to be dammed if i was going to be told how big of a tv I was going to have. Or anything else speakers or what not. Its what I love and its my passion. So why would I grab the ankles and let her have what she wants. Most girls don't care about electronics. If women can have 900 paris of shoes or 8000 clothes and makeup things, then why would mend bawk at having what they wont. Its the total chickafacation of men. Its like most of you have lost your balls.
post #4 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Wow, what an interesting topic! And its never been brought up before! rolleyes.gif

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #5 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Wow, what an interesting topic! And its never been brought up before! rolleyes.gif

lol.

Some times you have to find the middle grounds or find one that just doesn't care. THere is only so much most guys can do if they have a family.

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #6 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 233
It's all about establishing your domains early in the relationship. My domains are home theater, cars, and anything related to building/fixing things. She knows not to interfere too much in those areas...
samsung84 likes this.
post #7 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
some of us actually want to get lucky sometime.

Before a marriage, the Man's domain is EVERYTHING. After the marriage, the domain is exactly HALF.

Happy Wife, happy life! tongue.gif
post #8 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

It's all about establishing your domains early in the relationship. My domains are home theater, cars, and anything related to building/fixing things. She knows not to interfere too much in those areas...
AMEN!!!!!
samsung84 likes this.
post #9 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

So your saying it has been , where, I would like to see it.
post #10 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Its like men these days, forgot how to be men. And for the guy who said some of you want to get lucky, women want a guy who stands up for himself, not a pushover. So how can one get luck if they are brabbing the ankles all the time. Goodness. I miss the days when men were men.
post #11 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I'm actually quite lucky, my wife let's me get just about anything I want for the (living room based) HT within budget (I manage the budget wink.gif ).

But, I certainly understand how some might want to be considerate to their wives. I'm very considerate to mine every single day and certainly don't consider myself any less of a man for it. Quite the opposite actually.

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #12 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM

Liked: 10
I totally agree with the OP. I love when I read posts saying something like "the wife gave total reign to the basement to use as my man cave but she prefers the speakers not be too large". Basically they are saying their wives didn't really give them the basement since at the end of the day its her rules that matter. If some guys are okay with that there is not really a problem if they are happily married but at least keep it to the wives and not girlfriends who don't even live with you dictate anything. At least the wives earned a say. I am married with kids and I totally get keeping the peace and compromise but if she ends up getting all she wants its only fair that I get what I want as well assuming all is well financially. To me compromise is you get/do this and I can get/do that not the significant other gets/does anything and there is a chance I can get/do anything. There is no excuse for the latter IMO, just some people feeling the need to control everything.
post #13 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I'm actually quite lucky, my wife let's me get just about anything I want for the (living room based) HT within budget (I manage the budget wink.gif ).

But, I certainly understand how some might want to be considerate to their wives. I'm very considerate to mine every single day and certainly don't consider myself any less of a man for it. Quite the opposite actually.

You just proved my point by saying "my wife LETS me" that is what I am talking about, you have to get permission as an adult from someone who is not your mother.
post #14 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rics17 View Post

I totally agree with the OP. I love when I read posts saying something like "the wife gave total reign to the basement to use as my man cave but she prefers the speakers not be too large". Basically they are saying their wives didn't really give them the basement since at the end of the day its her rules that matter. I am married with kids and I totally get keeping the peace and compromise but if she ends up getting all she wants its only fair that I get what I want as well assuming all is well financially. To me compromise is you get/do this and I can get/do that not the significant other gets/does anything and there is a chance I can get/do anything. There is no excuse for the latter IMO, just some people feeling the need to control everything.
BANG ON 100% Correct!!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
if your wife works and you do too, pretty sure she at least has 50% weigh in on what you spend since ya know she contributes too.

and if you want to keep getting some. you'll do as she says. We always make decisions together, never separate.

I also don't spend money on stupid crap like my friends do so my wife really could care less what I do to begin with in reason when it comes to my gaming/av habits. Not like I'm blowing all that money at the bar. I just blow it on toys. tongue.gif

post #16 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM

Toys are fun!!!!!
post #17 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's called the feminist movement. It's causing many other problems in male and female relationships and marriages other then men not being allowed to buy huge speakers without going through hell. By the way, my speakers and subs are huge.
post #18 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

So how can one get luck if they are brabbing the ankles all the time.

aaahh yes, the age-old question.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #19 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM

My solution.... I did NOT marry an American woman:) From MY experience, American woman in general want to exercise power and control as if they were men; and fall within Freud's "penis envy" category when it is convenient for them, of course. For all other instances, they want to be wined and dined, their doors opened for them, etc... In Short, they want to be treated like women at all times, but act like men when it is convenient for them. Since this is a public forum, I am posting MY opinion; while some may or may not agree with it, this is my take on the topic:)

PS: For those of you that DID marry an American woman, and they do NOT act this way, you are very lucky and should be thankful that you made a good sound decision when selecting your spouse:)
samsung84 likes this.
post #20 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
My friend allowesd his wife to not only pick them, but ssshe placed them too. The center over the ssliding door to the deck, and the tv in the opp. corner. I won't visit him anymore.
Browninggold likes this.
post #21 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM

Liked: 38
A happy marriage is a reasonable compromise that works for both. In my case, she can have the whole main level of the house. Decorate the way she wants, select the colors of the walls, flooring, furniture, etc. I don't care - I agreed to this.

I get the finshed basement or traditional; "man cave". I get to decorate it, select the colors, furnsihing, etc and also and most important, the HT-HIFI system. She has no say down in the cave whatsover - not even Christmas knickknacks are allowed down here during the Holidays unless she gets my permission.

For those guys who do not have the good fortune of having a man cave, then I suggest you insist on one room of your house, apartment, whatever be yours. Set up your system in that one room the way you want and give her the rest. Men are like dogs and we need a place to call our own, even if we are mated to the pack. If your woman does not agree to this more than fair compromise, then you got a problem man! It may be time to become a lone wolf.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #22 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

My solution.... I did NOT marry an American woman:) From MY experience, American woman in general want to exercise power and control as if they were men; and fall within Freud's "penis envy" category when it is convenient for them, of course. For all other instances, they want to be wined and dined, their doors open for them, etc... In Short, they want to be treated like women at all times, but act like men when it is convenient for them. Since this is a public forum, I am posting MY opinion; while some may or may not agree with it, this is my take on the topic:)

PS: For those of you that DID marry an American woman, and they do NOT act this way, you are very lucky and should be thankful that you made a good sound decision when selecting your spouse:)

+1. Does your wife have any single sisters or friends from her country?
post #23 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

+1. Does your wife have any single sisters or friends from her country?

LOL. All sisters are taken and most friends as well...
post #24 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for checking.smile.gif
post #25 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

some of us actually want to get lucky sometime.

Before a marriage, the Man's domain is EVERYTHING. After the marriage, the domain is exactly HALF.

Happy Wife, happy life! tongue.gif
what are you smoking? Haven't you ever heard the old adage?

"What's mine is her's and what's her's is her's!"

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #26 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

A happy marriage is a reasonable compromise that works for both. In my case, she can have the whole main level of the house. Decorate the way she wants, select the colors of the walls, flooring, furniture, etc. I don't care - I agreed to this.

I get the finshed basement or traditional; "man cave". I get to decorate it, select the colors, furnsihing, etc and also and most important, the HT-HIFI system. She has no say down in the cave whatsover - not even Christmas knickknacks are allowed down here during the Holidays unless she gets my permission.

exactly my arrangement.

...and you should see the glass subway tiles, and little round glass tiles she's picked out for our upcoming bathroom re-do. and the tub... and floor tiles (ceramic, but look like wood)... she hasn't picked out a vanity yet, but I don't care. She did say I could pick out a toilet, but I told her she could have whatever she wants. She deserves it, and then some..

In the end, I really don't care what it looks like. I really don't. I DO care that she likes it. I have also been informed that the kitchen is after that, and then a new deck...

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #27 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
True of most things the truth lies between the two extremes. You're partner should not rule you, but there place isn't it in the kitchen either. If you got a good relationship compromise isn't that bad. My wife is giving input in the design downstairs but I explain I have to do X this is why, she's cool with it sometimes she wants y and I listen to her reasoning and if its reasonable then we can usually find something that works.

In a dedicated HT you can sacrifice a lot for HIFI, but in a living room that has several uses, you have to balance it all. I would never put towers in my living room it's a place for hanging out, not Visio/adiophilia.
post #28 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

For those guys who do not have the good fortune of having a man cave, then I suggest you insist on one room of your house, apartment, whatever be yours. Set up your system in that one room the way you want and give her the rest. Men are like dogs and we need a place to call our own, even if we are mated to the pack. If your woman does not agree to this more than fair compromise, then you got a problem man! It may be time to become a lone wolf.

I'm sorry but this is utterly pathetic. She basically gets the house while you have to retreat underground to the dungeon like some sort of sub-human? Sounds like the compromise is skewed in her favor. "I don't care if I have to suffer as long as she lets me have that little bit!" That's what this essentially means.
And only a room for those that don't have this "glamorous" man cave? How is this a "more than fair comprimise?!" What about the rest of the damn house? Oh right, it belongs to feudal lord whose servants live outside in a cottage.
I don't understand how guys rationalize settling for something like this. Must be out of desperation to get some so they become pacifists and submissive.
post #29 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM

Liked: 11
I'm pretty much married but do whatever I want. I'm never told what I can and can't buy. When I got my speakers that are almost 5 feet tall, she said they were rediculous. She has a say in everything, the only difference is I make the final decisions (even if that means compromising wink.gif). She has to have "stuff" too smile.gif

Xbox Live- RumRiverKiller
HT Room- Samsung 550 64" Plasma, Tivo XL, Marantz SR-14 EX , BP3000TLs, CLR3000, BP2002 sides, Logitech 700
Music Room- Samsung 650 46" LCD, Tivo, Pioneer VSX-1120K , Canton GLE 409s, small cheap sub, Logitech 650
Garage- Kenwood VR606, Original Large Avents
post #30 of 73 Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleatusCat View Post

I'm pretty much married but do whatever I want. I'm never told what I can and can't buy. When I got my speakers that are almost 5 feet tall, she said they were rediculous. She has a say in everything, the only difference is I make the final decisions (even if that means compromising wink.gif). She has to have "stuff" too smile.gif
What speakers did you get that were that tall?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page