Too much power for tweeter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dstr212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of KLIPSCH KF-26 speakers that are bi-amped to 2 Emotiva XPA-3s, my question is with that tweeter in particular running on its own crossover to the amp, am I risking blowing the tweeter with too much power or will the crossover be able to handle that? The Emotivas output 200w per channel.
dstr212 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest U.S.A.
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You aren't gaining a thing with what you have done. You're really not bi amping power to separate parts of the speaker. To accomplish what you think you have done you need to remove the crossovers from inside the speaker. Then you need to use external crossovers all while controlling the gain supplied from each amp channel. This is complicated and not recommended. It's a huge engineering experiment and very expensive. To answer your first question about your tweeter. If you where indeed using a single external crossover with your tweeter and put 200w to it the tweeter would blow.

Your Klipsch speakers are very efficient and the best thing you can do is don't mess with any bi wiring or bi amping gimicks. Doing so will not have any proven scientific audio improvements. The 200w provided by one XPA-3 is already not needed for you speakers.
Secret Squirrel is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dstr212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

You aren't gaining a thing with what you have done. You're really not bi amping power to separate parts of the speaker. To accomplish what you think you have done you need to remove the crossovers from inside the speaker. Then you need to use external crossovers all while controlling the gain supplied from each amp channel. This is complicated and not recommended. It's a huge engineering experiment and very expensive. To answer your first question about your tweeter. If you where indeed using a single external crossover with your tweeter and put 200w to it the tweeter would blow.

Your Klipsch speakers are very efficient and the best thing you can do is don't mess with any bi wiring or bi amping gimicks. Doing so will not have any proven scientific audio improvements. The 200w provided by one XPA-3 is already not needed for you speakers.

So you are saying even with the jumper removed, the seperate amps I have feeding the speakers arent bi-amping like I think?
dstr212 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
GaryWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You are using the speaker x-overs and not external ones, it's hard to explain, but everything I've heard is it's an extremely complicated setup to have true bi-amping.
GaryWA is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Member
 
[DANGERDAN]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstr212 View Post

So you are saying even with the jumper removed, the seperate amps I have feeding the speakers arent bi-amping like I think?

You are bi-amping, but its passive and not active.

The two amps will be amplifying the entire frequency range given by the source and outputting it to the speaker, then the speaker filters those frequency's in the crossover for the appropriate dirver. Problem is that those frequency's is just wasted power as it is all thrown out in the end.
For eg. The low pass filter will have wasted power amplifying all frequency's roughly above 2khz, the high pass filter is wasted the same way with all frequency's below 2khz. (all depends on crossover but its just a example).
Active bi amp has that same filter but before the amplifier stage so to ensure the hi pass and low pass amplification only does its job in the required frequency range, thus the need to remove the internal crossover from the speaker.

People believe that doing a passive bi amp is not worth the trouble and i believe they are right but it still can improve on a single amplifier but there is a lot of wasted power to answer for and would easily be better to just buy a single more powerful amplifier.
[DANGERDAN] is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest U.S.A.
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstr212 View Post

So you are saying even with the jumper removed, the seperate amps I have feeding the speakers arent bi-amping like I think?
Yes. That is what I was saying.
Secret Squirrel is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dstr212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DANGERDAN] View Post

You are bi-amping, but its passive and not active.

The two amps will be amplifying the entire frequency range given by the source and outputting it to the speaker, then the speaker filters those frequency's in the crossover for the appropriate dirver. Problem is that those frequency's is just wasted power as it is all thrown out in the end.
For eg. The low pass filter will have wasted power amplifying all frequency's roughly above 2khz, the high pass filter is wasted the same way with all frequency's below 2khz. (all depends on crossover but its just a example).
Active bi amp has that same filter but before the amplifier stage so to ensure the hi pass and low pass amplification only does its job in the required frequency range, thus the need to remove the internal crossover from the speaker.

People believe that doing a passive bi amp is not worth the trouble and i believe they are right but it still can improve on a single amplifier but there is a lot of wasted power to answer for and would easily be better to just buy a single more powerful amplifier.

Ok makes sense.
dstr212 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off