Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Definitive?
Paradigm?
Ascend?
Aperion?

I may be in the market to replace my current setup. I'd be looking for a pair of towers, a center, and two rear surrounds. I've got a nice HSU Research sub that I love.

Thanks for the input guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
All good choices. The Ascend 340 package would put you considerably under budget. How large is your room?

I noticed this package is still on sale:
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-BP-8060ST-CS-8040HD-SR-8040BP/dp/B009P9XX60/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1360800315&sr=1-4&keywords=definitive+technology

Which is a really good deal. These are bipolar speakers and will need some room to breathe. I would recommend having at least 2-3' between the speakers and boundary walls.

Aperion speakers have a nice return policy (free in home trial).

I would also add Kef Q900 to the list along with PSB.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Go read the 2k shoot out thread that was just finished up. The SVS is over your budget but the EMP Tek were WELL reguarded. I have heard them...bang for your buck in this price range...

Go for the EMP Tek. You need to like the sound...the return policy is not as liberal as SVS or Aperion...but I really don't think you will be disappointed.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Not a terribly large room, but we plan on moving soon and buying a house with a much larger basement so I want speakers that I can "grow" into.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514 View Post

Definitive?
Paradigm?
Ascend?
Aperion?

I may be in the market to replace my current setup. I'd be looking for a pair of towers, a center, and two rear surrounds. I've got a nice HSU Research sub that I love.

Thanks for the input guys!

B&W ,Dynaudio, Linn, NHT, JBL, Thiel, Read some of to reviews get some opinions from the guys. I will say let your ears be the judge. I am not sure all these will have speakers in you budget or not. Some will say this or that is great and I am sure they are to there ears. Just don't rush listen to as many speakers. Good luck in you search. I am looking at B&W , ML, Difinitive I crossed out so far. But I want to listen to a few more.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Liked: 21
Just a thought.........

Go hear some setups at nearby stores.....you should be able to demo B&W, JBL, Paradigm, Infinity at decent stores, and maybe others like PSB, Dynaudio, Wharfedale, and Monitor Audio at high-end stores. Take notes on what features you like with each and make a priority list of characteristics ( appearance, soundstage, imaging, sound character). THEN read posts on this forum as well as others ( Home Theater Shack, Audioholics, etc.) about other ID or very hard to find speakers and pick one brand to seriously demo ( L/C/R or all 5) that meets most of your priorities..........

You probably cannot go wrong with any of the above mentioned brands, but nobody can tell you what you like.....gotta go listen......
post #7 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

Just a thought.........

Go hear some setups at nearby stores.....you should be able to demo B&W, JBL, Paradigm, Infinity at decent stores, and maybe others like PSB, Dynaudio, Wharfedale, and Monitor Audio at high-end stores. Take notes on what features you like with each and make a priority list of characteristics ( appearance, soundstage, imaging, sound character). THEN read posts on this forum as well as others ( Home Theater Shack, Audioholics, etc.) about other ID or very hard to find speakers and pick one brand to seriously demo ( L/C/R or all 5) that meets most of your priorities..........

You probably cannot go wrong with any of the above mentioned brands, but nobody can tell you what you like.....gotta go listen......

Or budget to send them back if you don't like them (which means buying online from a company that has a liberal return policy). I will say that speakers can sound very different depending on the room, so you might hear something you like in a treated high end audio room that sounds totally different in your room. But I do tend to agree that it makes sense to visit some stores with an open mind and your favorite mix CD to compare.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 953
fwiw,just another suggestion take a look at the focal chorus814v 's and the cc814v center $1150 at accessories4less and a pair of focal 705v's for rear$500 at musicdirect

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page