Arx A5 vs. HTD Level Three vs. EMP E55Ti tower shootout - Page 5 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #121 of 138 Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce View Post

Gus, have you posted your thoughts anywhere yet?

Sorry about that. I really don't have much to say, but I am very amazed with the sound coming from the PSA-XV15. Due to the WAF, I had to compromised for the location of the sub. I had to place the sub in a corner next to the couch, which kind of makes it look like an end table. I was somewhat concern, if this would be the best location to provide the best sound. However, I can't even tell where the bass is coming from. Even my wife love the XV15. We were watching The Butler last night, and there were a few scenes that had a lot of bass, and it made the couch tremble eek.gif

I was also told that the sealed subs would be best for music, but I listen to a lot of music, and the XV15 does a super job with music as well. The Arx + XV15 = Awesome sound.
kaiforce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 05-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

Hi All,

Given that one of our models was part of this test, please let me add some basic pointers for anyone doing a speaker evaluation. These tips are TAI essentials – I wouldn't develop a perspective on a product's sound without all of them in place myself – and I suspect most makers would agree.

First, only listen to one set of speakers at a time. In fact, only have one set in the room. Speakers are microphonic and any high level energy will acoustically modulate the undriven cones and inject currents back through the reactances in the crossovers. This energy will be released back through the cones and domes as distortion, even if at low levels.

Second, only try one set of speakers at a time because this way you can experiment with placement and room setup. The details of room interaction can and have filled books, but just know that to really get to know a speaker's sound, give it and your room your undivided attention. You'll get a more blanaced sound, you'll develop the system's real potential for soundstage and focus, and you'll remove all sorts of colorations. A wall of speakers will absolutely alter the sound of each speaker in it so in order to acoustically load a speaker the way it was intended to be loaded, only one set at a time please.

Third, In the affordable solid state amplifier class, we always recommend high current amplifiers. By this I mean an amplifier benefiting from much more design emphasis on its power supply and output stage than the cheaper units, thereby to deliver appreciably more instantaneous dynamic music power. (Look for up to twice the rated power into 4 ohms versus 8.) Such amplifiers almost invariably sound purer, cleaner, more dynamic, musically richer, and more at ease. (With the A5 being a 6 ohm speaker with 5 ohm minimums, this is probably all the more important to this test.)

Lastly, never, ever equalize. Use each speaker alone and unaltered in order to get a real sense of what it's capable of. Use ample amounts of break in, and if your aim is to evaluate the speaker rather than just setting it up and using it, don't introduce a subwoofer. Drive it well and drive it unaltered. Some will advocate for level setting, which is acceptable, but I personally never use even that. I want the personality of each component in the system to be unaltered.

Loudspeaker comparisons like these are a lot of hard work and I really feel for the enthusiast who has to pack them all back up. My hat is off to the OP. To make the task easier, try these tips as part of your regular evaluation routine.

Nice post!
post #123 of 138 Old 07-02-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rekindling a fairly simmered down discussion. Would anybody be able to advise whether a Yamaha v675 be sufficient to power any of these 3 gems?

Kudos to OP for taking this up and following through.
post #124 of 138 Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamekazi View Post
Rekindling a fairly simmered down discussion. Would anybody be able to advise whether a Yamaha v675 be sufficient to power any of these 3 gems?

Kudos to OP for taking this up and following through.
Kamek, I have I lower model Yamaha and the EMPtek e5ti speakers and they can get plenty loud without distortion! You should be fine driving any of the three speakers in this thread!
post #125 of 138 Old 07-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Kamek, I have I lower model Yamaha and the EMPtek e5ti speakers and they can get plenty loud without distortion! You should be fine driving any of the three speakers in this thread!
Many thanks for the quick response.
post #126 of 138 Old 01-03-2015, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I know these are in a different class, but does anyone have any idea how these speakers compare to the Infinity Primus P362? They have been really good to me, especially at their price, but I'm looking curiously at the "next step" up.
post #127 of 138 Old 01-04-2015, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I know these are in a different class, but does anyone have any idea how these speakers compare to the Infinity Primus P362? They have been really good to me, especially at their price, but I'm looking curiously at the "next step" up.
My parents have own a 5.1 set up with the Primus 362, and the bookshelves 162 I believe since 2001. Those speakers still sound like brand new, but my parents never really abuse them. I don't think you will gain much with the Arx movies wise, but if you listen to a lot of music like my wife, and I do you will notice that the Arx ribbon tweeter is a lot clearer, neutral and warm. The primus tweeter is a little bit on the bright side. Thankfully, it isn't as bright as the Polk Audio monitors or RTi / RTiA line. Those will make your ears bleed!
post #128 of 138 Old 01-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

I do listen to a lot of music, including modern rock, soundtrack, and classical. I'm primarily interested in the EMP E55Ti but I appreciate your feedback on the Arx as well.
post #129 of 138 Old 01-05-2015, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do listen to a lot of music, including modern rock, soundtrack, and classical. I'm primarily interested in the EMP E55Ti but I appreciate your feedback on the Arx as well.
EmpTek had an awesome sale during XMas! The sale still going for the R55Ti at $278 per tower.
post #130 of 138 Old 01-05-2015, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there anyone in chicago that would let me demo the ARX speakers? and would it work well with a bic f12 sub?
post #131 of 138 Old 01-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
EmpTek had an awesome sale during XMas! The sale still going for the R55Ti at $278 per tower.
I wish that were true, but the website has said $347 for the past week. I've decided to keep an eye out for B-stock.

From all the research I have done so far, it sounds like going from Infinity Primus to EMP Impressions would give me a more tame and natural high end, a more powerful midrange, and less (but tighter) bass. All of these differences would not be huge, but they would be noticeable.

Fortunately, I do have the smaller E5Ti in another room. I plan on dragging them down to the basement for comparison when I get the time. That should give me a decent idea of what to expect. I suspect the highs will be similar, the midrange and low end to be slightly less powerful, but overall sound to be at the same timbre. We shall see.

Last edited by Soulburner; 01-05-2015 at 09:50 AM.
post #132 of 138 Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wish that were true, but the website has said $347 for the past week. I've decided to keep an eye out for B-stock.

From all the research I have done so far, it sounds like going from Infinity Primus to EMP Impressions would give me a more tame and natural high end, a more powerful midrange, and less (but tighter) bass. All of these differences would not be huge, but they would be noticeable.

Fortunately, I do have the smaller E5Ti in another room. I plan on dragging them down to the basement for comparison when I get the time. That should give me a decent idea of what to expect. I suspect the highs will be similar, the midrange and low end to be slightly less powerful, but overall sound to be at the same timbre. We shall see.
I checked their website yesterday, and they still had the 45% off sale.
post #133 of 138 Old 01-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I checked their website yesterday, and they still had the 45% off sale.
http://emptek.com/r55ti.php

Page has shown $347/ea for the last week.
post #134 of 138 Old 01-06-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Send Brian and EMP/RBH an e-mail and ask. They're very quick and super easy to work with. Great service

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #135 of 138 Unread Today, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks to the OP for the review of these 3 speakers! I have to say I totally agree with the concept of NOT using any EQ, tone controls, or Dolby and Audyssey "schemes". I am not interested in how a speaker sounds after it has been EQ'd.
The same with reviewing any speaker with subwoofers. Subwoofers can easily upward mask differences in speakers.

I also must say that Jon Lane is correct, it is never a great idea to have more then one pair of speakers in a room for any review.
They can and often will interfere with each other, skewing the results of any review.

If one plans to buy any of these internet direct speakers, they had better choose wisely, because resale value on a pair of any of these will not be stellar. In fact, any audiophile who goes through many pairs of speakers should be aware that these internet direct brands will not be very easy to resell, at least locally, so you had best keep the boxes.
Or, be prepared to do an all out demo of them, when it does come time to sell.

With a name brand speaker, it is far easier to unload, when the upgrade bug hits, and it will, trust me.

My friend has a pair of Axiom Speakers,, and they are one of the more well known factory direct speaker brands. He is literally TRAPPED, and is unable to sell them locally here (he tossed the boxes long ago). He has offered them locally on Craigslist for less then 1/4 of their selling price. Though he keeps renewing his ad, he has had only 2 calls for them, in over 6 months

Conversely, I easily sold my old Vandersteen 2 CE's, and my Magnepans before that!

One of my audio buddies almost bought a pair of those Tektron Speakers called the Lore We have a mutual friend who has a pair. Guess what he bought instead ? He drover over to Orlando, listened to, then bougght a pair of Boston Acoustics a 360 speakers. They were B Stock, for only 249.00 each!

He likes them, and so do I. They are big and impressive looking, for the money, are laid back, warm rich and musical, and image quite well. Plus, they are getting good reviews from respectable review places, like this one here by Steve Gutten berg http://www.cnet.com/news/boston-acou...phile-speaker/

He bought them right (B Stock), they have the Boston Acoustics NAME, and with this great CNET Review, will be fairly easy to resell when the time comes

Actually, CNET and Steve Guttenburg also had great things to say about the smallest ABX Speaker that Jon Lane makes too!

Of all the 3 speakers in this review, it is the ABX that appeal the most, to me. Not only because of what Steve at CNET had to say about them, but because of the XBL Technology they are using, and from what Jon Lane had to say in this thread, and on his website.

I MIGHT buy a pair of them, but it will most certainly have to be a B Stock pair, to help offset the certain bath I will take when it comes time to resell them.

Last edited by Ka7niq; Today at 02:39 AM.
post #136 of 138 Unread Today, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Audioholics have done 3 GLOWING reviews of EMPtek speakers, and I think that review carries as much/more weigh than a CNET review. And I have never heard of anyone having trouble selling their EMP speakers, becuase the list price is so low!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #137 of 138 Unread Today, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I've decided to sell my Arx 5.0 set up for $750. It's in the classified section. I know I'm probably going to regret it, but the towers are taking too much room, and I'm probably going to go with in-wall or wall mount speakers.
post #138 of 138 Unread Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
I've decided to sell my Arx 5.0 set up for $750. It's in the classified section. I know I'm probably going to regret it, but the towers are taking too much room, and I'm probably going to go with in-wall or wall mount speakers.
As the Audio World Turns!

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page